Airbrush and Compressor Questions

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

shodog
Approved Member

Re: Airbrush and Compressor Questions

Post by shodog »

I have a pasche milleium dual action airbrush. It works well and is easy to clean. For compressed air I used to use a small bladder type air brush compressor but it would over heat on long spray jobs. So now I use a standard garage size air compressor where the output is run through a regulator and then a filter. Plenty of volume with no pressure drop.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Thought I'd ask what's a good airbrush for spraying FasGlitter? That's that glittery powder that you mix 1:1 with FasKoat before spraying. FasKoat is kinda thick and gets gummy very quickly, and I can't get it to spray reliably with either of my two budget HobbyKing airbrushes and the .5mm needle/nozzle, or even my cheap HVLP touch-up gun. I love the look of that stuff when it's painted, but I'm looking for a more consistent, controllable spray that won't clog up the airbrush or simply not work at all within 2 seconds of starting to spray it.

I should mention those airbrushes have no problems spraying FasKolor metallics and pearls...only that FasGlitter/FasKoat mixture.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

if its anything like the heavy matalic from Patra i had to use a large tip and turn up the air pressure and spray from a distance to get a nice even covarage

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

integra22t wrote:if its anything like the heavy matalic from Patra i had to use a large tip and turn up the air pressure and spray from a distance to get a nice even covarage
It's not, unfortunately. It's a separate dry glitter that you add in equal ratios to FasKoat, which is rather thick and dries pretty fast. I've used a .5mm needle/nozzle (the largest I've seen recommended for airbrushing water-based paints) and cranked up the air pressure, but I've actually had to take the airbrush nozzle right off in order to spray it. I know lots of other people use FasGlitter with amazing results. I just can't get it to reliably spray for more than a few seconds before my el-cheapo airbrushes refuse to spray anything but air. If it means buying a better airbrush, so be it...but I would also like to hear from people who have used FasGlitter and know what setup works best.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Hey so I picked up a Badger 155 dual action today. I haven't purchased a compressor yet because the guy at the LHS suggested looking for one with a regulator and a water trap. He offered me one for 45 but I decided to keep looking.

I want more than just a small compressor for airbrushing so hoping to find something that is fairly decent. Suggestions?
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

zuki250
Approved Member

Post by zuki250 »

I use a Campbell Hausfield Pancake compressor....I run a water trap out of it and my lines into the water trap..a little loud...but i use it for other stuff around the house...it's 6 gallons so it doesnt turn on that much either

twinrider1
Approved Member

Post by twinrider1 »

I'm about to buy my first airbrush, a Hobby King (TG-130-K).

Is it wise to buy a spare set of needles at the same time? Is that a common need?

Thanks.