Forum News & Discussion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jwscab

Re: Forum News & Discussion

Post by jwscab »

Thank you for keeping this place moving forward!!!! it's my favorite place on the interwebs....

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

After six months, It's that time again... The board software needs to be updated to the latest version. It will be happening this coming Thursday the 8th. The board will be down initially while it's happening, and then it might take the rest of the day to get everything back to normal. It's all dependent on how smooth things go.

I'll also be transferring the domain name away from its current registrar to where I keep all of my other domain names. That may cause additional down time.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Alright, the board software update is finished! I've updated the skins as well. Next up is to get all of the modifications working again including redoing all the little nuances I've made.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Modifications are back to functioning properly besides the lightbox images mod. I have to reinstall that, and still make a bunch of little changes. That won't be until later today though as it's past 5:00am here and I'm going to sleep. Image

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I've worked on the this place for the better part of the last 24 hours, and we're more or less back in business again from the upgrade. It sucks that the board has to be basically rebuilt from scratch after every update. :| Anyway, One new feature I installed is a 'similar topics' mod. At the bottom of each thread it gives suggestions on other potentially similar topics. :idea:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I'm noticing the ad banner on a cell using Android is overlapping down into the first thread row. Minor annoyance but wanted to let you know .

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I'm glad you let me know. I'm in the process of changing the way that ads are placed entirely. The problem is in order to put ads on here natively, they have to be hard coded into each skin/theme. That's the way it's been done on here since the beginning. Luckily there's a whole advertisement system mod that's available now. I tried installing it a year and a half ago but it wouldn't let me. There was something wrong with the database that wasn't allowing it. I couldn't get much help from support so I went back to hard coding the ad into the board. I tried installing the mod again two days ago when I did the update thinking it may work now but was met with new errors. :? I tried getting some help from support again, and this time they were eager to offer assistance. I've spent the last two days with them trying to figure it out, and finally as of 20 minutes ago it seems to be working!

So once I configure the new ad mod, ads should work better on mobile devices. It also allows me to easily place them in more locations. Unfortunately due to the lack of donations lately, I have to compensate with more ads. There's also the option of selling ad space to people.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

no problem.

second issue I'm seeing. for some reason I can't log on to the site with my phone now. I have a new phone; so first, the ads are over the login area, and now, for some reason, the user name and password autofill. the background in the cells is white, and I can't change the password, as it's been updated. I don't get a keyboard pop up to allow me to change either username or password. very weird.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Seems like it could be due to the ad covering it. I removed the ad entirely so see if that changes anything on your end. I have an Android phone and saw the ad overlapping things but didn't try logging in. I'll be putting the ad back up later but this time using the new advertisement system. Hopefully that contains the ad(s) better from messing up the layout.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Yup definitely was able to log in :mrgreen:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Great, I'm glad that did the trick. I just moved the boards 'header ad' into the new advertisement system, and it seems to be working perfectly. It no longer breaks the boards layout, and it's responsive on mobile devices such as which orientation your phone is in. Another benefit is that now Super Members are exempt from seeing ads altogether!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I just implemented a new 'Partners' section which can be viewed by clicking the link at the top of the board. If you own an R/C related website, and would like to swap links to gain more traffic, contact me over PM to discuss the requirements.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Lowgear wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:30 pm I just implemented a new 'Partners' section which can be viewed by clicking the link at the top of the board. If you own an R/C related website, and would like to swap links to gain more traffic, contact me over PM to discuss the requirements.
Partner-swapping on 10Talk.... I knew it went on, but I didn't expect it to be so open.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

:P :lol:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

In a further attempt to organize things for easier viewing, there's now a catch-all forum under the 'Off-Topic / Chit-Chat' one called 'R/C Off-Topic.' As the description states, it's for R/C related topics that don't fit anyplace else. They've always been lumped together with the non-R/C topics in 'Off-Topic / Chit-Chat' but I feel as if they should have their own separate place. This isn't anything new as the forum was made quite a while ago but was located under the 'Miscellaneous Section' and named differently. I just renamed it, and moved it up under 'Off-Topic / Chit-Chat' last night. I'm in the process of moving all of the R/C discussions I find in 'Off-Topic / Chit-Chat' to it. It's going to take a while as there are hundreds.