OH- the Losi XX. Forgotten, the original "modern car".

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: OH- the Losi XX. Forgotten, the original "modern car".

Post by Coelacanth »

knixdad wrote:
jamin wrote:BTW, I'd stick the front bulkhead in some peroxide under a UV lamp to whiten it up - just to keep those AE boys interested :lol:
I'm so scared to do anything to my XX/XXT bulkheads, dying or whitening. Afraid it will weaken it or make it more brittle or something nefarious. They might as well be made of gold anymore.
Actually, soaking old nylon parts in water (or almost-boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes) helps restore the elasticity of the nylon, making it less brittle and rejuvenating it. I mention this because the hot water part is part of the dyeing process. But you can achieve the rejuvenating benefits without the dye.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

Coelacanth wrote:
knixdad wrote:
jamin wrote:BTW, I'd stick the front bulkhead in some peroxide under a UV lamp to whiten it up - just to keep those AE boys interested :lol:
I'm so scared to do anything to my XX/XXT bulkheads, dying or whitening. Afraid it will weaken it or make it more brittle or something nefarious. They might as well be made of gold anymore.
Actually, soaking old nylon parts in water (or almost-boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes) helps restore the elasticity of the nylon, making it less brittle and rejuvenating it. I mention this because the hot water part is part of the dyeing process. But you can achieve the rejuvenating benefits without the dye.
I know that is what is supposed to happen, but I'm out of spares now. If the dang things warp or go south, I'd just weep.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I guess that's why I mentioned it; leaving them as-is may mean they're more brittle and more prone to breakage already. But I understand your concern, those weird Losi front bulkheads are hard to come by. :?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

not really...but I'm sure you can get someone to pick them up for you and act as a middleman if they mean that much to you :wink:
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

I really have a soft spot for the XX car. I used to race dirtoval in the early 90s with nothing but RC10s. I moved to Mo and still raced Associated. I came back to NY in 95 for a year and decided to get back at it. I was at a bullring of a track and for the life of me couldn't get my RC10 Team car to hook up. It was just so awful. Then I ran into an old family friend who was a Losi guy. Handed me the controller to his backup XX. Thing was so smooth and wonderful that I bought it that night. I was hooked on Losi from that point. Fast forward to 2011 and got orders back to NY. Go down to the track with some vintage RCs and run into same friend. Bought his backup XXXT that was butter smooth. I love my RC10s but there is something about Losi cars that I get enough of. So all my modern stuff is Losi and I have the XX to thank for that. I'll look in my parts bins. I broke that chassis on the XX and was saving it. Sadly through the years, I've lost everything to it. But believe I still have the front shocks and possibly the rears. If so, they are yours bud. Get that thing back together!!!

kbillan
Approved Member

Post by kbillan »

WOW! that is super strong of you! Please, by all means, drop me a PM if you find them! I'm sure I can find something around here you might want/need or there is always our green friends..

I am very excited about this build. I probably won't get to mess around much more this week. Busy days ahead of me.

Dying the bulkhead,while is an option.. I'm really hoping I come across a nice little parts load this week which might include that. We will see what my little road trip yields.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

kbillan wrote:WOW! that is super strong of you! Please, by all means, drop me a PM if you find them! I'm sure I can find something around here you might want/need or there is always our green friends..

I am very excited about this build. I probably won't get to mess around much more this week. Busy days ahead of me.

Dying the bulkhead,while is an option.. I'm really hoping I come across a nice little parts load this week which might include that. We will see what my little road trip yields.
Excited to hear what you find! :D

kbillan
Approved Member

Post by kbillan »

Whaa Whaa Whaa..... Drove all the way over to that shop to come back with nearly nothing. Well. Not completely nothing. Nothing overly exciting.

Pair of arms, spindles and carriers and rear hubs. I also found a set of IWC street weapon wheels. I was hoping that they might have still had one of my IWC cars- preferebly the one with the Cyrul carpet knife conversion. Sigh. Waste.

The do have on the wall there about 3 pair of plastic XXT front arms, a graphite pair. A few street weapon parts including the Trinity aluminum motor plate NIP. A couple sets of the threaded bodies for the XXXS, a graphite street weapon chassis- non IWC, a complete graphite conversion for the XXXS which I may grab if I can score my one buddies XXXS which was ran about 5 times.

here is my yield. Sad.

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

Those XX front arms are pretty handy to have NIP!
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

Overrev

Post by Overrev »

Hi guys. Just last week after nineteen years i'm back to rc's. The last car i raced was a losi XX. Its still with me and planning to rebuild/restore her. Its such a good car back in the day and i know i can still win a club race. What i want to know is the difference between stock xx, cr, and kinwald edition. Can i upgrade my stock xx to cr/ke versions? Which upgrade is best? Thanks

LosiXXkid
Approved Member

Post by LosiXXkid »

The first thing that I would recommend you do is to go to http://www.vintagelosi.com and read/ view the Owner's Manual for each version so that you become familiar with all the differences because some are more obvious than others.

Here's the link: http://vintagelosi.com/Manuals.html

You'll then have a better understanding of each version.
~I'm a lot older now than I was then and wish that I knew then what I know now~

Overrev

Post by Overrev »

LosiXXkid wrote:The first thing that I would recommend you do is to go to http://www.vintagelosi.com and read/ view the Owner's Manual for each version so that you become familiar with all the differences because some are more obvious than others.

Here's the link: http://vintagelosi.com/Manuals.html

You'll then have a better understanding of each version.

Thanks LosiXXkid, got me excited there! :D

jamin
Approved Member

Post by jamin »

Overrev wrote:Hi guys. Just last week after nineteen years i'm back to rc's. The last car i raced was a losi XX. Its still with me and planning to rebuild/restore her. Its such a good car back in the day and i know i can still win a club race. What i want to know is the difference between stock xx, cr, and kinwald edition. Can i upgrade my stock xx to cr/ke versions? Which upgrade is best? Thanks
As Losi XX kid says, but the only major difference between the stock XX and the CR/KE edition is the inboard rear toe-in. For that you'll need a new pivot plate, pivot block, wishbones and hubs. Thats it!

kbillan
Approved Member

Post by kbillan »

Sorry. have not updated recently. Been super busy with work and other projects. I did end up scoring two more original cars from a guy who was around when I started. Both have black bulkheads and are in decent shape. I should have a bunch of spare parts as well, when he finds them. I did get a bag of springs, I think every possible color/multiples.

spydur23
Approved Member

Post by spydur23 »

knixdad wrote:
It seems like bitd, that's the only parts I ever had to buy for my losi's!! And nowadays every time I find one, I just plan on searching for a bulkhead before I even look at it lol!