possible way to mount modern 2.2" hex wheels to your YOKE.

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Alex B
Approved Member

Re: possible way to mount modern 2.2" hex wheels to your YOKE.

Post by Alex B »

Did you have any success yet?
:shock:

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

still working on it. I'm looking at 2 options, but i have to get some wheels to look at offsets.

one method is for the hex, the standoff, modified to fit, but i have to be very careful with offsets to not exceed the maximum limit (personally, I don't care much, just running around the neighborhood, but it would be nice to meet spec). Since looking at this it appears most 4wd front wheels use a 10mm hex, not a 12mm, so i'm looking at hpi cyber10 wheels as one option, I beleive they use 12mm all around. I have to check on some hpi wheel offsets.

the other option that i have been investigating, is to update the whole universal and axle to late model off the shelf cvd parts. Using a B44 bone, and a tc5 axle, along with flanged 6x10mm bearings, looks like it will work on all 4 corners, within 2mm or so of the original length. I started going in one direction, but found the tc5 axles, which altered my plans and added delay.

I beleive the kyosho zx5 universals will drop in, but they go for about $35.00 for the pair, a little steep at this point.

was kind of putting off spending the $$ on stuff that may or may not work since I started this thread. I expect to work on this by xmas though, so stay tuned.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I'm using academy wheels on mine to keep the rear in spec width. but I still had to watch which tires I mounted on it.
Part of the history and pics are here: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6022
Desert gator rear wheels work also because they have the same offset but are a couple mm narrower. But there's no front wheel equivalent :?

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Like Mr ED, I used Academy wheels. I went a different route though and used Custom works CVD bones (don't remember which ones....), with B4 axles. it required a bit of machine work though, I bored out knuckles, made aluminum inserts that took a 3/8 x 3/16 flanged bearing, once that was fitted up I used the 12mm associated touring car hexes. On the diff side since the cross pin and the ball end is larger on the modern associated based bones, I bored out the inside of the outdrive, and milled the slot on the outdrive to match the bone. I could only find a couple pics of it, and unfortunately I parted out the yokes I had, so I can't take any new pics.

glowster21
Approved Member

Post by glowster21 »

I used Kyosho Wheels all around on my 870c. You need the Kyosho Universals from the Front of a ZX5 Sp and the Rear of the Original RB5. They fit direct, same bearing sizes as the Yokomo, and work great. I recommend you use the original ZX5 front wheels as they make the front of the car sit a little wider than the newer ZX5 fronts. Either wheel you choose, it works OUTSTANDING!!! During warm ups for a Vintage Nats I was spanking B44's and ZX5's with my good old 870c with modern rubber.

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

glowster21 wrote:I used Kyosho Wheels all around on my 870c. You need the Kyosho Universals from the Front of a ZX5 Sp and the Rear of the Original RB5. They fit direct, same bearing sizes as the Yokomo, and work great. I recommend you use the original ZX5 front wheels as they make the front of the car sit a little wider than the newer ZX5 fronts. Either wheel you choose, it works OUTSTANDING!!! During warm ups for a Vintage Nats I was spanking B44's and ZX5's with my good old 870c with modern rubber.
Do you have any pics?
:shock:

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Just to be sure nobody gets out and gets parts that won't do the trick: as glowster said: 870C

The proposed material will not work with the works series suspension

glowster21
Approved Member

Post by glowster21 »

Mr. ED wrote:Just to be sure nobody gets out and gets parts that won't do the trick: as glowster said: 870C

The proposed material will not work with the works series suspension
You are absolutely correct, this will NOT work for a Works series. It's money for the 870 and 870c though. I'll take some pix as soon as I get a chance.

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

Got part number glowster? There are quite a few options.
"It's not broken, it's British!"

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

OK, I finally have some updates. I managed to drill out the standoffs with a 5mm drill so that they fit over the axles.

measuring up the overall width, it clears 250mm quite nicely. will need wheels that basically have a flat face, so that they don't protrude past the threads. I quickly filed off about .015" from each face of one of the hexes, and it fit nicely into a traxxas wheel i have here. Now I'll need to drill and tap for some set screws, I think I will be using a 6-32 grub screw. In a couple of pics, I used a width gauge made of white cardboard, and I am attempting to show the clearance, quite poorly. I apologize. I think I will also need a small shim behind the standoff to keep it from rubbing on the bearing. the factory parts have a small lip machined on the face for this purpose.

In looking at some of the pictures on this thread recently, it looks like the lazer wheels will work well. I'm planning on picking up the cyber10 5 spoke wheels to see how they work.
Attachments
IMG_2748.jpg
IMG_2749.jpg
IMG_2750.jpg
IMG_2751.jpg

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

looks good, Did you manage do drill them strqight, or does the wheel wobble?

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

good question. I used a peice of a #10-32 screw with the head cut off, screwed that into the standoff, and mounted it in the chuck of my drill press with the quill stop in the down position. Then clamped the standoff in the machinist vice in that position, and put on a clamp on that to hold relative position. Unlocked the jaws of the chuck, and released the quill stop so that the chuck will return to normal position. Placed drill bit in press, and let the drill find center. It's d@mned close to perfect.

it would have been easier if my chuck was bigger, but I couldn't fit the hex into the chuck, otherwise, I would have used another standoff as the jigging tool, to set up each sucessive one. I usually don't like chucking threads, as they can sometimes be off, but my drill press is nice and new, so the chuck isn't chewed up.

I would have used my lathe, but this in peices, and another project on the list.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

glowster21 wrote:I used Kyosho Wheels all around on my 870c. You need the Kyosho Universals from the Front of a ZX5 Sp and the Rear of the Original RB5. ...
I forgot to ask this earlier: are you using the stock front arms?
My 870C has the wider rear arms on the front: apparently a popular mod back in the days.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

small update:

waiting on cyber10b wheels from tower, and the rears are out of stock.

meanwhile, back at headquarters, I was able to drill and tap for set screws, and file down the adapters to 12mm. see the pics:
Attachments
IMG_2754.jpg
IMG_2753.jpg
IMG_2752.jpg

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

here are the front wheels mounted up. waiting on rear wheels to get back in stock...
Attachments
IMG_2755.jpg
IMG_2756.jpg
IMG_2759.jpg