Are all white vintage ball cups going to shatter at this point?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JosephS

Are all white vintage ball cups going to shatter at this point?

Post by JosephS »

So I took my truck out for a short shake down run with all original ball cups on the turnbuckles. 3 shattered with no jumps and no crashes. I am switching back to RPM ones.

Are all vintage ball cups,even nos, going to shatter at this point? I had them soaking with my other parts for a week in water. No peroxide or chemicals beyond rubbing alcohol were used.

Is there a way to restore the ones that aren't shattered?

Are there any similar to stock dubro white ball cups being made? I have the j-concepts and RPM ones and they are pretty different from the original ones.

The gear original cover is a bit brittle 'crispy' as well.

mikea96

Re: Are all white vintage ball cups going to shatter at this point?

Post by mikea96 »

I have white old full hex ball cups on my runner rc10 and have never broke one. I know they can become very brittle though and shatter into several pieces.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I know I preach this a bit too much but rehydration really is key , all the white nylon parts need a 24 hour soak in a bucket of water while doing a restoration (5 min boiling is worthless ) to restore their moisture content and prevent the brittleness of dried out nylon , it really helps .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I hooked the pipe coming onto the sweeper at the Vonats the other week. Broke the steering knuckle and popped the inner camber ball cup.... and split it. First time I've ever had that kind of issue with a ball cup.
Attachments
20220923_170557.jpg

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

scr8p wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:58 am I hooked the pipe coming onto the sweeper at the Vonats the other week. Broke the steering knuckle and popped the inner camber ball cup.... and split it. First time I've ever had that kind of issue with a ball cup.
I see that you are using closed ends on the outside. All mine shattered on the outside,wheel side, of the links.
Is there any rhyme or reason to cracking/ broken cups.
There would have been original vintage and run. Unfortunately I never grabbed any extras in the multiple decades they were available.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

The captured ones on my car are AE shock rod ends. I only have them on there because it's a replica and that's what Masami did. Otherwise it would've been ball cups..... which most likely would have popped off and saved my knuckle. :roll:

I actually didn't even want to race that particular car because of the old plastic. But the track wasn't super gnarly with big ass jump and such. So it held together alright.