Custom RC 10 mid engine.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Custom RC 10 mid engine.

Post by scr8p »

Rustbucket wrote:YUP that is what I did.
not according to your pics you didn't.

when you make a 3 gear trans (or in this case a 6 gear) a mid motor setup you can't just unbolt the trans from the chassis and flip it around. the motors are designed to spin counter clockwise. so the spur/pinion must remain on the right side of the car.

TZona
Approved Member

Post by TZona »

scr8p wrote:you have to flip the topshaft and motor plate to the other side of the trans case.
thats one reason the litesink was so good ,when you flipped it you could mount the heatsink block on the other side too

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

OK thank you for your advice. I did something elest and it seem to work. as well I was fighting a bad christal that I did not thinki I had.. Been fighting this problems all day long drove me nuts. What I did I took the motor apart flip it 180 then put it back together. Then resodered the postive and neg leads back on the right place. THEN put it all back together. So your telling me I have to take the top shaft put it on the other side of the tranny so everything is on that that side .? So my top shaft and everything elest will be on my driver sides instead of the Passener side like it is right now?
IF that is the case it will help me alot more. This is the fist time I have done this kind of swap. I rebuilt my 6 gear and it runs smoot. NO noise at all. Have to replace the dog bones for I now see they are a little bent. NOT a problem I have a good set.. OK get back to me and you can use my reg E mail if you like this way I can share some more pictures. [email protected] . IN subject area just put RC 10 then I will know it is your address coming back to me. Maybe this way both of us can help each other. Thank you for your time and advice. DON THE Portland Rustbucket

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

OK Not sure if this is going to work and I was fighting a bad christial something I did not think of at all. That was the last thing I finely switch out and it work .. OK what I did I took out the motor turn the can end bell and insides hold down screw bracket 180 degrees. THEN took the motor leads and put then back to whear they were suppose to be. After that she finely ran good no more radio problems . IT did get a little warm but it keap on runing like a nomal rig would . So I am back learning again. NOW if some one will tell me how to post pictures I would be more then happy to post. THE ones I have one I am not even how I did it . I just went by the seat of my pants and took a chance. I use to it all of the time but it has been a very long time. I know there is an easy way to post. THE Rustbucket DON

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

Well I just talk to an RC motor man he has own shop. He is also a buddy of ours. He told me by fliping the end bell over 180 it will cause heat and I may burn up the motor. So it looks like I will redo or try to do some changing on dealing with the motor somehow. I was given a sudjustion that I may do in the morning. If it works I will let you all know . BUT I have afeeling it will if I can do it . ?? DON

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

OK I have one more Do any of you have pictures of any of the stock mid engines set up from the days when they were being done back in the 90s in those days I only saw a few and never thought of taking pictures.
Now I wish I did . In those days my wife and I were Runing the stock RC 10 old pans that was after the pandas and later the truck convertions and on to the 10 Ts . YUP We have been around a few days and tracks during the we both have our RC 10 Ts that we pick up new . MY wifes is still stock like it was when it was new. She never change hers I beef up mind with all RPM stuff. But I still keap what I replace. DON THE Rustbucket

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Hey Don, I shot you a PM.....

the motor will not overheat if all you did was flip the endbell 180 degrees. if the motor has an adjustable endbell, all you did was basically swap the wire polarity. Now, if you rotated the endbell more than 20 degrees or so in either direction from 180, you will advance or retard the motor, and that can cause it to run hot.

I just remembered I have a motor plate that I made for a mid motor setup(not a hacked stock motor plate). if you are interested, please let me know.....I'll try and snap a pic of it tonight for you. it's a mid motor chassis, just not a gold pan(custom made), so you can see what it looks like.

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

good morning . I got the PM you sent I tryed to do a return back to ya . BUT I guess it went to this board not a problem. I look over the motor plate last night it looks like IF I flip the top shaft to the other side my motor will be close to my out side tire on the drivers side. Or I am not understanding on what your telling me? YES if you can send some pictures to me it would help a lot and I may be able to understand what your saying.

I have been into RC racing many years and have done a lot with them but this is the first time I have done something like this. NOW you know whear I am coming from. want to say thankyou for any and all help. DON

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

yes, I will snap some pics tonight to help clarify.....in the meantime, I pulled a couple images from an old thread, compliments of jsrracing, you can see how the motor is mounted, and how the motor plate was trimmed.

let me know about those shocks, and once I get pics from home, if you are interested in the motor plate.
Attachments
midsprint2.JPG
midsprint2.JPG (57.3 KiB) Viewed 840 times
midsprint2.JPG
midsprint2.JPG (57.3 KiB) Viewed 840 times
midsprint1.JPG
midsprint1.JPG (59.38 KiB) Viewed 840 times
midsprint1.JPG
midsprint1.JPG (59.38 KiB) Viewed 840 times

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

here are a couple pics of my mid motor car:
Attachments
midchassis1.JPG
midchassis2.JPG
midchassis3.JPG

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

HELLO and hope your having a good one.
ON that motor plate It looks intresting for sure. I am not sure on how to handle PM s on this board that is why I gave you my E mail it will work better for me on my end and send pictures back and forth.
ON those shocks I would rather have the standard RC 10 buggie shocks. The ones that are on it right now are a set that I had to work with.

So how did you make that plate for I am trying to figure it out now.. I am open for ideas and any other help you can give me. That Custom RC 10 you have looks good. Reminds me of what some of them look like back in the my early years back in the early 90s that is how long my wife and I have been into RC racing.
If you use my reg E mail I can send pictures to ya. I have a problem trying ot send them on this board. I have retryed a couple of times all ready and it seems nothing is working.
I have pulled out my stelth and tore down my rig and pulled out the trany. Right now. thanks NOW I am going back down and try to work it out. Get back in touch . Thanks DON

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Don, sent ya an email!

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

Now those rigs I do remember from many years ago. I did not see many but in the 90s those sprint cars was around. I think there was a convertion for the RC 10 . In those days we were runing the RC 10 truck convertion. Until the Ts came then the rest was history.
YOUR VEry lucky to be able to pick one up.
DON

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

HELLO all Well after some good advice I redid my RC mid engine buggie. I compleatly redid my rear set up, I turn everything around and flip over my top shaft and now everything works fine thank you all for the help and advice and ideas. OK I will try to send a couple of pictures.
Attachments
IMG_6372.JPG

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

ok look like that work ok I will try it again.
Attachments
IMG_6373.JPG