Graphite Runner Build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Phin
Approved Member

Re: Graphite Runner Build

Post by Phin »

kevsgonefishing wrote:Are the RPM arms wider than the Andys arms and are they any better, and worse???

Those aren't RPM World arms they're Team arms and are the same length as the stock RC10 wide arms. Andy's made arms in three lengths for the RC10...but the ones you see most often are the same length as these RPM arms.

My personal opinion is the RPM arms feel stiffer/stronger than the Andy's arms and are better since they also give 3 mounting holes for the front shocks.

oldmanian
Approved Member

Graphite Runner Build

Post by oldmanian »

Phin wrote:Those aren't RPM World arms they're Team arms and are the same length as the stock RC10 wide arms. Andy's made arms in three lengths for the RC10...but the ones you see most often are the same length as these RPM arms.
Exactly, they are RPM Team arms and they wind up the same width as the stock ones included with the original Graphite kit. I like the look of the RPM's, and I feel like they may be a bit stronger then the stock ones.

As indicated in several other build threads, I used the original hinge pins to mount the new B series parts to the RPM arms, and simply reamed the B4 and B44 parts out with a 1/8" drill bit on a drill press to accept the original RC10 hinge pins.

kevsgonefishing

Post by kevsgonefishing »

Are you saying that the b4 arms will fit the rc10? That would be great cuz the b4 arms are alot wider than stock and would make it handle much better

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

kevsgonefishing wrote:Are you saying that the b4 arms will fit the rc10? That would be great cuz the b4 arms are alot wider than stock and would make it handle much better
Don't believe so, what I used was the RPM arms for the original RC10. In front I went with B4 blocks mated to the RPM arms with the original hinge pins. you just drill out the hole in the B4 blocks. Similiar situation in the rear, use the RC10 arms and hing pins, and then drill out the hinge pin hole on the B44 Rear block and then mount it and use spacers and the B44 CVD's to connect to the trans. This allows for use of new (and more readily and cheapily available) tires and rubber. If I am still not being clear enough, let me know and I will post a pic up of what I am talking about.

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

Got BST access and I am picking up an undertray from ROH73.
I am also picking up the last few parts that I need to complete this. I am going to be short on time for the next li'l bit, so my goal is to get everything needed to finish it at a fever pitch.
:D

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Hi Maurice

Just found this build thread, is this the one you are building that will be similar to my runner? It's coming along good either way

Anthony

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

vintage AE wrote:Hi Maurice

Just found this build thread, is this the one you are building that will be similar to my runner? It's coming along good either way

Anthony
Anthony,
Yep, this is the build I used yours as the template for, hoping I can get it wrapped up soon.
I'll be checking in on yours to get updates as it goes. :wink:
Ian

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

So bulkhead and shock towers are in.

Next batch of items that I need to get:
  • - Undertray from ROH73.
    - Turnbuckle set (ASC6259)
    - Dubro Ball Ends (DUB2318)
    - Buttonhead screws (ASC9645) need these to retain the hinge pins on the new B4 steering blocks. These little screws are needed but don't come in either the hinge pin kit or the B4 steering blocks (ASC9581). :(
    - B44 CVD pin retaining collar (ASC7996). Another item that is not included in the ae part I bought but needed to complete the installation per the manual. I am probably being a bit overly picky on this one but I am waiting on other things anyway, so might as well get it and do it properly.
    - B4.1 top shaft. Not a NEED, but I figure I am going to rip the Stealth trans apart and rebuild it fully from scratch so I might as well swap this while I am at it.
    - Servo Mounts, I was going to re-use what I had, but again, I think I am going to go for something a bit nicer.
    - Shocks. I theoretically could rebuild what I have but I fear that they are not going to serve me well on a runner in consideration of how much I chewed them up before I moth balled the car 18 years ago.... I will see what my scrounging can turn up.... :wink:

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

Phin wrote:
kevsgonefishing wrote:Are the RPM arms wider than the Andys arms and are they any better, and worse???

Those aren't RPM World arms they're Team arms and are the same length as the stock RC10 wide arms. Andy's made arms in three lengths for the RC10...but the ones you see most often are the same length as these RPM arms.

My personal opinion is the RPM arms feel stiffer/stronger than the Andy's arms and are better since they also give 3 mounting holes for the front shocks.
Fixed the post where I had referred to them incorrectly.
Should have parts and time on this build this weekend so looking forward to posting another good update soon.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

That chassis is so shiny it's purdy. How's the next batch of parts coming along?

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

vintage AE wrote:That chassis is so shiny it's purdy. How's the next batch of parts coming along?
Good. I've got a decent amount of them in, and I've re-done the trans with new bearings and a b4.1 top shaft and slipper. I was all set to finish the rear and then I see that I've got a set of Bigjeepz longer arms coming in so I needed to get back on and order b4 CVD's, GT rear hubs and bearings. This will give me full B4 width in the back and leave me with an entire rear suspension set up to match all the extra other parts I've got, so now it's onto ebay to pickup an aluminum pan and start another bin with enough for a build of it's own. :lol:

Up front, I need to find the spacers to put between the knuckles and the hubs. I've got (I think) all the tie rods and ends and all needed to finish the front but I need to get to the LHS and see about some spacers or find something elsewhere that will work.

All in all, I should be able to put together another round of pics shortly with the updates.

On a side note, I crapped out the brushed esc that I was going to use in my M05, so I am now thinking for this I will likely go with the motor and ESC that comes in the B4 RTR. As stated I got a great deal on it, and now my only brushed esc is in that M05.

My confession on all of this is that when I order parts, I invariably wind up changing my build. I'd be lieing if I didn't say that I was seriously looking into alternate shock towers.....

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I know about having enough extra parts to nearly complete 2 builds. I ended up building 3 old/new RC10s, one pan and one graphite chassis and another pan one I sold to come up with some funds for a few electronics :oops:

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

vintage AE wrote:...I ended up building 3 old/new RC10s, one pan and one graphite chassis and another pan one.....
Trying to figure out if that is supposed to be a warning or encouragement.... :P

oldmanian
Approved Member

Reading comprehension costs money$$$

Post by oldmanian »

So, In back I am all set to go with either the BigJeepz arms or the RPM arms.
Up front, I've got a problem, I now have the BigJeepz arms and they require a 10T nose.
I am not really keen on cutting the chassis, so I may be going back to my original thought and going with the RPM all the way around and then saving the arms to go with a new build.

If only I'd have not been such a dope and noticed the 10T front end I would have addressed it differently... oh well....

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

lol, so I guess you could build a tub and a graphite one...told ya :P

RPM arms for the graphite and Bigjeepz arms for the tub chassis :D