The Dragula!

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: The Dragula!

Post by Coelacanth »

The one issue with a wide front is the steering could be overly twitchy. Narrowness helps a dragster run straight. Beautiful job of fabrication, of course! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Coelacanth wrote:The one issue with a wide front is the steering could be overly twitchy. Narrowness helps a dragster run straight. Beautiful job of fabrication, of course! 8)
Thanks! The whole thing will probably run like crap, it'll sure look cool though. :lol: And that's all that matters with this build. :mrgreen:

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

The battery fits nicely. You shouldn't need more than that.
Dad didn't run a car, but used to go to big events a lot. He has some old 8mm movies taken in the 60's from somewhere around Dallas. I'd love to get them put on DVD.
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Russ Winn wrote:The battery fits nicely. You shouldn't need more than that.
Dad didn't run a car, but used to go to big events a lot. He has some old 8mm movies taken in the 60's from somewhere around Dallas. I'd love to get them put on DVD.
That would be cool to see!

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Here's a peek at what I'm working on. Got the steering servo mounted, chassis bracing at the firewall is done, hammering and grinding away on the body. Lot's to do!

The body so far. Still have tons of forming and cutting to do, I went with aluminum to save weight.

Not sure if the little windshield will make it. I may scrap it and do one from aluminum.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Killer project. I've wanted to do something like this just never made it to it yet. Keep up the good work. I like watching your builds

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

romulus22 wrote:Killer project. I've wanted to do something like this just never made it to it yet. Keep up the good work. I like watching your builds
Thanks! I hope to get farther on it this week. I'm currently trying to figure out what hardware to use for the steering. I'll probably make my own tie rods to get a more scale look.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

I just received these 1/10 scale billet aluminum small block chevy valve covers from RC4WD. This solves one problem.

I mocked up how I will build the engine over the battery cover. The battery will install from underneath.

I think it will look killer once done. The block will be scratch made from brass.

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

That is going to be sweet lookin! I will use some of your tech on rebuilding my street rod. Nice work so far.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Killer! "Big Daddy" Don Garlits would be proud 8)

bats
Approved Member

Post by bats »

What kind of rear tires are you using?

rkl
Approved Member

Post by rkl »

Great looking project!! Perfect and nice (soldering) work! For the look I would keep the "rubber" kind tyres (in the rear) - for better driveability I would use soft foam rear tyres (depending on the weight of the car -> 20 - 30 shore? "Green" or "yellow" compond was soft like this back in the days...). And put a lot of "Expo" on the steering to calm down steering reaction around the "straight away" position for smoother steering reaction... if i`ts just for going straight and you have some space left over maybe a small gyro box between reciever and steering servo would be an option (carefully not to mount it on the "wrong" position ((steering increase to the side the car spins out - not steering against the spin)) and adjust the "gyro reaction")...

rkl
Approved Member

Post by rkl »

...just see it...maybe its possible to gave the front axle a few grades of caster/camber - don`t know the right word -> I mean just lean the "Kingpings" of the steering arms with the upper side a little bit 3-5 grad towards the rear tyres (like this: //)...that makes the car easier on the steering...could be also improved by a little bit toe in (or maybe also toe out) of the front tyres...

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Thanks guys! I'm going to try and get a lot done so I should have a much better update this week.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

rkl wrote:...just see it...maybe its possible to gave the front axle a few grades of caster/camber - don`t know the right word -> I mean just lean the "Kingpings" of the steering arms with the upper side a little bit 3-5 grad towards the rear tyres (like this: //)...that makes the car easier on the steering...could be also improved by a little bit toe in (or maybe also toe out) of the front tyres...

I'm thinking the same thing. I think I'll try to make another axle also that's more narrow. I just ordered some more material for it. Really tough to make the bends on that axle and still have enough material to tap and thread. Wish I could weld aluminum. Great idea on the gyro too! I think I'll see if I can squeeze it in.