a different breed 'low-buck race machine'

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: a different breed 'low-buck race machine'

Post by Mr. ED »

Asso_man! wrote:Very nice Erik as usual, maybe one of the best?
You know the dutch saying: "oefening maakt kunst"?
It seems I've learned at least a bit from all the mistakes I made in my earlier builds.

I hope we can run this together some time: need someone to take action pics and give some advise. I'll even let you test drive ;)

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Mr. ED wrote:
Asso_man! wrote:Very nice Erik as usual, maybe one of the best?
You know the dutch saying: "oefening maakt kunst"?
It seems I've learned at least a bit from all the mistakes I made in my earlier builds.

I hope we can run this together some time: need someone to take action pics and give some advise. I'll even let you test drive ;)
"oefening maakt kunst" aka in French "c'est en forgeant que l'on devient forgeron" aka in English "practice makes perfect"?

I would love to test it indeed or at least take action pictures, but that might have to wait a bit...

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Erik, this is truely an awesome machine!! I agree with Asso_man .... your best work ever. I have been considering traxxas trannies for my ultima projects as well. It looks as though the rear bulkhead bolted right into the original kyosho rear suspension support holes, is that true? I see you had to drill for the traxxas arm mounts and gearbox though. Also was this JG chassis a "long" wheelbase XL chassis or the original pro length? I love the fact that you were able to get mid-motor and a centerline stick battery pack configuration. I want a centerline stick on my ultima, but haven't been able to figure out servo placement yet to make room. Actually had an idea last night - so will see how it works out when I have time to mess with it.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

losiXXXman wrote:Erik, this is truely an awesome machine!! I agree with Asso_man .... your best work ever.
Thankyou :oops:
I have been considering traxxas trannies for my ultima projects as well. It looks as though the rear bulkhead bolted right into the original kyosho rear suspension support holes, is that true?
No, actually I used those holes for the rear of the arm mounts (they were a little further out than originally on the traxxas chassis so I ended up with more toe-in).
The holes for the traxxas bulkhead were newly drilled in the extra material the JG chassis offers behind the rear suspension mount holes.
I see you had to drill for the traxxas arm mounts and gearbox though. Also was this JG chassis a "long" wheelbase XL chassis or the original pro length?
It's the same length as a standard first generation ultima (= short wheelbase). I thought about using the duratrax chassis which is about 10 mm longer but it is narrower (too narrow for the initial sideways mounted stickpack),and has more kickup in the nose (which I thought would not help jumping).
I love the fact that you were able to get mid-motor and a centerline stick battery pack configuration. I want a centerline stick on my ultima, but haven't been able to figure out servo placement yet to make room. Actually had an idea last night - so will see how it works out when I have time to mess with it.
I have done 2 different versions on my stock ultima chassis: 1 with a standard servo: standing up, and the other with a low-profile servo. If you use lipos I wouldn't bother converting to a centerline lay-out. Those packs being so much lighter you better keep them sideways and mount the ESC and receiver on the lower chassis rather than on the topdeck.
On this build I used the custom works sliding steering rack and this really makes the whole steering setup lots compacter. So much I'm thinking of replacing the current low-profile servo with a standard sized one.

The only thing I tried and couldn't get working as wanted was replacing the spur and pinion with a pulley and belt system. The reason I wanted that was to get
the moter spinning the right way. The principle was good : the belt just acts as 4th gear, but I just couldn't make the pulley work with the slipper :(