XXX-S G+

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CrazyRC
Approved Member

XXX-S G+

Post by CrazyRC »

I replied to a craigslist ad for a guy wanting to sell off his RC stuff. Mostly Traxxas, some Redcat, nothing really too desirable. Off to the side there was a bin with some tires, and sitting in it was a rough looking touring car. It looked like a mostly complete roller, so I asked him how much he wanted for it and a deal was struck. When I got it home and did some research, I found it to be a Losi XXX-S Graphite +. There was a box of spare parts, so I figured it would be a fairly quick and easy rebuild, make it a runner, and possibly sell it. That was my fatal mistake. The car looked like it had been left outside for awhile, and all the hardware was rusted. Apparently, there is no bond stronger than rusty steel to graphite. It took me a week to get the car stripped down, and after getting the chassis cleaned, it was not quite as nice as I originally thought. There were some holes that were goobered up, and it showed signs of hitting something immovable... very hard. I was able to source another graphite chassis, although it's different than the graphite + edition. The replacement chassis doesn't have the Team Losi or extra machining in it, but oh well. I was able to rescue a fair amount of the original parts, and put it back together at a level that I'm happy with. Like all of my projects that start out as "I'll just clean it up and sell it" plans, I started to become attached to it... so I'm going to keep this one. I haven't decided on electronics yet - I have a Reedy 17.5t brushless setup, a Hobbywing 5900kv brushless setup, and a few brushed setups I'm considering. My original plan was to buy a cheapo, no name, high KV brushless setup and slap a Trinity Monster Horsepower label on the can for a retro kind of vibe, but I don't think that's the route I'm going to take. I'm going to use a Dodge Dart body, so I picked up some staggered wheels to give it a RWD look. Overall, I'm really happy at how it came out so far. I just need to get off my butt, finish cutting and sanding the body, pick a color, and decide on a motor combo for it.

Frankentruck

Re: XXX-S G+

Post by Frankentruck »

Touring cars are pretty fun. There's a lot of pavement in the world. That looks like a pretty sweet setup. You can always sell it later....
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Re: XXX-S G+

Post by CrazyRC »

Frankentruck wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:18 pm Touring cars are pretty fun. There's a lot of pavement in the world. That looks like a pretty sweet setup. You can always sell it later....
Thanks!

I always say the same thing - I can sell it later - but strangely, I can't. The only car I've actually sold through all my time in the hobby was an Axial AX10 Scorpion. I already had a crawler, and just never got attached to it. I have a guy interested in my Tamiya Frog Re release, but I'm dragging my feet getting it back together, because I kinda don't want to let it go. I think my issue is I buy clapped out cars, and fall in love putting them back together. I'm pretty sure this one is gonna stick around.