A couple of new projects

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ChuckW

A couple of new projects

Post by ChuckW »

After a long stint away from the rc car hobby, I got the itch to relive a little of my past, and so I started looking an RC12e as it was the first race car that I had back in 1983, and was what started the rc racing bug for me. While digging around on epay, I found a a couple of cars, one 12e and a 12i. Of course I had to have them both, so I jumped on them and here we are. I hoping to do a complete period correct restoration on both cars, but we'll see what happens. So far I've found several new parts for them including wheels and donuts, so I should be good there. Cool thing is both cars came with original build instructions. As you can see, I've already stripped down the 12i and have the parts soaking in peroxide.
Attachments
Docs.jpg
my 12i.jpg
997453080_tp.jpg
997453080_tp.jpg (19.67 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
997453080_tp.jpg
997453080_tp.jpg (19.67 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
doc.jpg
doc.jpg (113.14 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
doc.jpg
doc.jpg (113.14 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
my 12e3.jpg
My 12e.jpg

DaveM
Approved Member

Re: A couple of new projects

Post by DaveM »

Nice, should be a good project.
:)

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Ahh... blast from the past! Very cool project, best of luck :D
Bum on Direct Deposit

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

I look forward to seeing updates to this thread. Those are great looking cars. Congratulations. 8)
Something clever goes here...

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

Awesome, ChuckW! Glad to see fellow pan junkies making their way back into the hobby! The 12e and i's are true classics and I can't wait to check progress on yours! :D

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Thanks guys. Things are progressing right along. Both cars are stripped down and all nylon parts are getting a peroxide bath. They've only been soaking a few days but the change so far has been dramatic. I also spent some time on the chassis, giving the a light sanding to remove some of the scapes and polish them up a bit. My goal is not to over restore the cars, but to make them good clean examples of their type.

Parts are also starting to come in. I've scored some NOS Associated donuts for both cars, as well as an assortment of other small misc NOS parts. I also scored this vintage Futaba radio. I'll get more pics up tomorrow.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Ok guys, here's an overdue update.

Parts have been removed from the peroxide bath and have been rinsed thoroughly. BTW, I let the parts soak for about 10 days total and I would pull them out and use an old toothbrush to clean the stubborn areas. I would also change the peroxide every four days, seemed to work well as the results are outstanding. Here is a pic of the 12 parts.
Parts 3.jpg
While the parts were soaking I was gathering some of the small parts that I needed to bring these classics back to life. Between eBay and a few other sources I managed to gather up several Associated NOS parts including some of very elusive factory donuts. I still have more parts on the way, but here are a few.
Parts 2.jpg
I also sourced some high impact polystyrene that makes a great substitute for the factory stuff. Same thickness, same flex and weight, just not shiney, but that can be fixed with some plastic polish. With my sheet of polystyrene in hand, Inset about making replacement bumpers for the cars and a new radio tray for the 12e. Here is a pic of the rough cut parts. Still have some cutting and drilling to do, but you get the point.
Tray and bumpers.jpg
I have also spent a little time polishing up some parts, again, I'm not going for show, but for a good clean look.
Shiney stuff.jpg
And finally a little reassembly progress. Still haven't final sanded the replacement 12e parts so this is just a mock-up, but the bumper on the 12i is finished. I haven't decided if I'm going to polish the plastic or not.
12i 1.jpg
And another.
the pair 2.jpg
Still figuring out the electronics, but I am going with a Novak receiver and speed control for the 12i. Just need to find an appropriate steering servo. I've also decided to use the resistor on 12e, but unsure about servo models. I know I want Futaba, but unsure of which ones....suggestions are welcomed here.

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Well, the 12e is coming right along. Everything cleaned up and refitted. All electronics tested, motor cleaned and bushings lubed up and running good. Ignore the steering linkages, they are temporary until I can get some new music wire. Still need to glue and true the tires, fit and paint the TOJ body and few other little tidy up items.
Attachments
20180819_163318.jpg
20180819_163303.jpg
20180819_163245.jpg
20180819_163220.jpg
20180819_163233.jpg

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

Very nice! Everything looks brand new! Someday, I will need to add one to my stable. But I am trying hard not to buy any more till I get most of my current pan cars finished! Otherwise, I will get side tracked all over again! :wink:

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Had a few minutes to myself last night so I thought I would make a wing for the 12e. So, a little styrene and about 10 minutes later we had this. Not sure if I'll keep it or not, just playing with ideas.
Attachments
20180820_204642.jpg
20180820_204417.jpg
20180820_204357.jpg
20180820_204454.jpg

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Very nice work Chuck. Although I'd basically disregarded using styrene in the past for various reasons, I've recently discovered that it's actually a great material to use with RC. It's easy to work (shape, cut, glue, paint, etc.), it's readily available online or in crafts stores in a wide range of shapes and thicknesses and it's actually very durable. I've used it to finish the engine bay (body mounts, inner fenders, etc.) of an SCX10/Jeep conversion and I'm building a TF2/Blazer and using styrene to build a detailed interior, engine bay and even the faux motor itself. I've also used it to build a gear cover for my Pro SC 4x4. It's great stuff.
Doug

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Thanks xlr8, this car will never be run in anger but only occasionally driven for fun, so I'm not worried about the wing breaking. This is just a mock up anyway, just wanted to see what it might look like.

I love styreen for modeling. Like you, I've discovered I can build most anything with it and it's really pretty durable. I like to use plasiweld to assemble it, it makes a stronger joint than CA.

Check out this link if you want to see what a master can do with styreen. This guy has crazy building skills.

http://builtupmodels.wixsite.com/built-up-models/full-scratch

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Oh my! Well, my old Blazer will never contain that much detail - not even close. I guess that just proves that you could make anything with styrene if you have the time and talent.
I set my goals a bit lower. One day I want to try to replicate a Yokomo molded wing in styrene. If it works, I'll run it on one of the buggies. If it breaks, I'll just build another one. :D
BTW, is there anywhere to race in Nashville? I'm about 2 hours south.
Doug

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Hey Doug, there are a few race tracks outside of Nashville, but nothing real close that I know of. The track closest to you is Apex raceway and hobbies. They have an indoor carpet road course and an indoor carpet off-road course. It's a fairly nice place.

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

The fun continues. I started messing with the 12i a little tonight. Started placing the electronics and looking at wire routing and management. I still need to change the connectors on the speed control and the steering servo, but that is easy. I wanted to see how much wire I needed and where best to route it first. After I get everything placed I'll change the connectors and start assembling the steering linkages and get the motor and axle in the car. I also picked up some music wire so I can rebuild the linkages on the 12e. Once that's done I'll be on to painting up and mounting the TOJ body....I think....maybe, still undecided on the body.
Attachments
20180822_185711.jpg
20180822_185646.jpg