parma fasmask Liquid mask

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DMAT
Approved Member

parma fasmask Liquid mask

Post by DMAT »

i havent used liquid mask before but im wondering about how well it seals. If I cut a line but dont remove the piece, will paint bleed through the cracks to the body.

I'm thinking that before I spray anything, I cut all the edges of my design and if it bleeds through, it will add a small outline around the design.

Also any recommendation on the number of coats to make a thick enough layer to prevent paint getting through? i was told like 4 to 6 and that seems like it could be a little much.

again, I've never used the product.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: parma fasmask Liquid mask

Post by Coelacanth »

The paint won't bleed through the X-Acto knife scores. What you do is, after you apply several coats of FasMask (the thicker it is, the easier it'll be to peel off), you score ALL your lines. Then you simply remove the sections and paint one color at a time, until you get to the windows. You'll want to apply at least 3 or 4 fairly consistent but thick coats if using a paintbrush. You need to dry out each coat before doing the next; use a hair dryer for this, it really speeds things up.

I actually thinned mine with water to the consistency of milk and sprayed it on with an airbrush or cheap automotive HVLP touch-up gun. You can apply at least 6 or 7 heavy coats this way and use much less FasMask, and the coats spray on thinner, more consistently and dry much faster (especially with the hair dryer blasts between coats). With brushing on, you get the paint collecting in pools in some tight areas where it takes a long time to dry.

After you've seen how cleanly the mask sections peel off--with NO bleed-through (unless your scores aren't clean)--you won't want to go back to taping.

When scoring the mask, you score very lightly--just lightly enough that you can barely feel the Lexan. If you keep it light, it actually makes the scoring job easier. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I should mention one tip: When painting a light color, be sure to also back that color BEFORE unmasking and moving on to the next color, to prevent that overlying color from darkening or changing your previous color.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

DHood
Approved Member

Post by DHood »

Bob dively liquid mask is wayyyy better than the Parma

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

DHood wrote:Bob dively liquid mask is wayyyy better than the Parma
Better how? I remember asking that exact same question here years ago and nobody could provide reasons why it's so superior. I tried finding it myself but couldn't find it anywhere locally. Thus, the cost to buy it would add shipping and it becomes a significantly more expensive product. FasMask does just fine when applied per the directions. :)

Qballll
Approved Member

Post by Qballll »

Like Coelacanth said the thicker is better 3-6 light coats. Some one on here was using a spray bottle and watering it down, seems to me that would be an easy way to apply.

To help with clean cuts .
1. Use a new blade
2. Do not go over the same cut again and again
3. Make sure its completely dry.

Other helpful tips:
I've used thin plastic to cut a design, (lines and shapes) and then held it in place to use as a template to score the design on the body. You can flip the plastic cut out shape over and have a mirror image.

Good luck!

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Coelacanth wrote:
DHood wrote:Bob dively liquid mask is wayyyy better than the Parma
Better how? I remember asking that exact same question here years ago and nobody could provide reasons why it's so superior. I tried finding it myself but couldn't find it anywhere locally. Thus, the cost to buy it would add shipping and it becomes a significantly more expensive product. FasMask does just fine when applied per the directions. :)
I'd like to know too
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

DHood
Approved Member

Post by DHood »

It's been so long ago I don't remember what exactly it was I didn't like about it, But I told myself I would never use it again. Maybe if you tried Dively mask you would know for yourself why is better. You sound like you're against trying it. Actually I really don't use liquid mask that much, It just depends on the paint job

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

DHood wrote:Maybe if you tried Dively mask you would know for yourself why is better. You sound like you're against trying it.
No, it's because it's not available anywhere locally, and I'm against paying double for something that MAY not do anything better than a locally-available product. 8)

Johnny-RC

Post by Johnny-RC »

I use Bod Dively over FasMask too. It goes on more smooth and even and when dry, stays more tacky/rubbery, don't really know how to explain it better then that, but Parma Fasmask seams more brittle when peeling it off, and doesn't go on as smooth. Dively peels off easier as well with less coats. I typically put 3 coats on with a 2 inch bristle brush and that's plenty. But honestly, not that big of a deal to really matter, but if I have the choice I always choose Dively.

I never cut the body out before hand, just my preference. Wash with warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly, let dry. When dry paint on first coat of mask, let each coat dry completely. I don't use heat, but I do use a fan to help with dry time. Repeat until you have 3-4 coats on. I use a blue sharpie to draw my design on the thin protective plastic overspray coat on the outside. Blue sharpie seams to stand out better then black for me, dont know why. Work in bright light! This is important to see where your cuts are. An adjustable desk lamp is very helpful. Use sharp blades and the type of blade is important also. i use scoring blades, they seam to work better for me. Press just hard enough to cut the mask with out scoring the lexan much.

This is the blade I use.
http://xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/blades/classic-blades/Scoring-Blade-16.aspx

Long winded I know..... sorry. Hope it help :)

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

I do the same as Johnny except I use a maroon scuff pad on the body (try to stay away from the windows as much as possible) then wash and dry it. I also use a hair dryer after each coat of paint to set it. I have never had a body flake paint off.

Spoon
Approved Member

Post by Spoon »

Excellent advice Johnny, I'm going to get a scoring blade and try this out. I don't have to much experience painting/masking but this stuff sounds not to bad to work with.

Beau S
Approved Member

Post by Beau S »

IF I use liquid mask, I prefer to use Bob's. In my experience, when you brush apply it, and you get really thin areas, Bob's still holds together better. Meaning you can still carefully lift and remove that really thin piece of Mask with lil effort. When I've done the same thing with Parma's LM, I cant pull the really thin layer off. I have to use a toothpick and slowly scrap it off the area, bcz it cracks and flakes away. That's my experience.

When they are both the thickness they should be, I don't really notice any difference.

Even with all the times Ive used Liquid Mask, I still prefer Painters/Scotch Tape for most masking. Its just faster for me, just like I still mostly use laquer paint instead of the water based stuff.

josh
Approved Member

Post by josh »

personally I like Fasmask better. It is just cleaner and more refined. Once youve had a bad "batch" of Divley's you'll understand. It goes rancid and smells like vomit. Just the thing I want to be sticking my head in for hours at a time :shock:

Beau S
Approved Member

Post by Beau S »

josh wrote:personally I like Fasmask better. It is just cleaner and more refined. Once youve had a bad "batch" of Divley's you'll understand. It goes rancid and smells like vomit. Just the thing I want to be sticking my head in for hours at a time :shock:
Did you get a batch with the lil crunks in it?

ya.. no fun