New Custom RC10T

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

n20capri
Approved Member

New Custom RC10T

Post by n20capri »

Teaser. Had to grab these from the phone real quick...build pics on Camera - left that at my folks...Grrrr.

Turning out real nice...super happy with it. :)

Still not done though waiting on a few parts...but the body is done! Muhahaha! lol
Attachments
10T.jpg

Morpheus

Re: New Custom RC10T

Post by Morpheus »

Body looks cool.

CruzinCustomz
Approved Member

Post by CruzinCustomz »

Should be interesting... 8)

firebird1999us
Approved Member

Post by firebird1999us »

Any updates?

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

Finally got some pics...

Been working on this for a long time. Trying to find cheap, used ebay stuff to go along with spare parts I've been collecting over the years - basically cobbling it together with various AE parts. Finding B44 f/r diffs was tough - especially at a budget price. I ended up finding diffs from a TC3 - actually 2 front diffs as the rear diff mounts the motor in a spot that won't work in the tub chassis. B44 center section was also found as a cheap take off. Got lucky on that one as it came with the complete with the bulkhead and motor mount. Front suspension is B44 stuff as it's super cheap - even cheaper as a take off with bearings and hardware!

Typical must have's for me - all main parts must be AE (diffs, center section, shocks etc). I knew I wanted huge tires, an old school Ford truck body and of course I wanted it to be RC10T all the way. Nose tubes and the rear "motor guard" are iconic RC10 pieces IMO - so I knew I'd have to have them. Also, as much as I LOVE 3d printing and making parts I wanted to try to stay away from a lot of 3D printed parts for this one. Only thing I'm thinking is diff to chassis bracing...but we'll see.

I trimmed off the factory stabilizer bar mounting ears...(I trimmed them both - pic for comparison) - these diffs happened to have a solid center section too - which is an option for the TC3 apparently - I didn't know this initially. Will be great for a Monster Truck I think...

Rear diff popped in for mock-up - perfect fit - will be able to re-use 2 existing holes - and 2 new holes have to be drilled but great clearance from other holes. I didn't want to hog out the bulkhead so this is the route I went...

Still mocked-up with more suspension components

Stock trans brace - esc shelf perhaps now???

Front bulkhead trimmed and flipped!

Misc parts and stuff

Other pics of rear mock-up - I really love the B5 rod ends! Unfortunately, I had to go with the expensive turnbuckles cause I couldn't get a full set of the cheapo's in the sizes I needed...

That's it for now - have to dig up other pics...lol
Enjoy!

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

nice job! looks like you might end up with some pretty good dogbone plunge. You might be able to find the rpm or custom works rear hubs that raise the axle in height to alleviate that.

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

jwscab wrote:nice job! looks like you might end up with some pretty good dogbone plunge. You might be able to find the rpm or custom works rear hubs that raise the axle in height to alleviate that.
Thanks! I'm thinking with the stock 1/4" axles and that factory spring I should be ok as-is - but we'll see what some bashing proves. The short TC3 out drives are definitely going to be a problem in the front though!

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

Pics of the progress of the front diff...The plan is to use the stock RC10T steering. I decided B44 steering won't work (over the trans steering) because of where diff trans needs to mount...So I will slightly raise the front diff and have the stock steering go under it...

Steering parts...

In "position"...

Other steering parts mounted - Custom drag bar in place. This had to be tweaked multiple times...

The front bulkhead is flipped and the shocks are mounting on the "inside" - this allows everything to line up nicely. I will have to slightly modify the bulkhead to allow mounting of the nose tubes in a "stock" manner.

There was a lot of thinking and looking since I was getting parts piece meal and when they were available (used or take-off) - but it's coming together nicely. The diff is "raised" using stock lower shock ball...the height seems good but once everything is tweaked and fitted I will measure and make something custom if need be. I definitely will need to order longer countersunk screws...

The front end is going to be tricky since there is a ton of travel - the short TC3 out drives are causing problems...sliding adjustable dog bones would cure the problem - nothing available as bolt-in - space is tight between the camber arm and the shock so it's got to be super slim...Pre-lim design...

More pics to follow...enjoy.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Look into crawler type applications for sliding driveshafts. You are also going to want to use a cvd or uni style at both ends

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Technically he could have a strong spring inside the driveline pushing it apart which should allow him to use it with a standard dogbone end.
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yes, true.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

They make a few styles of sliding shafts for the Traxxas Slash. I've also found, that nearly all companies use the same dimensions for most critical sizes, meaning you can swap ends to get what you need. Been through this a few times with my Slash 4x4, and also my Optima.

n20capri
Approved Member

Post by n20capri »

clm wrote:Technically he could have a strong spring inside the driveline pushing it apart which should allow him to use it with a standard dogbone end.
This is what I was thinking...
yellowdatsun wrote:They make a few styles of sliding shafts for the Traxxas Slash. I've also found, that nearly all companies use the same dimensions for most critical sizes, meaning you can swap ends to get what you need. Been through this a few times with my Slash 4x4, and also my Optima.
I looked at a ton of stuff but couldn't find anything that would work. There is very little room between the bone (stock thickness bone) and the shock and nose tube. Not sure what I'd do on the outdrive side of things either...

Some new pics...

Mocking up the center diff...I will most likely be mounting it dead center so I can easily swap motors or pinions. Also, I won't be milling the chassis for the spur gear - just using a washer to move it up off the chassis...

Also those take off TC3 diffs are the "solid axle" type - good for traction but I'm sure it's going to make for some super wide turns! lol

3D printed Hex adapter

Rear Chassis brace...worked great...this and the hex's are the only 3d printed parts on this project...super cheap too...

3D printed prototype of the sliding bone idea - the plastic version worked perfectly. I did have to really get in there to remove some plastic dust and stuff. But in talking to shapeways about stainless they weren't confident about tolerances and said I'd have to trial and error for fitment...No thanks. Trying to clean out metal or clearance myself at home would be way too difficult I think

My initial thought was to have a mini spring inside the axle side but couldn't find anything small enough. I was playing with an automatic fishing lure thingy my brother-in-law gave me with some springs on it and I had a eureka moment...PEN spring on the outside! lol. Apparently pen springs are the perfect size! haha

[youtube]Nyeti5QxGNY[/youtube]

And I'll whore up some real car stuff since it auto-played in the background as I was linking the vid above! Turn up your speakers for this one if you like burnouts! haha

[youtube]GSV0XUvyhcU[/youtube]

(and the car - meaning to post some pics in the other section but haven't done it yet)

Enjoy!

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

not sure which I lust after the most... the small or the big one...

that's bombastic stuff, mate! Both of them 8)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Jimbo302
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo302 »

Whoa, whoa, WHOA.... SVO, Capri RS!?

Tell me more.

Wait, is that an ASC Capri?