custom build, codename: SC10GT-E.0 *Finally Ran It*

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Re: custom build, codename: SC10GT-E.0 *update 11/12/09*

Post by slotcarrod »

Very nice, allot of sweat and work so far, great job! I have never had a chance to do oval racing, looks like good fun! With a SC class even better!

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Re: custom build, codename: SC10GT-E.0 *update 11/12/09*

Post by PBR Allstar »

Okay, it's done for the most part, still have to sort out the bodywork stuff, mounts and mount/paint the proline hardcore body I have for it. Here are some comparison photos next to my box stock slash. I haven't put it on the scale yet, but it's a lot lighter, the slash without the battery is still a few oz's heavier than the SC10GT with a 5000 2cell.

fastang
Approved Member

Re: custom build, codename: SC10GT-E.0 *mostly finished!!!!*

Post by fastang »

I take it the rules for this class are pretty lax? I love custom builds like this but....why not take a proven DO car (CW etc) and adapt some slash type wheels and body and call it done? Besides the wheels, tires and body there is nothing SC truck about it. Is this what they had in mind for the class?

Don't get me wrong, I love it! Im more questioning the orginizers/rules makers about such a class.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

fastang wrote:I take it the rules for this class are pretty lax? I love custom builds like this but....why not take a proven DO car (CW etc) and adapt some slash type wheels and body and call it done? Besides the wheels, tires and body there is nothing SC truck about it. Is this what they had in mind for the class?

Don't get me wrong, I love it! Im more questioning the orginizers/rules makers about such a class.
No problem,,, it's a silly build, I'm fully aware of that, it might get torn down and parted after I get to run it a couple times. I did it mostly to see if I could to be honest, and I only had to buy a couple parts, the rest of them came out of the rc junkyard in the rafters. As far as adapting a CW or other dedicated D.O. car goes, I run all my dedicated D.O. cars, and those are quite a bit more expensive than an old GT to sacrifice to the "silly project gods" Also, they wouldn't fit the rules...

Ah rules,,, there is a method to my madness on this build, Not sure if you've read the 2009 provisional ROAR rules for Short Course, but this truck fits. I can theoretically show up anywhere and run it (I'd have to add some weight), but it fits the body, wheelbase, track width, and other dimensions and specs they call out.

With all that being said, the track I run at, has three S.C. classes expert box stock, sportsman box stock (you're allowed to change radio, and receiver) and then expert Short Course, which is what I built this truck to run in. That class is dominated by very heavy slashes with lots of billet, and big mamba brushless motors. Needless to say, they handle poorly at best. I figure I can build something lighter, that handles well on the oval. If I can win with it that would be cool and I'd say mission accomplished, I always think it's really to to go out there with something totally different, that you made with your mind and your hands and see how you do,,, win lose or draw!

Here are the final pics, with the body hung, I'll probably do something a little more robust in the bumper dept, I have an rpm bumper floating around so I put it on there for the time being.

Prince Steve
Approved Member

Post by Prince Steve »

I SAY SUPERB JOB!! THIS IS TRULLY WHAT A SCRATCH BUILD IS MADE OF. YOUR MIND AND YOUR PARTS LAYING AROUND , SHAKE IT UP AND WHALLA!!
A+.
AKA ( settin03 R/C hobbies and more ) on Ebay

Since being on this site I have found that I have too many parts and R/C Models. Please help me get rid of them. ;-)

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

A++++++++++++ wicked cool..!! no slash can beat that for sure!!!!

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Nice work, PBR! I think you are about to turn the rest of the field into back markers.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

You gotta tell us how the domination goes at the track.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

JK Racing wrote:You gotta tell us how the domination goes at the track.

I don't think it will be a domination so to speak. I think it will be a slaughter :twisted:

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

That's neat,

Very professional looking!

You should consider making a conversion kit just for RC10Talk members.

There are plenty of us who have a bunch of spare T3-GT parts around collecting dust.

That would be a cool class for indoor carpet racing!
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Re: custom build, codename: SC10GT-E.0 *Finally Ran It*

Post by PBR Allstar »

Okay, finally got to run the crazy project thing last night in the mod slash class on the dirt oval. I had mixed results, seemed quick in practice on a very hooked track, but my heat was later in the program (they run one round of heats and prep the track, then another round of heats, prep the track, then the main). In the first heat it was a bit loose, then, about halfway through, the left front outer hinge pin came out, I either lost or missed an eclip and with the sc10 wheels the pin can come all the way out. For the second heat I took out the associated #12 rear springs and went to an outlaw #8 spring across the back, that helped I led the first half of the heat, then the wiggle in the back end was a bit much for me to drive it as hard as I needed. I didn't really have time to work on it much before the main as my boy tore a corner off his EDM so I was helping him fix that. For the main I put some more cross in it and raised the front ride height and dropped the rear a little. It was slightly better, ran near the front the whole race after starting in the back. I finished 3rd, a second behind 2nd place, and a lap down from the leader. I'm pretty sure I'm fighting a geometry issue in the rear of the truck with my shock placement so I'm going to work on that before next time out, I also think I'm going to go from 1.5 degrees of toe per side in the rear to 3 degrees per side.

The good news is, that even with having to drive it like it was on eggshells, it was fast with the 19T, I thought it was going to be lunch for the guys running the 8.5 on down motors, but the light weight really lets it get off the corners hard. If I can tune it so I can be in the throttle a little more, and a little harder there wont be anything that will be able to touch it.

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

THAT IS A GREAT LOOKING BUILD....i can only get g10 in greenish colors at my home base id like to find some black----(the green sheets r cheap though--scrap from project at a platic company) iv seen some dyed before but hard to find strong enough pigment to make color solid. rit comes out kinda Hippy looking...What body is that??

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Black G10, 12" x 24" sheet. .125" thick (3mm) $29.00

http://www.mcmaster.com/#85345k622/=4sx8bo

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

Thanx thats an awsome price...do u get much flex with that thickness.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

a little bit of flex, but that's not a bad thing necessarily on a dirt oval car. If you were going to do an off road rig out of that material I would probably build an upper and lower deck type of setup.