What to do with old, sputtery spray cans?

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

What to do with old, sputtery spray cans?

Post by Coelacanth »

I picked up 3 unused cans of Pactra polycarbonate body spray that I believe might've been old. I warmed up can #1 in warm water for a while before painting. However, upon pressing the nozzle, the paint splotted out in big drops, and after that, just oozed out around the nozzle, beneath the nozzle, and all over my fingers.

The second can was a bit better but the paint certainly didn't come out in a nice, fine, consistent spray. Not sure what to expect from can #3 but 2 out of 3 so far were a disaster.

I bought these online due to the rare color (it's only available anymore in the airbrush jar, not in the spray bombs)...am I screwed or is there anything I can do to get these $%(E&*&(% cans to spray properly?? I'm rather pissed off right about now... :evil:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

scr8p
Administrator

Re: What to do with old, sputtery spray cans?

Post by scr8p »

shake them good, and spray what you can of it into a sealable container (glass jar, etc.). then use the paint in an airbrush.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

scr8p wrote:shake them good, and spray what you can of it into a sealable container (glass jar, etc.). then use the paint in an airbrush.
Unfortunately, I don't have an airbrush...or I would've bought new jars of the airbrush variety of this paint... :(
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

well, i guess you know what one of your next purchases will be. if you really want to use that color, anyway. :wink:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Thank you for that sage advice. :roll: Listen, I'm looking for help, not smartass remarks.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

hey, i tried to offer some help. how the hell am i supposed to know you don't have a friggin' airbrush? and before you tell me that..... if you had one you would've bought the bottle paint instead, you can save it. i have an airbrush and use rattle cans often to cover large areas quickly.

i could've just said that you're screwed and to just throw them away. if they don't spray now, they're not gonna get any better later. but, i thought i'd throw out an option. the second one was simply a joke. but since you feel the need to continue having some sort of problem with me and not let stuff go, i'll do my best to ignore everything you post on this forum from now on. i suggest you do the same with mine.

this doesn't need to be quoted or responded to. i'm done, just drop it.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Anybody else have tricks up their sleeves for getting misbehaving spray-cans of paint to cooperate, other than soaking in hot water and shaking well, sans 'jokes' that I'm hardly in the mood for considering the situation?

I at least got one of the cans to work better by pressing down the nozzle forward/back, left/right while alternately shaking it. It ain't perfect but I was able to get some semi-consistent coverage.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Google results say air compressor but I don't know how you would do it with a spray paint can.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Speak gently and slowly with them, they will tend to cooperate more.

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

If you didn't already, take the nozzles off and soak them in a mild petroleum based solvent like mineral spirits to loosen any dried paint in them, then blow out with compressed air. Sometimes that works. Sometimes old rattle cans just won't work anymore. I have had a few Pactra cans that I couldn't do anything with.

It's probably not a bad idea to pick up a simple, inexpensive airbrush/spray-gun. I've used one like this for 25 years and it works well for my paint jobs: http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-250-2-Basic-Spray/dp/B0006MZPLG/

It's not as good as a "real" precision airbrush, but it's better than a rattle can.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Asso_man! wrote:Speak gently and slowly with them, they will tend to cooperate more.
Seriously Asso_man, I figured I'd get a useful tip or trick here, from paint gurus & experts. Both of my initial posts alluded to the fact I don't own an airbrush, and "buy an airbrush" is hardly the solution I was looking for from experts. Admittedly my mood is/was less than jovial and that was reflected in my subsequent posts.

Thank you Lowgear and ROH73, I'll try ROH73's tip with my last remaining rattle-can tonight.

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Spray cans are spray cans some work some don't . Heat them and try a diifferant tip. So whats the rare color?

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0asTeFlTck
seems possibly dangerous, but probably isn't much different than using a re-useable spray can like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Billet-Aluminum-Reusable-Spray/dp/B002D3WXMU

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

[quote="aconsola"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0asTeFlTck
seems possibly dangerous, but probably isn't much different than using a re-useable spray can like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Billet-Aluminum-Reusable-Spr
ay/dp/B002D3WXMU[/quote

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

rctenracer wrote:Spray cans are spray cans some work some don't . Heat them and try a diifferant tip. So whats the rare color?
CheZoom Teal. Thanks for the info, guys; I'll try swapping the nozzle tip from a good can with the problem can and see what happens.