Your favorite ESC (with photo)

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

juicedcoupe

Re: Your favorite ESC (with photo)

Post by juicedcoupe »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:14 am
RC10th wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:01 am I'm surprised nobody has listed the Novak Cyclone
It's not my favourite... :P
Same here. I have one, and its a cool esc. But far from being a favorite.

I like older electronics, and I have several older Novak, Tekin, Futaba, and Astro-Craft pieces. But once they got buttons instead of potentiometers, they become newer stuff. And anything with a program card is new-new stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I have several newer models. And while some are cool in their own right, they will never be old school cool.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Here is a couple of my favorites. Novak 410m1c and Novak racer EX.
Attachments
20230109_163611_copy_1512x1120.jpg
20230109_163449_copy_2016x1512.jpg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Not an expert on this subject at all, but an ESC that I was introduced to recently is definitely my favorite so far, simply for its programmability. The Zeta Micro. Via a dipswitch programmer, the following can be set or adjusted: Trigger Start Position, Trigger Full Position, Trigger Start Brake Position, Trigger 100% Brake Position, Trigger End of Brake Position, Trigger Start of Throttle Position, Trigger Full Speed Position, Variable Brake Amplitude, Acceleration Rate, Trigger Response Curve .................and this is from a 1989'ish ESC!! :shock:
Attachments
ZETA 2.jpg
ZETA 1.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

juicedcoupe wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:06 am
Incredible_Serious wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:14 am
RC10th wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:01 am I'm surprised nobody has listed the Novak Cyclone
It's not my favourite... :P
Same here. I have one, and its a cool esc. But far from being a favorite.

I like older electronics, and I have several older Novak, Tekin, Futaba, and Astro-Craft pieces. But once they got buttons instead of potentiometers, they become newer stuff. And anything with a program card is new-new stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I have several newer models. And while some are cool in their own right, they will never be old school cool.
The Cyclone may not be my favorite but I still do have one and it works great! It just doesn't have that vintage look to it though.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

FPE155

Post by FPE155 »

My favorite speed controll. Made by Corally in 1987 together with Dutch electronic manufacturer Philips
Corally20230129.jpg

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

I don't have a favorite, really, but right now I have a bunch of brushless ESCs, and 1 classic that I sold to a buddy in the early 90s. I just got it back, so it jumped to the top of my list.
Attachments
20230122_105923.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

What's weird is when i was just starting out everybody at my local club had British heatshrink-era ESC's, mainly Demon Kings and ProKings, Nosrams and the like. I hated the look of them and bought a Futaba 112B due to the neat looking placcy case. I then went through a few Novak units before settling on the T1X which i ran forever without any issues and still have to this day.

Strangely though it is the heatshrink-wrapped items which now hold a special place in my heart as they evoke so many memories from my first racing days. They are the ones i value and collect now. They are my Parma Eagle of the esc world :lol:
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

dinglem wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:07 am What's weird is when i was just starting out everybody at my local club had British heatshrink-era ESC's, mainly Demon Kings and ProKings, Nosrams and the like. I hated the look of them and bought a Futaba 112B due to the neat looking placcy case. I then went through a few Novak units before settling on the T1X which i ran forever without any issues and still have to this day.

Strangely though it is the heatshrink-wrapped items which now hold a special place in my heart as they evoke so many memories from my first racing days. They are the ones i value and collect now. They are my Parma Eagle of the esc world :lol:
It's funny what nostalgia does to us , I've mentioned many times that I'd love to find my first ESC a Downsway Turbo Relay but my enduring memory of it was the constant grief of stripping it down the relay to clean the burnt terminals :lol:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

That said, i still find this to be pretty cool.
327325227_5733952230065129_5482429078263947635_n.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

That is a cool speedo indeed, because it´s a very early Tekin.
Not the 411 or the ones you find at the next corner.

The heatsink is not Tekin. Which manufacturer?
Victor made the round shape but other than that I don´t know.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

The strange thing is I collect alot of things now which I didn´t like in the past. Not related to ESC only.
But they are a part of the history..

But they have to have a reason to collect them.
For sure there are items also which I had in the past and don´t want to have again ... for a reason. :D

Regarding ESC, I made my own ESC since 1978. Right for the first car, which actually was intended as a testbed for making an ESC for the early R/C electric flight model.
For this reason I choose a Mardave 1/12 because the aluminium chassis could act as a heatsink. The PCB board was mounted than at the area replacing the original MSC.

I remember the RC12 was available at the same time but I thought this car can´t be good because of the fibreglass chassis ... :lol:
The Mardave with the aluminium chassis should be better ...

A couple of weeks later I attended my first race. The ESC was working pretty good, but I wasn´t the champion driver i thought of. And the car was a nightmare comparing with the RC12 or BoLink car of other drivers. :shock:

Well my ESC was completely open frame, no heatshrink or anything.
The next one got a small aluminium case which I still might have, similar to the early CS ESC but a bit shorter length.
https://classicrc.wordpress.com/esc-electronic-speed-control/cs-electronic/car-speed-super/

All of my ESC´s later got the heatshrink.

Now I have a couple of vintage ESC´s in heatshrink but the majority wear a case.
And I can´t say I prefere the heatshrink ones because regarding the cased ones there are Demon 2, Delta, early Tekin Mospower, Victor, Corally, the first LRP etc.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

V12 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:24 pm That is a cool speedo indeed, because it´s a very early Tekin.
Not the 411 or the ones you find at the next corner.

The heatsink is not Tekin. Which manufacturer?
Victor made the round shape but other than that I don´t know.
Yes, I have some round Victor ones on my Victor ESC's, but these red ones are a Hot Trick hop-up which i thought suited the pinkness. I have two sets, the other being on my pink Titan ESC. I took the original Tekin and Titan ones off and replaced them with these because they looked better in my opinion. I got the idea from the Hot Trick Red Prince advert as I have a Red Prince build underway and the Titan will be going into that.
16112817_10202655623708359_7761786429610943912_o.jpg

Tang
Approved Member

Post by Tang »

R6cowboy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:16 am I'm probably one of few here who has never raced r/c competitively, besides a small homemade track in my parent's backyard in the early-mid '90s my brother, myself and friends made. Therefore, reverse ESC's were must-haves for us youngsters. My favorite back then was the Super Rooster, so it'll always be one of the favs.
I was the same way. I got out of it before the Super Rooster, though. I had the first Rooster in my World's Car back then. I'd go to the track at my local hobby shop for fun, but I never raced competitively.

WillyThickfoot
Approved Member

Post by WillyThickfoot »

Gotta love the classics!
Attachments
2E0A3740-C271-4139-B427-ADDC0E13ADFA.jpeg
500D5485-31E8-4259-A4CB-E50362FF18F1.jpeg

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »