custom build, codename: SC10GT-E.0 *Finally Ran It*

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

custom build, codename: SC10GT-E.0 *Finally Ran It*

Post by PBR Allstar »

Okay,, so the track I race dirt oval at just introduced an outlaw/mod stadium truck class. it's pretty much dominated by slashes with big motors that are laden down with billet bling. I was toying with how to build something on the low buck to go out there and blow everyone away. I didn't really want to hack up my slash because I love running spec slash classes and they have them everywhere. I thought about tearing apart my T4 to build an SC10, but that truck is minty and very well sorted.

What's a guy to do???

After digging in the parts bins I thought,, hey,,, I have like five GT's in various states, I don't think I'm ever going to race gas truck again sooooo.....

out come the rulers and calipers, a slash and a GT on the bench,,, couple quick measurements off the slash for wheelbase, same on the GT. couple notes jotted down, into the bin for a NIP truck nose plate and a couple other goodies, good used trans, couple mounts, those rear arm mounts I got from Klavvy (I never got around to returning them after my accident, figured I'd find a place for them anyway,,,, thanks again Todd) and a sheet of black .125 G10.

The result? about two hours some cutting milling and drilling later I have the base for a Slash wheelbase, GT trans, offset adjustable battery mounts with custom works battery strap and blocks. Tomorrow I should be able to sort out a motor plate/mount, I'm gonna look at doing the T.C. style mount that some guys have used, if not I may mill my own motor plate. the arms, hubs, cvd's, front end, etc. will all be stock GT. I may run AXA wheel adapters for 1/8 scale wheels, or just slap some SC10 wheels on there for now, and I have a new proline slash body in the bag waiting for this. I think I may do my own shock towers for some tourning car shocks, I want some towers with a little more laydown than the speedy's or the factory works towers.

Stay tuned!!!!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: custom build, codename: SC10GT-E.0 *pics and insanity*

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I like that you beveled the point where the chassis and nose meet ( I always got picked on for doing that :? ) gonna post a pic of a old prototype CW car with a GT tranny, maybe it will help :wink:

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

oh reg,, now that's wild with the topshaft flipped on the the GT trans and then a direct drive motor motor plate!!! give me some ideas, but I think that might be just a little too much cross weight for my taste!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Yeah, but you could just flip the concept around to where the topshaft currently is on your truck

Was pretty spooky huh! Worked like crap, the front end still sucked no matter how innovative the rest of it was.

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

Ford, you going friday???? ive only got a couple more weeks till i go to basic...

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Not sure yet Gregg, I have to take my old lady to the airport friday, and I'm not sure what time her flight is, so that might interfere with heading over that way.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Very innovative! I can't wait to see the finished product.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Motor mount--- check!

after playing with a T.C. motor mount I decided I didn't like a mount that wasn't tied into the transmission (the T.C. mount just bolted to the pan). So, I went ahead and did something similar to what Reg posted, I didn't want to rob parts of my Direct Drive sprinter, so I grabbed a bit of aluminum and clamped it in the mill, about 45 minutes later, with a little more G10, and Ta-Da! A motor mount.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

8)

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Lookin great Ford. Can't wait for the updates. Glad those mounts went to good use. Wasn't gonna hound you for them knowing you were laid up with the accident and they weren't getting returned ...got yet another project off the board here and figured they'd be a good addition to it...good thing he's got another set hanging there :wink: . Got a 'in the works' motor mount that mounts to the gt tranny but it doesn't look near as good as your extra piecer mount. This is the kind of build that gets me working on mine again. Thanx for the inspiration to both you and reggie for the pix.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Okay, got the rear suspension (version #1) hung on the car this evening, would have like to have done a little more but motor plate and rear suspension was enough for one day, maybe tomorrow I'll tackle the front shock tower. Everything is pretty straight forward, some new arms, and 1.5 degree rear hub carriers swapped left to right giving me 3 degrees total toe in with the 3 degree rear arm mounts. I'm not sure the touring car shocks are gonna have enough travel for me at the end of the day, I might end up doing some different towers and hunting down some .89 buggy shocks, we'll see. I'm pretty much going at it like a big late model, I figure I'll have about 1.450" of wheel travel from full droop, with the chassis bottoming right at the shock bottoms. I like the T.C. shocks a) because I have them, and b) because the endless spring options. Although with the advent of the Custom Works MDX shocks there are a lot of rates now for the .89 length shocks, but all that will make the project a bit more expensive.....

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

forgot to mention, I also picked up a set of new SC10 wheels and tires in Black, as well as a CVD set off epay last night for a pretty good deal. Under 30 shipped for the wheels and tires. Figured that would be a good way to go for now seeing as the wheels, tires and 1/8 adapters that I wanted were gonna set me back a c-note easy.

Have to start thinking about a motor soon, I'm thinking I'm gonna burn up some brushed stuff on it for now to work out the bugs, I have a couple fresh checkpoint 12x3 motors but I might even start with a 19T to get a handle on the chassis. gotta see if it's even gonna work first!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Ford, swap out the .36 shafts for the .56--and/or install a ball stud for a lower shock mount with a long RPM ball end if you need more droop.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Reg, I usually run the Custom works long ball ends when I need to change up some geometry, just hard to get enough actual wheel travel with a Touring car shock. I'm probably putting too much emphasis on the fact that it's using Short Course wheels and body, I need to stay focused on the fact that it's a Dirt oval car. I think this will have twice as much travel as my regular dirt oval truck.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Okay, hadn't gotten much of a chance to do anything for the past couple days until this evening. the SC10 wheels showed up today so that was some motivation.

I got the front tower knocked out, I'm pretty happy with it. I left it kinda blank on the top edge til I figure out what I'm gonna do for body mounts (I didn't really think that through on the rear tower, so I might have to revisit that) Now I think I'm at a bit of a stopping point til next week when I get a few small parts (cvd's a couple pairs of lundsford turnbuckles, some rpm ball cups, threaded collars for the TC3 shocks). I did sell myself just a little shorter than I wanted on the wheelbase, I was shooting for slash wheelbase and I lost a quarter inch somewhere, so now it's actually pretty close to SC10 wheelbase. I still think it all looks pretty cool though, should be fun to play with once I get it together.

here's the latest pics.