Graphite Runner Build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

oldmanian
Approved Member

hmmmm trouble???

Post by oldmanian »

Alright, since I may have sentenced myself to another build due to all the extras I've order incorrectly, I decided to proceed with my original intended build and sort out the extra later.

I am using the RPM RC10T rear bulkhead and Dubro heavy duty ends all around. I went with a b4.1 top shaft/slipper and stealth and as I finally had some time today, I started putting it all together.

I have an issue. The gear rubs on the 4/40 ball end screw.

I like the bulkhead and the dubro ends, so I'd like to keep them, but I am blanking on how I can get them to all play nicely together.

Any ideas?

foots
Approved Member

Re: Graphite Runner Build

Post by foots »

smaller spur gear

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

button head screw

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

scr8p wrote:button head screw
Looks to be an 81t spur, if your running anything over a 13.5 you don't want to go smaller on the spur, so I'd
Go with the button head screw. If you running 13.5 or smaller, then go with a 75/72 spur-

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

when i use captured rod/heim ends either custom works or dubro i always use a standard ball cup and ball stud on that one spot. it allows for easy diff adjustments, its much easier to pop off a ball cup than unbolt a heim end trackside. on my truck i could never find a good bolt & cone washer combo that wouldnt hit a 93 tooth spur. also when using captured rod/heim ends i always use a 4/40 countersunk screw instead of a cap screw it binds less and its larger so if it were to pop off in a crash you could still limp around and finish a race. see just like this http://www.rdent.com/sprint/sprinthdw.html

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
scr8p wrote:button head screw
Looks to be an 81t spur, if your running anything over a 13.5 you don't want to go smaller on the spur, so I'd
Go with the button head screw. ......-
Thanks gents!!
I will now dig out a 4/40 button head and continue on with the build.
I knew that I was missing something straight-forward.

milkyd
Approved Member

Post by milkyd »

i hope to make a runner soon
LOSI LOVER!

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

Well rear end is done, and now I go to the front and find out that I never remembered to order the Associate 6259 Turnbuckles.

Hopped on to Ebay and got that picked up. Should be here on Monday, and I think that I'll be up and running after that arrives...

but we'll see.... Once I get that in and done, I'll need to re-evaluate another build.
I may just BST some of the stuff I didn't use so someone else builds a runner.....
:D

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

As I had said the back is done.

Picture to prove it :D

Not visible is the new avid bearings and the ceramic diff balls.

I am especially happy about drilling and tapping the ol' 6 gear motor plate to match up to the stealth trans.

So now my quandry is that the Dubro heavy ball links are so much bigger then the stock ball cups that in the front it makes it look like I need to get shorter turnbuckles :?: ....

Need to figure that out, and as is typical, a few small parts went missing so I need to pickup some annoyingly small items....

And last thing, I almost sniped an RC10T as a starter for a wide track buggy. It'd have been a good match for the extra stuff I have, but someoen else snaked it from me.... ah welll... probably best as I need to get this project running, turns out it will be a basher as the local track is not opening because the local municipality is giving them grief about permits and such..... NJ can be a real headscratcher sometimes.... :roll:

Flargen
Approved Member

Post by Flargen »

This thread reflects almost exactly what I'm attempting to do... I'm picking up a set of Dubro ball ends when I get off work, but am curious about what you did to work out the described turnbuckle length issues on the front.

I'd like to use the HD ball links all the way around, but am beginning to realize it might not be possible. Give us an update! :D

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

Flargen wrote:This thread reflects almost exactly what I'm attempting to do... I'm picking up a set of Dubro ball ends when I get off work, but am curious about what you did to work out the described turnbuckle length issues on the front.

I'd like to use the HD ball links all the way around, but am beginning to realize it might not be possible. Give us an update! :D
Superstorm Sandy kinda set me back a bit on this build as I came out of it needing a roof and siding, and once we knew we were in for roof and siding, we had to get some other stuff done. No complaints though as alot of people around me got it so much worse.

Back to RC and this build, I've found a machinist that will make me a thin plate to fit under my shock tower and raise it enough to slid in a LIPO pack. Once that is made and in, I am about 90% there on this and should have some final pics.... I may be getting some more electronics in for it as well. Lastly, I am eyeing up a second build with the leftover parts and Carbonworks/Ebay pickups.

Will post another update soon, but the goal is to run one pack through this ressurection before taking on a second.

Here's to an RC car that is now old enough to buy itself a beer!!! :D