Is an rc10b6.2D ok for carpet?

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ksetuni

Is an rc10b6.2D ok for carpet?

Post by ksetuni »

Hi everyone,

I'm just getting into rc and indoor carpet racing. While looking for a car I found someone with the rc10b6.2D that's barely been used. Would that be good for a carpet track or would I quickly be limited by it and wished I'd spent my money elsewhere?

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Re: Is an rc10b6.2D ok for carpet?

Post by Bottom Feeder »

I don't own a modern RC10 and I don't race. That said...

The two have differences to optimize them for specific racing surfaces, yes, but the cars are so similar that I doubt a casual racer could tell the difference or even take advantage of each car's capabilities.

I'd say if the B6.2D is in great shape and is being sold cheap then by all means get it.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

ksetuni wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:19 am Hi everyone,

I'm just getting into rc and indoor carpet racing. While looking for a car I found someone with the rc10b6.2D that's barely been used. Would that be good for a carpet track or would I quickly be limited by it and wished I'd spent my money elsewhere?
I can't speak to the racing aspect of it but you can see the differences between the b6 and b6d here
https://site.petitrc.com/setup/associated/setupb6/B6B6D/

they look roughly similar with the biggest difference being the stand up ball diff(b6D) and the laydown gear diff.
You'd be able to swap out most of the other parts for not to much if you really felt left out on carpet.

If you are new to racing you can likely get a few good seasons out of this while you learn to drive. If the price is right you should go for it

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

ksetuni wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:19 am Hi everyone,

If you are just getting into carpet racing the B6.2D is a fine option if you are getting a deal on it.

The fundamental differences between the B6.2D (Dirt) and the B6.2 (High Traction, Carpet, etc) are that the B6.2 comes with the +3mm long chassis, a gear diff, and steel plates under the servo/radio, where the B6.2D comes with the standard length chassis (same as the entire B6 and B6.1 series), ball diff, and aluminum plates under the servo/radio. Any of these options can get added later to make your car a B6.2 if you decide to stick to carpet and need to be more competitive. Truth be told, the gear diff is really the only significant difference as on carpet the higher traction is harder on a ball diff and typically requires more maintenance. Lastly, all the B6.3 series parts are bolt-ons so you can update straight to a B6.3 later if you want.

I'd say go for it if the price is right! 8)

Onesillyhatch

Post by Onesillyhatch »

I’ve been wandering this path too.. I’d like to race both track types but can’t afford 2 cars. Carpet is rough on ball diffs apparently.