Airbrush and Compressor Questions

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC104ever
Approved Member

Airbrush and Compressor Questions

Post by RC104ever »

Hey guys, so I stopped in at a LHS today and asked the guy about airbrush kits. He recommended starting out with a Badger 350 because it would be easy to clean and a good way to get started painting.

He also suggested if I wanted to go to something a bit more advanced and he explained about how you can do fine or wide lines with the same nozzle on a Badger 150.

SO...my question to you knowledgeable folks is what is a good airbrush to get started with when you've never had or used one before?

In my mind, I'd rather get one I can do more with even if it means practicing more to get the hang of it.

But in either case, I will need an air compressor.

So that leads me to my next question.

I know nothing about them - what size to get, type etc. BUT...I was thinking that I wouldn't mind having one that I can also use for air tools in the garage for my car. I don't currently have anything but I figured that a compressor would be a good place to start. Or would that be huge overkill for an airbrush? :mrgreen:
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Re: Airbrush and Compressor Questions

Post by Johnboy72 »

Just to piggy back here, can people post up some setups on the compressor setups? I'm curious about finally venturing into airbrushing. I do have some NIB minitruck gear laying around like a Plug n Play, tanks, watertraps, etc. I wonder how hard it'd be to wire up a compressor meant for automotive use for airbrush use?

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

This compressor is very similar to the one I'm using

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/1/CompressorsAirTools/Compressors/PRD~0587914P/Mastercraft+8G+Compressor.jsp?locale=en

It's working well for painting bodies and I can play with the different pressures for detail work.

My brush I've been using is a Badger, gravity feed with a dual action trigger. It's great for beginners to professionals because you don't have to play around with fine tuning your trigger skill right away.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Keep an eye on kijiji for a compressor.

I bought a hobbyking airbrush and I am super happy with it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9294
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Vintagemishal
Approved Member

Post by Vintagemishal »

I painted for about 20 years with a Badger. They are good brushes and good to learn on. The 150 and I think the 350 are single action brushes which mean you cannot control your paint flow as well. You can adjust the nozzle and control the paint a bit, but a dual action brush has much more control. The dual action will take a bit more learning though. I use an Iwata Eclipse and I will most likely never want for another brush unless I decide I can't live without that new Harder Steenbeck one, and that is only because it looks so freaking cool! An Iwata brush will cost more up front, but you will never need another brush. As far as compressors, I use a 1.5 HP Devilbliss that is about 20 years old. It is loud, but does a great job. The key with a compressor is getting one that you can control the air flow. I paint anywhere from 5 - 50 psi. Here is the Iwata and the Steenbeck.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I have been using the Badger Patriot Arrow, similar to this one.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Does this compressor seem like it would be sufficient? We have a Harbor Freight right in town so I wouldn't even have to pay shipping. I don't want to get it and it be a waste though.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/compressors-oil-free/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

slapshot1979 wrote:Keep an eye on kijiji for a compressor.

I bought a hobbyking airbrush and I am super happy with it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9294
I picked up two of those, but haven't used them yet. I've heard that they perform just as good as the far-more-expensive brand-name models. Slap, I might be PM'ing you for some tips once I finally get around to trying one out. I've only been using an el-cheapo HVLP automotive spray gun up to this point, these Hobbyking brushes are a lot more intricate. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Does this compressor seem like it would be sufficient? We have a Harbor Freight right in town so I wouldn't even have to pay shipping. I don't want to get it and it be a waste though.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/compressors-oil-free/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html
As long as you can adjust the PSI you should be fine! This one looks to have a built in regulator so I think it will work perfect! One other thing to consider is a moisture trap. If you live in a high humidity environment, you need one! :wink:

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

slotcarrod wrote:One other thing to consider is a moisture trap. If you live in a high humidity environment, you need one! :wink:
Thanks for the tip Rod. It gets ridiculously hot and humid here in the Summertime so I'll look into that.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:
slotcarrod wrote:One other thing to consider is a moisture trap. If you live in a high humidity environment, you need one! :wink:
Thanks for the tip Rod. It gets ridiculously hot and humid here in the Summertime so I'll look into that.
Indeed, just ask Colonel Angus about the heat & humidity down south... :mrgreen:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Coelacanth wrote:Indeed, just ask Colonel Angus about the heat & humidity down south... :mrgreen:
"Do you think he'll be here soon?". :lol:
Ken

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I can't believe that Hobbyking has a brush for $17.99! Crazy - as long as it works, I will get one and then spend the cash on a good compressor.
- Chris

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Ok everyone so I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on an airbrush and compressor but I am really confused.

I know the difference between single and dual action - but do I want to get the dual action and just learn on it? Or am I better off getting the single action since it will be easier to learn on?

Do I want gravity or suction / bottle feed?

As for a compressor - I really really want to kill 2 birds with one stone. So I want a GOOD compressor that will run this AND be able to run some automotive air tools. Cost is not an issue - give me a good one.

But I'm looking at all these compressors and there is a set of tools at Canadian Tire right now for less than 100 Cdn. But they say two of the tools requires 5 SCFM at 90 psi. So far I've only seen a handful that can do this.

There seems to be no uniform rule - ie larger tank doesn't mean larger compressor. Very frustrating trying to look for one. Moisture trap? Oil less? What kinds of adaptors should it have? How do I know if it will be adjustable or not?

Alternative is to just buy whatever kind of small compressor just for air brushing but I still don't know what to look for.

Sorry for the mini rant but I hate it when I have cash burning a hole in my wallet and I can't figure out what to buy!!!
- Chris

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

think of a spray can for single action .. push down and you get air and paint

doubble action you push down and you get air .. pull back and you get paint

kind of like mig vs tig welders ... you can control the air and paint to give you more control and less splater

i run 3 bager 150s and they are easy to use .. the only thing is pick up a bunch of the nylon seals for the tip and neddle as you will need a new set eveytime you break the gun down

as for compresures ... i run a 5gal 1/3 hp comp with water traps and have never had a problem ... but it would be too small to run any auto tools ... if you have sanders or diegrinders they hog the air so see what kind of supply they need and start there .. now you can run the air brushes off a large comp as long as you have a ajustable pressure regulator you will be fine