graphite runner

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

knucklebuster
Approved Member

graphite runner

Post by knucklebuster »

Scored this on ebay, sorry in advance if you got sniped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=370512801731&si=XhCGDftdwke98ensyBPfo6YS14U%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I am stoked to have a graphite runner. Overall very good condition, the parts are like new. Houge steering, original ball cups and tie rods were an unexpected bonus. The chassis is near perfect with one additional hole drilled... I just need to drill four more for the stealth. My builds tend to take a long while so don't hold your breath. Ruffy, watch out... this will be converted back to off-road!
Attachments
ebay 153.jpg
ebay 156.jpg
ebay 155.jpg
ebay 154.jpg

tiger1
Approved Member

Re: graphite runner

Post by tiger1 »

lovely deal :lol:

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

Super good deal. I just ordered some misc chassis stuff and there should be a few of the motor protector plates for the graphite chassis, I can give you one since it looks like you need it.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

seth556 wrote:I just ordered some misc chassis stuff and there should be a few of the motor protector plates for the graphite chassis, I can give you one since it looks like you need it.
the 6 gear graphite cars didn't come with them.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

And yet they still drilled the chassis on the TQ10 and the 6030-

seth556
Approved Member

Post by seth556 »

Oh odd, well if you still want one I can get you one, not sure if it fits though!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Charlie don't surf wrote:And yet they still drilled the chassis on the TQ10 and the 6030-
but don't countersink them.....

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

seth556 wrote:Super good deal. I just ordered some misc chassis stuff and there should be a few of the motor protector plates for the graphite chassis, I can give you one since it looks like you need it.
Thank you for the offer. Please hold on to one for me as I have a new built graphite stealth minus the brace. Any parts you might want/need? We can swap at the R/C Asylum!

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

I began to disassemble the buggy and the deal just keeps getting better! The buggy is as good as new (to me). Associated universals, full bearings, original bottom load shocks and caps are perfect. I quickly cleaned the parts and only one of the four arms have a very slight mark. The rod ends are perfect. Man, I am stoked!!!

The tranny hangs up and was the only problem. Just as I expected, the clip on the idler shaft came off and chewed up the gears. Normally an easy fix where I would have spares on hand except that the tranny has Thorp 48 pitch gears. I have a truck load of idlers but no 48 pitch. I actually have another set of 48 pitch gears that have been waiting on idlers for about two years.
Yeah, my builds take a looooong time.

I will end up converting the 6 gear back to the original gears. I still plan to build this buggy with the stealth tranny.

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Obviously you must do as you wish but imho it would be a real shame to drill such a nice 6 gear graphite chassis for stealth :(
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Synergy wrote:Obviously you must do as you wish but imho it would be a real shame to drill such a nice 6 gear graphite chassis for stealth :(
I hear you. If it makes you feel any better I realized there are actually two extra holes in the chassis. My OCD is requiring that I enlarge both as they are off center. If I didn't have plans to race this buggy I would simply enlarge the existing extra holes :)

I sat the chassis in a sink with shallow soapy water and poured near boiling water in to help remove the 2" x 6" area of solid crazy glue. The glue was used to hold on velcro tape for the battery. The chassis appears to have changed to an almost iridescent yellow/green/black color in areas where there was no servo tape or adhesive. Interesting as the tape and some glue was cleaned off prior to the scorching.

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Looks like a nice clean start. Can't wait to see the finished product, but it sounds like we will need to wait a couple years. :lol:

Always wanted a graphite chassis for the RC-10. Someday I will get one and upgrade my original RC-10.

ED

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

soniccj5 wrote:Looks like a nice clean start. Can't wait to see the finished product, but it sounds like we will need to wait a couple years. :lol:

Always wanted a graphite chassis for the RC-10. Someday I will get one and upgrade my original RC-10.

ED
Yeah, pretty stoked about the whole deal. I hope to make this a quick build as Ruffy and the RC Asylum crew have me anxious to race brushless old school buggies. I own zero new rc, all old school stuff. Tried to get vintage races started locally with little interest. ARTR old school faster!!!

The body cleaned up nice. Gave me the idea to rebuild and old school A chassis using the oval parts from the graphite... two runners for the price of one-half!!!

I hope to have the fiberglass mid-motor Trackmaster and tube chassis done in about two years :wink:

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Quick update and spam photos. Digging the cleaned up body to revive the dirt oval rc10. I will try and save the photos from the ebay link as they are the only pictures before cleaning.

The 6 gear is now smooth and rtr. Came with full bearings that did not need to be cleaned. I had original gears ready to go with bearings on the spline plate so the whole rebuild was quick and painless ;)

I have held on to this A stamp chassis for too long. This may be the start of the dirt oval rc10. Same story on the Losi body purchased a while back at the LHS for an rc10. Ended up being a real tight fit. I always thought it would be better suited for the graphite. MY PLAN IS ALL COMING TOGETHER!!!
Attachments
graphite runner 003.jpg
graphite runner 001.jpg
graphite runner 002.jpg

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

The chassis is ready for the stealth... Mantis will unfortunately need to donate several parts for this build.
Attachments
graphite runner 006.jpg
graphite runner 007.jpg
graphite runner 008.jpg