someone have been ripped, poor sucker...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Hcp22
Approved Member

someone have been ripped, poor sucker...

Post by Hcp22 »

Every Friday I and my wife pack our car so we can leave for our country house directly after work. This time we had a big paper bag with newly washed towels and bed sheets and two bags with our personally things. And at the bottom of the bag we had our laptops…
When I got down to the company parking lot I heard a car alarm, and I thought “ someone have been ripped, poor sucker” … I think you have figure it out, I was the poor sucker that got ripped… It was a smash and grab… :(

It’s not so much thing that was stolen; it’s all after work that will take forever that pisses me of … :twisted:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Phin
Approved Member

Re: someone have been ripped, poor sucker...

Post by Phin »

That really sucks. :| Was there any personal info on your laptops that they could steal your ID? If you haven't done so already you should go around to websites that you have accounts on and change your passwords.

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Phin wrote:That really sucks. :| Was there any personal info on your laptops that they could steal your ID? If you haven't done so already you should go around to websites that you have accounts on and change your passwords.

Thanks for the heads-up; I didn’t have any important stuff and my profile was password protected. The only thing I regret is that it was 6-8 weeks sins I did a backup on the hard drive, so some work and pictures will be lost. :( But the most important document I have I had on my memory stick. And as soon I add something I will leave a backup on the company server. :wink:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Password protection (if on a windows machine) takes a very simple program FROM MICROSOFT to delete the password. Makes you feel safe and cozy but it's very easy to get past. Not sure about apple.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Sorry to hear that. You're right. It's a pain in the ass reporting it and going thru all the paperwork and claims. I had 2 different cars broken into in the early 90's (the golden era of high end car audio theft :roll: ). One car was so badly damaged that it simply wasn't the same ever again and I had to get rid of it. Those guys got caught though. Nothing short of a miracle. A friend of a friend heard one of them running his mouth and the equipment was very specific. The police found it in the idiot's bedroom. The other one is a mystery to this day. I like to think that karma caught up to them...

On a sidenote, the guy that they caught I actually ran into about 6 years ago(some 13 years after the theft). He was an umpire at a softball tournament I was in. I kinda wanted to kick his ass, but he's not a very big guy and there would be very little sport in it (not to mention I'm a very passive person). I had little choice but to chit chat with him at home plate while I was up to bat and it turned out that his life had taken some pretty hard turns. I actually ended up feeling bad for the guy. :roll:

At least no one was hurt! :wink: And hey... time for a new lappy! :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Yes, it’s time for new laptop for me! :D My wife just got a new one, luckily enough it was her old one that got stolen! So it’s her new laptop I’m using for the moment, and hopefully I will get my new one on Monday.

But all this is my one fault; I shouldn’t left things in my car! :oops:
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

gomachv wrote:Password protection (if on a windows machine) takes a very simple program FROM MICROSOFT to delete the password. Makes you feel safe and cozy but it's very easy to get past. Not sure about apple.
On Apples you need an installation DVD for that specific machine, IIRC. The other thing with password protection is that unless the drive is encrypted they can pull your files right off the disk without ever logging into your profile.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Hcp22 wrote: But all this is my one fault; I shouldn’t left things in my car! :oops:
Your fault? I don't think so. Granted, in this day in age leaving valuables inside you car is probably not the best idea, but that still doesn't make it your fault that some scumbag loser can't get get a job and work hard for a living like the rest of us, they just feel entitled to other peoples things. They are probably on welfare and have 16 kids too.