Best live bands

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

orangejulius

Re: Best live bands

Post by orangejulius »

Most entertaining: Foxy Shazam. Entire audience was involved, crazy on stage antics, story telling, jumping on keyboards, eating packs of smokes, etc… just a very wild, high energy performance.

Best sound / light: Dream Theatre Saw them in a small venue and it was evident a lot of time was spent setting up for the show. Speakers in the front and back of the theatre, lasers, lights, smoke throughout, and they played a 2.5+ hr set. Awesome

Notable: Ted Nugent at a large venue. Not the best sound setup, but it was raw, dirty and rocked. Bonus seeing Ted shoot a flaming arrow into a guitar at the end of the show.

Biggest disappointment: Robin Trower. Great guitar player, unfortunately the entire band was like a still picture on stage (audience couldn’t even get into it). Got the feeling he was there for a paycheck and nothing else, he stayed to his hits end ended up playing the same 5 songs multiple times, packed up and left.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

orangejulius wrote:Most entertaining: Foxy Shazam.
I've never seen them live, but I wore out their last CD! 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I used to go to live 'gigs' on a regular basis, but for some reason I've just stopped going :? Perhaps part of the reason was the closing of a small local venue where we normally went - there is another venue run by the same people that is still operating but for some reason the sound & atmosphere isn't so good :?:

The bands that went to this venue were often up & coming some of which went onto some sort of notoriety those of note include;

The Zutons (original performers of Amy Whitehouse's 'Valerie')
The Scissor Sisters (didn't have the same success in their native US)
The Kaiser Chiefs
Doves
Teenage Fanclub
The Dears (Man that lead singer has a deep voice!)
Matthew Jay (RIP :( )
The Bees
Jools Holland & his Big Band

Have been to some large stadium concerts including seeing Incubus at Wembly Arena - but I much prefer the smaller venues where you can really get close to the performers!

For a while we followed Brendon Benson - friend of Jack White & fellow band member in the Raconteurs, the most memorable of his gigs we saw was at a small intimate venue in Nottingham where most of his set was acoustic.

But the best gig I saw, which was actually the last one I attended & also the last to be held at our favourite venue (the Soundhaus in Northampton), was Turin Brakes - such beautifull songs on CD but such an epic sound when performed live!

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

NIN
METALLICA ,OZZY/ Black Sabbath,but like 10 years ago i dont know what metallica new stuff would be like live . OZZY/ Black Sabbath i bet would be good still Black Sabbath and NIN is some of my fav music. i cant get too into new metallica but still love the old stuff. my fav shows were nin with david bowie , ozzy at roseland nyc , black sabbath at ozzfest ,and metallica had a few great shows that they made the stage blow up and fall apart. ive seen metallica about 10 times (ozzy also about 10x) and i gotta say not only was every show good i got a guitar pick from james a few picks from jason and a stick from lars. (kirk never gave me anything.) i hear nin is going to be on tour soon thats the only must go for me.. my fav local bar cover band to see was the band my buddys were in but they stopped playing . they went by alot of names but the one i remember was no diving. as for the 1 bar band i really would like to see play.... coffin daggers [youtube]gIoE8Xiuylw[/youtube]

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

No particular order..

Mudhoney

Melvins

OFF!

Reverend Horton Heat

GWAR...yeah, GWAR. Or any of the other Dave Brockie projects; X-Cops, DBX.

Did I mention OFF! ?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

templeofspeed wrote:

Reverend Horton Heat
Man, I had totally forgotten the first RHH show I went to. Great small venue show, rockabilly kids were very kool-

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Oh yeah, Mudhoney is probably at the top of the list of bands I haven't seen but really want to. I see they're doing some dates in the UK with The Meatpuppets opening, that would be a heck of a show.

urpaldan
Approved Member

Post by urpaldan »

Hmmm.....

Well in no particular order,

The Cribs
Jesus & the mary chain
The Charlatans
Rage Against the Machine
Orbital
The Strokes
The White Stripes
Flaming Lips
The Beastie Boys
The Skids

Two local punk bands i would have killed to have seen as an angry young man were,

The Rezillos
The Exploited

Unfortunately i wasn't born soon enough..... :|

moto-steve
Approved Member

Post by moto-steve »

For me a big KISS fan it has to be KISS, and the ROLLING STONES. It would have been great to see the BEATTLES but they broke up. Live beats cds or records any day.
Lifes to short not to play with toys.

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

I forgot about this thread... I actually just got to see one of my favorite live bands last week: Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers. Remember The Refreshments? This is them now. Still doing the alt-country/neo-southern-rock thing, better than ever. Fun show, good crowd, and real musicians playing real instruments. Oh, and totally independent; no record companies involved here. Highly recommended.

Check 'em out here: http://azpeacemakers.com/

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

urpaldan wrote:Hmmm.....

The Beastie Boys|
Was lucky enough to see them at the Sasquatch festival a few years back. AMAZING show. Drove like 3 hrs to watch the show, (literally, we wanted to see JUST them even though it was a 3 day festival) and then drove home. RIP MCA!!

Other shows-

-Pearl Jam - Eddie Vedder drinks wine and stumbles around the stage.
-Foo Fighters - If you haven't seen them live, you WILL be entertained. Dave Grohl is awesome!
-Snow Patrol- Having been to every show they play when they come to Portland, its staring to get repetitive.
-Ed Sheeran - opened for Snow Patrol- had never heard him prior, but great show.

Bands I would LIKE to see:
-Black keys
-Mumford and Sons
-Matisyahu
-Kings of Leon
-Jay Z
-Wale
-Derek Trucks Band

And if I had a time machine-
-Frank Sinatra!

MOmo

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

One of my favourite live performances was Mudhoney at the 1995 Reading festival. Awesome.
:shock:

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

MOmo wrote:
urpaldan wrote:Hmmm.....

The Beastie Boys|
Was lucky enough to see them at the Sasquatch festival a few years back. AMAZING show. Drove like 3 hrs to watch the show, (literally, we wanted to see JUST them even though it was a 3 day festival) and then drove home. RIP MCA!!

Other shows-

-Pearl Jam - Eddie Vedder drinks wine and stumbles around the stage.
-Foo Fighters - If you haven't seen them live, you WILL be entertained. Dave Grohl is awesome!
-Snow Patrol- Having been to every show they play when they come to Portland, its staring to get repetitive.
-Ed Sheeran - opened for Snow Patrol- had never heard him prior, but great show.

Bands I would LIKE to see:
-Black keys
-Mumford and Sons
-Matisyahu
-Kings of Leon
-Jay Z
-Wale
-Derek Trucks Band

And if I had a time machine-
-Frank Sinatra!

MOmo
Saw Ed Sheeran recently, I was working confiscating T-shirts etc from illegal merchandisers. My colleague and I went back stage after the gig had a couple of beers and met Ed, thoroughly nice chap. The way he build tracks live using samples is also very impressive.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Alex, I see you have a TAD avatar. Tad Doyle posted on fb that Gary Thorstensen will join Tad's band "Brothers of the Sonic Cloth" at Sub Pop's 25th anniversary part in July to play a set of songs from God's Balls, Salt Lick and 8-Way Santa. That's happening in Seattle. I wish I could see that, add TAD to the list of bands I wish I could have seen.

Alex B
Approved Member

Post by Alex B »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Alex, I see you have a TAD avatar. Tad Doyle posted on fb that Gary Thorstensen will join Tad's band "Brothers of the Sonic Cloth" at Sub Pop's 25th anniversary part in July to play a set of songs from God's Balls, Salt Lick and 8-Way Santa. That's happening in Seattle. I wish I could see that, add TAD to the list of bands I wish I could have seen.
Tad are good band, I never managed to catch them live either. I remember watching the Pumpkins at Cardiff University. Rachel and I were watching the verve they were the support act and Billy Corgan was stood next to us, we were completely star struck :oops: