One thread for all my junk...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ron Jeremy
Approved Member

Re: One thread for all my junk...

Post by Ron Jeremy »

Here's my RPM car. I think these are fairly common (on here)?
Getting this together was mostly luck. The chassis kit was in a bulk buy auction and couldn't even be seen in the auction pics. Quite a nice surprise when that was in box!
The rest was from random stuff. Even bits I had from the 90s.

For this kit I just kinda wanted to keep it clean/boring/original and with as much RPM stuff as I had on hand. Although I am pretty sure I have an RPM tranny case... hmm...
Not sure what the dealio is with the very light rear shocks.

Ron Jeremy
Approved Member

Post by Ron Jeremy »

Decided to actually run one of my vintage RC10s and selected an RC10 Graphite team car (6036?).
I mostly used a hard pack setup for the Worlds car that I found on the Internets. Electronics included a Reedy motor, 2s lipo, modern TX/RX (Spektrum stuff), a heli head servo, and the very best ESC the original Tekin ever made as far as I am concerned :D And that ESC's torque limiter proved useful on the track.
I could only get this thing dialed by adding ridiculous amounts of weight. Once I piled it on and dialed down the HP it kept up for the most part. Never got confident enough to race it (this was in 2012-13 I'd say), but I did take it to fun/practice several times. I was having way too much fun with my B44.2. That is a fine piece of machinery. And bloody stinking fast.

Anyways, here it is.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Ron Jeremy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 pm Here's an afternoon project from many years ago...
I took 2x Losi XX chassis and cut one near the back of the battery tray area and cut the other near the front.
I then glued both long pieces together and both short pieces together. I made a cheesy drag car with the long chassis (will show it later) and made this with the short chassis.

There are parts from
1) Original RC10 (front wheels, tires, steering knuckles, front axles, modified (vertical stud) steering hub)
2) Losi XXT or XX (chassis, tranny, steering rack, rear body mount (is an XXT front body mount))
3) Losi Rally Weapon (shocks, front arms, rear axles/swingshafts)
4) Losi JRX Pro SE (rear hubs)
5) Associated RC10 DS (rear arms, rear shock tower)
6) Hand made front shock tower
7) RC10 B2 or B3 (body)
I love it! Mildly reminds me of a Tamiya of sorts. Did you also increase the front kickup? The front brace looks a little short. How did you decide to use the mixture of parts that you did?
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Ron Jeremy
Approved Member

Post by Ron Jeremy »

matt1ptkn wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:25 am I love it! Mildly reminds me of a Tamiya of sorts. Did you also increase the front kickup? The front brace looks a little short. How did you decide to use the mixture of parts that you did?
Kickup is the same as far as I can remember. I see that I did some filing or something on the top brace, but cannot recall why. My decision process is basically stack all my drawers/boxes of parts on at table and pick through them looking for general criteria and trying the ones that look promising. Maybe lay 3-5 options out for each part and evaluate how much hacking, grinding, cutting is need for each and then try to make it work. Often I find the part won't work, sometimes after I destroy it or otherwise make it not usable in a resto build. Eventually it comes together. And over time I will iterate it as I see stuff not working, being weak, not looking nice, etc. I have a few projects that have gone on for over 20 years. With perhaps not a single common part in the most recent iteration from the first.
This is the part I enjoy the most. Resto's are fun, but making something totally unique is more fun to me.