Ultima Mk1 mystery option package kits

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Ultima Mk1 mystery option package kits

Post by Kyoshojoe »

Im starting this thread because for sometime its bugged me that the memories i have of building my first kyosho don't jive with the current historical timeline. I know for a fact it was a Mk1 based package. IT came with a ceramic resistor wiper style msc. it had a ball diff. and full bearings. it had adjustable camber links and I believe sway bars front and rear. The shocks were red, and had standard dog bones and had the 3piece fan wheels. I bought it new at the hobby shop and only things I had to get extra were the rxtx and servos, batteries and a charger. I have a very good memory and always wondered about it. I remember the owner showing it to me and making a point about how this kit came with bearings and motor which I believe was a 240st. I was keen on bearings being a requirement and back then were pretty pricey so it was an appealing sell. I bought the car and put it together and remember the speed control well as I would constantly burn the green tube up and soldering the wiper wire when it broke off was a pain. It had the original dune buggy body with plastic roll cage and pain in the ass rear body mounts that cracked the body. The directions covered everything without addendums to the best of my memory. As I stated I have a good memory and Im pretty sure it wasn't a lhs package, I remember the box had a sticker on it for winning ifmar I think, maybe foil and it had the usual parts vaccum sealed on a display card i believe bearins too. If anyone has had a similar experience please chime in. Ive heard of the possibility that there were special run packages based on location but that usually is continental. for about 2 yrs now I have been researching old kyoshos and never seen mention of a similar experience to mine. the msc is the biggest thing as I remember sandwhiching the servo and resistor between top plate. not he usual circuit board and external resistor 3 speeds. It had a switch to engage reverse. soo many things just don't jive. A little closure would open up a little brain space desperately needed for my past present and future projects. Thanks a bunch

GoMachV

Re: Ultima Mk1 mystery option package kits

Post by GoMachV »

That sounds like the bolink mechanical speed control with reverse. Double side tape to servo, micro switch for reverse, very common upgrade but not sure why it would have come with the kit. The car sounds like a blend of a couple different kits, so maybe some special edition but not something Tower/great planes imported.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Re: Ultima Mk1 mystery option package kits

Post by Kyoshojoe »

i think it was august or september of 87 when I bought it. worked all summer doing yard work and then some to get like 500 dollars for it and the accesories.
resistor mounted with aluminum l brackets and it used the same screws to mount the brackets and servo posts. I pretty sure my friends rc10 was the same. Kinda funny. I mean it was a long time ago but i usually don't mix memories or remember them wrong, I just dont remember if its the case. I think the first gen rc10 had just been released cause my friend got his about 2 weeks after me and I had never heard of associated and the lhs just got em in. Im thinking it might have been kyosho making the kit competitive with the rc10. Oh and the camber links were smooth because I remember having to use pliers. I wish I had the original manual. I can see it in my mind sitting on the garage work bench in my old house, car next to it in parts getting a conversion or repair of some sort . If only I had a time machine. lol