1986 Nikko Rhino - A quick & easy project..Ughh!, not another one!

The place for all things Nikko / Toy Grade.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Diggley
Approved Member

1986 Nikko Rhino - A quick & easy project..Ughh!, not another one!

Post by Diggley »

Here's my 1st 1/10th scale ready to run semi-hobby quality car. My 1986 Nikko Rhino.

It's cheap toy store electronics were tossed out years ago for the more user friendly Futaba and Novak set up.

Over the years it's evolved from a buggy, to a Bolink bodied S-10 drag racer, to what it is now.

The body has been passed down to several project ideas over the years.

It was originally installed on my Turbo Ultima which later turned into this: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8967

Later, it almost made it onto this: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12952

Then used as a mock up on this: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20389

The wheels & tires are off my Sand Scorcher, (I liked the Buggy Champ's better)

The engine is out of my Maisto VW bus.

The exhaust is my half-a**ed attempt at a Supertrap muffler...the baffles are actually HPI Super Star wheel adapter washers.

The pipe is from RC10/JG style body mounts with a long 1/4" screw. Body mounts are custom Velcro/cut up Kyosho Ultima Kelron radio plate.

This is by far the simplest project I've done in a long time...
Attachments
IMG_9454.JPG
IMG_9450.JPG
IMG_9449.JPG
IMG_9448.JPG
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: 1986 Nikko Rhino - A quick & easy project..Ughh!, not another one!

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Neat!! When are you going to do a wicked Bus pickup off roader!!!

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Neat!! When are you going to do a wicked Bus pickup off roader!!!

It's patiently waiting it's turn on the shelf... :wink:

I figure the dune buggy or one of the Baja's could use a support vehicle sooner or later... . :D
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Dig, do you drive a 1:1 VW?
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

mrlexan wrote:Dig, do you drive a 1:1 VW?

I've got a '69 Bug I've owned for years, but it's not my daily driver.

It waits patiently.... :D
Projects and shelfers:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

More recycled crappy "Kelron" chassis goodness.. :D

Ft section of old chassis makes great skid plate and bumper mount...bolted right up w/no extra holes!

Now I just need to find a cool bumper that fits an Ultima..
Attachments
IMG_3130.JPG
IMG_3131.JPG
Projects and shelfers:

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

That turned out really nice! I just rebuilt an old Blackfoot. It's nice to get away from the serious RC's and just have fun...Sometime the simplest projects are the most fun.
Jeff

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

SFC K wrote:That turned out really nice! I just rebuilt an old Blackfoot. It's nice to get away from the serious RC's and just have fun...Sometime the simplest projects are the most fun.

Thanks!

Blackfoots are fun builds!...(shamelss plug: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14608)
Mine still isn't finished.

I like the quick and easy stuff. It's great to take a bunch of nothin' and turn it into something..

It's easy to burn out if we take this stuff too seriously.
Projects and shelfers:

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Diggley wrote:
SFC K wrote:That turned out really nice! I just rebuilt an old Blackfoot. It's nice to get away from the serious RC's and just have fun...Sometime the simplest projects are the most fun.

Thanks!

Blackfoots are fun builds!...(shamelss plug: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14608)

I like the quick and easy stuff. It's great to take a bunch of nothin' and turn it into something..

Cool Build! I just checked out your "Total Recall"! Very nice rebuild. Mine did not turn out that nice but runs great now. When I bought the pair, they came with three trailer hitch mounts new in package that were made by APM. If you want one pm me your addy and I will mail you one for yours... :wink:
Jeff

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Diggley wrote: I like the quick and easy stuff. It's great to take a bunch of nothin' and turn it into something..
You've just described almost all my projects... including my 1:1 Miata. And my house.

I always thought those Rhinos had potential. Nice work.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

SFC K wrote:
Diggley wrote:

Thanks!

Cool Build! I just checked out your "Total Recall"! Very nice rebuild. Mine did not turn out that nice but runs great now. When I bought the pair, they came with three trailer hitch mounts new in package that were made by APM. If you want one pm me your addy and I will mail you one for yours... :wink:
I'd love one of those mounts!, but I don't know if it'll fit with the CRP bumper in place...but I might be able to make it work.

Do you have a picture of one?
PM me with a price/shipping and I'll see what I can do... :D
Projects and shelfers:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

markbt73 wrote:
Diggley wrote: I like the quick and easy stuff. It's great to take a bunch of nothin' and turn it into something..
You've just described almost all my projects... including my 1:1 Miata. And my house.

I always thought those Rhinos had potential. Nice work.

:lol: ...too many spare parts= too many projects...I've got to cut back.

Thanks!

I still think they were under-rated simply because of the cheap electronics they came with.

I think it's durability was actually a little higher than most of the Tamiya-type clones of the day.

It's a tank.
Projects and shelfers:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

:wink:

'Looks like the CRP bumper will do just fine for now...
Attachments
IMG_5941.JPG
IMG_5939.JPG
Projects and shelfers: