HELP ! LRP SPX8 Esc, will not reverse rotation

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

filzemail
Approved Member

HELP ! LRP SPX8 Esc, will not reverse rotation

Post by filzemail »

Hi, I have an 8th scale LRP SPX8 that I used in a Mugen MBX6 Techno conversion that worked great. Now have a Team C T8E that I am trying to install all of my electronics in but cannot get the esc to reverse rotation. It does not matter which direction I set the throttle, normal or reverse, the motor runs backwards for the application. Counter clockwise, looking at the gear end. I have tried numerous times to reset the esc to no avail. I have even tuned the esc backwards so when the manual says to pull full forward, I pushed the brake and then when setting reverse, I did the opposite and pulled full throttle so that when I pulled the throttle, the wheels turned the proper direction, forward instead of backwards.
However, this creates another problem. The second throttle pull is the brakes and the esc goes into reverse instantly, definitely not acceptable.
Please, can someone with an LRP help me out? How does one reverse the rotation of the SPX8 esc so that it is clockwise looking at the gear end?
thanks in advance
regards
Philip

filzemail
Approved Member

Re: HELP ! LRP SPX8 Esc, will not reverse rotation

Post by filzemail »

Just got a reply from LRP. The SPX8 speed control is only meant to turn counter clockwise looking at the gear end. One cannot reverse the rotation of the motor period. Not the answer I was looking for. Too bad so sad, new esc coming up...

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

hmm is it sensored or sensorless? If sensorless you should just be able to switch any two of the 3 wires to the motor and that will reverse the rotation. Not so sure about sensored.

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

filzemail
Approved Member

Post by filzemail »

This is an LRP SX8 1/8th scale sensored speed control. It will not function non sensored. Sent emails to LRP and North American distributers to no avail. This is only one generation old and is not reversible. I have no choice but to buy another manufacturers speed control. LRP will not help. Boo LRP, all the bad press LRP has been getting just got increased by this post. Will not waste any time or money on any other LRP product.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Read the manual before you purchase, if your needing a reverse rotation setup make sure it's compatible. Don't assume, verify.

It's in the LRP manual...
Attachments
image.jpg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Well, the speed control was purchased specifically for another model, the fact the new model is not to standard specs doesn't change the fact it was purchased for a model in which it was correct. Yes the speed control should have the ability to reverse the rotation, but I would assume the use would only be for a smaller percentage of models that deviate from normal.

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

filzemail
Approved Member

Post by filzemail »

I have had the LRP sx8 since shortly after buying the MBX6 Tekno conversion buggy. I got the LRP because of the LRP reputation, I use LRP X12's in my Losi 22 and my 12th Corally and they work flawlessly. It was just dumb luck that the esc and the Mugen worked together. I had no previous experiences with 8th scale period. The LRP works great in the MBX6. Since deciding on using the Team C T8e, all the problems have surfaced. Unfortunately, now I am forced to look elsewhere for a new speed control. Any new buggys that come out now are able to use almost any esc, most if not all newer generation esc's are reverse abled through the software, either usb card or otherwise. The SX8 is just one generation old, but light years away from the newest ones. I only have Tekins in my 10th and 12th scale vehicles, they are all reversible through the hot wire setup. LRP is reluctant to offer any further assistance or for that matter any assistance. I would shout out to everyone if LRP decided to take care of this one small incident, but fear that my pleas fall on dead ears. I have sent emails to LRP in Germany and spoken to the North American LRP distributer, A main Hobbies, whom LRP suggested getting in touch with, also with zero results. LRP's newest 1/8th esc the iX8 is reversible through a usb connection, hot wire affair. Too bad they will not help this RC racer out.