Wood Racing '96 Worlds Pro-10 Pan Car

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Phin
Approved Member

Wood Racing '96 Worlds Pro-10 Pan Car

Post by Phin »

Posted pics of this car a couple of times already but since I'm finally doing something with it I figured I'd give it it's own thread. I bought this car off eBay last year and it turned out the seller was Dave Irrgang of IRS (Irrgang Racing Service), and it was the car he raced at the IFMAR 1996 Worlds race. However, before he decided to sell it he had thought about trying to race it again and replaced some original parts with modern stuff. :|
Irrgang96Wrlds.jpg

Parts that are modern are the shock (obviously), the servo mounts, the wheels, and the rear axle bearing/ride height adapters. Other stuff might have been changed too but those are the parts I know weren't around in '96. Unfortunately, Dave Irrgang couldn't remember how he had the car set up or what electronics/body he ran, and I haven't found any pics of this car in race coverage so restoring it to how it was raced at the Worlds seems to be impossible.

Actually, until member Pro10 posted a pic of his car I hadn't seen pics of a Wood car like mine anywhere. I still don't know what model name it went by or if it was a production car or not. I know Wood Racing sold a 1/10 wide road coarse car called the Hurricane but, like almost all of the Wood cars I've seen, that used a t-bar.

The eBay lot also included a few new parts but not enough to complete a second car.
Irrgang96Wrlds4s.jpg
Up until recently I had wanted to keep Irrgang's car intact and recreate the missing pieces for the second car but I've decided it's more trouble than it's worth. Since I have no way of recreating the car to how it was raced in '96 I'm just going to build off the new parts and scavenge what I need off of the raced car. :P

So far new Ti screws:
pic2.jpg

While I had the cars apart I also snapped a comparison shot of the new and raced chassis. They're mostly the same except at the back. The new chassis is cut in more at the rear corners so the links don't bottom out like they do on the raced chassis. Again, I've got no real info on the car so I don't know how it's significant. :)
pic1.jpg

Phin
Approved Member

Re: Woods Racing '96 Worlds Pro-10 Pan Car

Post by Phin »

Pod, shocks, and links.
Attachments
pic3.jpg

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Pic of the IRS Ultimate Diff:
pic4.jpg
...and the money shot:
pic5.jpg

A Dahm's Spice WSC Open Cockpit body will eventually cover the car when it gets painted. Who knows when the hell that will happen though. :oops:

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Looks great! I know what you mean on the paint. I hate painting.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

GoMachV wrote:Looks great! I know what you mean on the paint. I hate painting.
Thanks.

Too much pressure painting old bodies that aren't easy to replace. :x

I should send them to Andy...Dahm's bodies with an Andy's signature would be pretty neat.

sandkil
Approved Member

Post by sandkil »

Phin wrote:
GoMachV wrote:Looks great! I know what you mean on the paint. I hate painting.
Thanks.

Too much pressure painting old bodies that aren't easy to replace. :x

I should send them to Andy...Dahm's bodies with an Andy's signature would be pretty neat.
Nice looking car 8)
I know what you mean in regards to old body's. First you have to cut and ream it correct then try to get decent paint on it...I thought I had lost the Lumina for the 10Lss build, but I think I have saved it.