My first RC10T. But, what is it?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

My first RC10T. But, what is it?

Post by XLR8 »

I received this truck many years ago in a parts lot that included a very dirty but very complete RC10 Graphite.
Anyway, I'd like to rebuild this T? close to original and make a nice runner but I'm a bit confused. It appears to have T2 arms but a chassis tub and rear shock tower from the original T.
Is this a junk yard special assembled from various 10T models or was this a thing?

I'm new to RC10 trucks so I know almost nothing about them. Can you help to identify what I have here? What would this have looked like in box art?

These are seller's photos so I can't take credit for the beautiful photography. :roll:
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (0).jpg

Thanks. :D
Doug

Frankentruck

Re: My first RC10T. But, what is it?

Post by Frankentruck »

I can't answer your question. I was taking a break from RC when the T2 came around. But I see there's no gearbox. What are your plans there? Get a 1st gen Stealth? Get the new gearbox case that lets you use modern 2.6 ratio gears?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Just a late model sport truck. If my memory is correct they were still selling the original truck when the T2 was first released and sold.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

yep, as stated above a late 7011 kit. Bushings and gold shocks, as well as dogbones standard. Three piece wheels. Would have came with a mechanical speed control and motor, a lot of times it would be a DS motor, or a firehawk, whatever was kicking around. I remember one of ours at the hobby shop even had yellow wheels like the T2. The late shock towers were nice, thick and sturdy.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

romulus22 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:45 pm Just a late model sport truck. If my memory is correct they were still selling the original truck when the T2 was first released and sold.
GoMachV wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:48 pm yep, as stated above a late 7011 kit. Bushings and gold shocks, as well as dogbones standard. Three piece wheels. Would have came with a mechanical speed control and motor, a lot of times it would be a DS motor, or a firehawk, whatever was kicking around. I remember one of ours at the hobby shop even had yellow wheels like the T2. The late shock towers were nice, thick and sturdy.
Thank you! I'm happy that it isn't something that someone cobbled together. Yeah, those shock towers are very thick slabs.

I found this on RCScrapyard.net.
TC10T Sport 7011.JPG
Apparently AE didn't bother to update the box photos (or manual?) to reflect the new suspension parts. Anyway, apart from dog bones and wheels, I believe I have everything to re-assemble this truck - with modern electronics, of course. I also have an original unpainted body shell in the attic somewhere but I'll probably just order a nice re-pop from Sabula Tech. His stuff is very high quality. I'm assuming this model still used the original T body shell - is that correct?
body.JPG
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Frankentruck wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:38 pm I can't answer your question. I was taking a break from RC when the T2 came around. But I see there's no gearbox. What are your plans there? Get a 1st gen Stealth? Get the new gearbox case that lets you use modern 2.6 ratio gears?
Me too. I slept through B2/T2, '3 and '4.
Then I woke up and started buying nearly every old AE buggy in sight. :D

Anyway, to answer your question...
To save money, I'll borrow a Stealth from a buggy that I no longer run.
Doug

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Associated just put a little slip in the box stating parts may have different appearance from manual when they started switching to black parts. Otherwise functionally they were the same and installation was the same.

The correct body for the sport truck would be the wide as mentioned. The team body would also fit as well. Slightly narrower overall and the hood cowl is a little different.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

romulus22 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:01 pm Associated just put a little slip in the box stating parts may have different appearance from manual when they started switching to black parts. Otherwise functionally they were the same and installation was the same.

The correct body for the sport truck would be the wide as mentioned. The team body would also fit as well. Slightly narrower overall and the hood cowl is a little different.
Thanks again!
I bet the team body shell looks awesome but I'd like to keep this truck original so I'll go with the wider sport body shell.
When it's finished and looking shiny and new again, I'll sit back and imagine that I have a RC10T that's super rare and valuable. :wink:
Doug

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Not that it matters much but I found a 96’ Tower catalog. They did indeed still sell the original truck after the T2 was being sold. For how long, I do not know that.
4C5F0DF2-81C7-4EC5-BCC8-498B2AAA83AF.jpeg

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

romulus22 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:59 pm Not that it matters much but I found a 96’ Tower catalog. They did indeed still sell the original truck after the T2 was being sold. For how long, I do not know that. 4C5F0DF2-81C7-4EC5-BCC8-498B2AAA83AF.jpeg
And, at a huge cost savings from the T2.
No doubt an attempt to liquidate remaining RC10T and "Sport Truck" specific parts inventory.

Oh, if we only knew then what we know now, we might have bought all of them.

Like the RC10 buggy, I recall that the RC10T was very popular at the track.
Back in the good ol' days.
Doug

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

The 10T was definitely still being sold when the T2 came out, I remember when I went to buy my first stadium truck there were stacks of both trucks side by side. I chose the T2
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

That's a cool truck. A lot of attention is given to the early 7001 kits but the later Sport Trucks like yours are interesting in their construction. Crash parts are less expensive and easier to find, being shared with the T2/GT, so building it as a runner is more palatable.

Any thoughts on motor/esc, paint, or wheels/tires yet?

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Dangeruss wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:23 am That's a cool truck. A lot of attention is given to the early 7001 kits but the later Sport Trucks like yours are interesting in their construction. Crash parts are less expensive and easier to find, being shared with the T2/GT, so building it as a runner is more palatable.

Any thoughts on motor/esc, paint, or wheels/tires yet?
Ah, so it does share arms with T2 - I wasn't sure about that. Thanks!

Not sure what motor I'll run, probably whatever I have available. Since there's really nothing particularly special about this model, this will be a budget build.

For tires, I have Schumacher rears (V2's I think) and a pair of original AE wide ribbed tires for front. For wheels, I'm looking at the single piece wheels by JConcepts (JCO3419W). They're for 3/16" axles not 1/4" but I can work around that.

The paint and liver will be something familiar so that the truck is immediately recognizable. I'm definitely not an artist so it's best if I can find a scheme that I like and try to copy it. I might just go with boring box art :roll: so that I can keep the project moving along. This is certainly NOT the ugliest stadium truck I've ever seen - I like it.
10t body.JPG

Anyway, here's the body I had tucked away in the attic.
Seeing it now, it clearly :wink: is not an original 10T body; I have no clue who made this.
I bought it bitd but I can't recall why. It's very old (like me :D ) and it never had the overspray wrap so I'm surprised that it's still in good shape.
Anyone recognize this?
P1010002.JPG
P1010003.JPG
P1010005.JPG
P1010006.JPG
Doug

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

JC Racing has dish and spoke wheels for 1/4" axles. They are in the truck section, not the vintage section.

Jeff might still have some 1/4" rear wheels. I bought a couple sets a while back. I used them with JConcepts fronts (the gloss is a little different up close).
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

No clue who made it but it looks like a modified Losi JRxT body...🤤