RPM Gearbox Housing

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

RPM Gearbox Housing

Post by Bottom Feeder »

So my new Bandit XL-5/VXL hybrid is basically done, and since I can't leave well enough alone, I had to mess with it already. :)

Being a longtime fan of RPM products, I picked up one of their gearbox housings in black. It looks cool, it fits together well like RPM stuff usually does, and it has an aluminum motor plate which is nice and thick. The end result looks nice and sturdy. Opening up the trans allowed me to clean out most of the black gear grease someone at Traxxas got a little overzealous with that was doing nothing but making a mess. The gears had plenty on them so that's all that got carried over to the new case halves.

That said, if I ever get another Traxxas car, I think I'll pass on this upgrade next time. Gripes?

- The trans really needs to be leaned on to get the shock tower holes to line up. They are off a smidge and they shouldn't be. Everything else lines up perfectly.
- The separate arm mounts is an interesting design but dealing with the 7mm jam nuts will make future disassembly a little more involved since you can't reach them with a wrench if the universals are installed on the outdrives.
- When using the 0 degree blocks as instructed, the car has a little more rear toe-in than it did stock, maybe a full degree. It's very noticeable and not really wanted. Not sure what the deal is with that.
- You can't use the nifty motor pinion spacing plate system anymore, but that's fine seeing as the motor wouldn't be making contact with the motor plate if it was used, negating half the reason for wanting an aluminum motor plate to begin with (for a heat sink).
- But my biggest gripe is the sheer amount of screws it uses in all different sizes. The case re-uses maybe half the hardware from the original setup, sometimes in different places, and they add a bunch of their own in different lengths. And it's now designed to screw together from both sides, not just left to right. I'm not sure if it's an overcomplicated or brilliant design but I do know I won't be able to reassemble it without the instructions if/when I need to take it apart again.

https://www.rpmrcproducts.com/download/2413/

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: RPM Gearbox Housing

Post by GoMachV »

Bottom Feeder wrote: - When using the 0 degree blocks as instructed, the car has a little more rear toe-in than it did stock, maybe a full degree. It's very noticeable and not really wanted. Not sure what the deal is with that.
the toe in is in the bandit and slash arms, the traxxas trans case is 0*. You would use the optional arm mounts for vehicles like the Rustler and Stampede that have 0* arms, to help them get some toe in, as out of the box they have none

What you will hate even more is that the RPM case is notorious for taking out idlers in high power rigs. That's why you rarely see them in the no prep cars. RPM parts are also common to pull threads, so be very careful when tightening.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

GoMachV wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:40 pm
Bottom Feeder wrote: - When using the 0 degree blocks as instructed, the car has a little more rear toe-in than it did stock, maybe a full degree. It's very noticeable and not really wanted. Not sure what the deal is with that.
the toe in is in the bandit and slash arms, the traxxas trans case is 0*. You would use the optional arm mounts for vehicles like the Rustler and Stampede that have 0* arms, to help them get some toe in, as out of the box they have none
Right, which is why it's strange that my Bandit now has more rear toe using the 0 degree RPM degree mounts than it did using the 0 degree Traxxas case.

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

Traxxas does offer their own arm mounts Model# 2797 for like 2 bucks a pair.

But unfortunately this is not the first time I hear about this transmission case causing issues. I was considering one for my Radicators but will most likely pass.
*** POWDER - KING ***

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I bought one of the hot racing units, hopefully it's better... :shock:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !