The RC10 Worlds Release CV-style driveshaft defect

Everything pertaining to the RC10 re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

The RC10 Worlds Release CV-style driveshaft defect

Post by TokyoProf »

The RC10 Worlds release had some issues, and I experienced them as well (transmission case, weird idler gear tolerances, and neon nylon-colored materials). However, very few reported my particular issue with the CVD's . I had a glaring issue with my right CVD driveshaft resulting from misaligned holes. I was never able to run my RC10 as a result because the drive shaft being locked and binded. I was unable to turn the right wheel.

You can tell from the pictures below:

1) the holes are not aligned in the middle! You can see that the semi-circles on the left drive are equal in size (normal) while the right shows one semicircle being larger than the other.
2) also the hole on the universal join as shown was drilled incorrectly (not aligned) from one end to the other. I was unable to insert the pin all the way through with my hand or pliers for that matter. I eventually used a vice and hammer to force the pin through. What a pain lol. It was a shelf queen that didn't move. I contacted Associated years ago, but by then, I was informed it was too late to get a replacement part.

While taking apart my RC10T4 I realized the rear drive shaft is the same (except the dogbone length) so I took pictures of it compared to the RC10 Rerelease CVD. I had an issue with only one driveshaft, so I'm not sure others had my specific problem. Good luck! If you get a RC10B4 CVD I assume that the CV driveshaft is a direct replacement for your RC10 Release.
Attachments
IMG_4094.jpeg
IMG_4094.jpeg (41.11 KiB) Viewed 506 times
IMG_4094.jpeg
IMG_4094.jpeg (41.11 KiB) Viewed 506 times
IMG_4098.jpeg
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: The RC10 Worlds Release CV-style driveshaft defect

Post by GoMachV »

B4 CV's are too long
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I have about a dozen of the Rere Worlds cars, and I think 6 were built from kits that I myself opened. 2 of those kits had this problem. This seemed to be more of a later production run issue, which is possibly why you didn't hear much about it. They're the kits that were blown out by online shops for $150 because no one wanted them. They were either opened up and parts sold individually, or kept sealed for a hopeful payday a few years later. They're probably the ones being sold on ebay for $800+.

So now, guys pay 4 times as much for the kits, and they can pay 4 times as much for the discontinued parts to replace the screwed up ones inside of it. :mrgreen:

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

scr8p wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:27 am I have about a dozen of the Rere Worlds cars, and I think 6 were built from kits that I myself opened. 2 of those kits had this problem. This seemed to be more of a later production run issue, which is possibly why you didn't hear much about it. They're the kits that were blown out by online shops for $150 because no one wanted them. They were either opened up and parts sold individually, or kept sealed for a hopeful payday a few years later. They're probably the ones being sold on ebay for $800+.

So now, guys pay 4 times as much for the kits, and they can pay 4 times as much for the discontinued parts to replace the screwed up ones inside of it. :mrgreen:
Thanks...that is really interesting. I have a few RC10 NIB's as well. Actually what is interesting is that for two kits there are clear seals on the side that have been broken (on the side of the boxes, not the main silver seal). I'm not sure if this was done by the manufacturer. I was thinking if this was an effort by Team Associated to open their kits after the fact to replace and fix what was messed up. Did you notice any clear seals being broken in your kits? I was always curious if the broken clear stickers kits were different from those kits whose clear stickers were not broken or cut.

Also remember when Team Associated sold ASSEMBLED RC10 Worlds kits? Did they have all the neon colored nylon parts as in the kit boxes? Or, did they replace the neon stuff with normal white colored parts?
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut