Urethane clear coat spray cans

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JosephS

Urethane clear coat spray cans

Post by JosephS »

Hey all,
This is venturing into 1:1 paint. It looks like to properly finish out my carbon fiber chassis I will need a clear coat.

I have read that for the coating of epoxy made carbon fiber that urethane clear coat is the preferred the right product. Since I don’t have a compressor or spray gun I was going to use a canned version.

Has anyone clear coated carbon fiber? If so do you have any recommendations on brands or products?

Any process tips?

Thanks all!

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Re: Urethane clear coat spray cans

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Yes. I would go with The Eastwood Co. Great products. Make sure chassis is cleaned well and scuffed with scothbrite prior to painting.
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

TheDiamondOne wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:26 pm Yes. I would go with The Eastwood Co. Great products. Make sure chassis is cleaned well and scuffed with scothbrite prior to painting.
If I am wet-sanding the epoxy can I just clean as is, or do i need to scuff with scotch-brite as well?

Thanks for the nod towards Eastwood. I have been reading a little about 1k vs 2k paints. It sounds like 2k rattle cans are a single use affair (within 24 hours), but a much better paint. 1k paint can stored and reused over time.
Does that sounds right?

I went to the product link for the eastman 2k clear gloss

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-2k-duraspray-clear-coat-aerosol-paint.html

It looks like this product is specifically designed to avoid the issue I am concerned about
This standard aerosol can contains the clear and activator, but the activation doesn’t occur until they are sprayed out of the can and hit the air and become a highly durable two component coating, just like you would typically mix and spray out of a paint gun.

[*]Unlimited Pot Life
Just ordered a can

DWRCMTB
Approved Member

Post by DWRCMTB »

Seconded on Eastwood. I use the satin clear urethane, works great. It's a bit costly because the can kicks in 48 hours, so if you can plan to do more than one project at a time you can get a little more bang for your buck.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

DWRCMTB wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:09 am Seconded on Eastwood. I use the satin clear urethane, works great. It's a bit costly because the can kicks in 48 hours, so if you can plan to do more than one project at a time you can get a little more bang for your buck.
I'll let you know how my projects works out but it looks like they have a new product for the 2k coats.
The older one had a separate chamber for catalyst. The new one looks like the catalyst is activated via air or moisture, so the whole can doesn't have a pot life like the older product. It seemed worth a try.

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Post by TheDiamondOne »

JosephS wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:26 pm
TheDiamondOne wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:26 pm Yes. I would go with The Eastwood Co. Great products. Make sure chassis is cleaned well and scuffed with scothbrite prior to painting.
If I am wet-sanding the epoxy can I just clean as is, or do i need to scuff with scotch-brite as well?

Thanks for the nod towards Eastwood. I have been reading a little about 1k vs 2k paints. It sounds like 2k rattle cans are a single use affair (within 24 hours), but a much better paint. 1k paint can stored and reused over time.
Does that sounds right?

I went to the product link for the eastman 2k clear gloss

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-2k-duraspray-clear-coat-aerosol-paint.html

It looks like this product is specifically designed to avoid the issue I am concerned about
This standard aerosol can contains the clear and activator, but the activation doesn’t occur until they are sprayed out of the can and hit the air and become a highly durable two component coating, just like you would typically mix and spray out of a paint gun.

[*]Unlimited Pot Life
Just ordered a can
Yes the 2k stuff has a a day shelf life but way more durable. It never hurts to clean things as much as possible after sanding. Laquer thinner is real good.
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

I picked up the Eastwood 2k gloss clear. I'm just about at the point where I am about to apply the clear coat.
I am applying it over epoxy resin. Do I need to wait for the epoxy to fully cure, or is sanding hard enough?
I think it takes about 7-11 days for the epoxy to fully cure, but it's sanding hard after 3 days.

How long does the 2k clear take to cure? I have heard that it should be applied in 3 thin coats at the same time to get full coverage, but prevent runs. After that I would sand, then polish then I would be done.