HPI RS4MT (Updated Pics 7/4)

The place for all things HPI.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: HPI RS4MT

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Does anyone have a good link to reasonably priced wheels? I've found some decent ones, but I'm always leery that the ones I buy won't fit. Are all the HPI truck wheels the same as far as fitting the axle? I found some on ebay for $7.99, but they're white plastic which means they probably wouldn't take dye. Firestorm wheels would probably work, right? :?
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

as far as I know all HPI wheels fit everything? I use them and all of them are for sale new just about anywere? Tower has them
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

bearrickster wrote:as far as I know all HPI wheels fit everything? I use them and all of them are for sale new just about anywere? Tower has them
Yeah, after a little more research they seem to be doing it right. Making theirself very universal. I may have to get myself a nice Valentine's Day gift. Bearings, wheels, tires and a body. I might be able to stay under or at least close to $50. I'll get my wife a $50 set of roses delivered to her work and myself all this stuff delivered to the house. It's fool-proof! 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Man, I've really been putting this project off. I finally finalized all my orders and have sunk a small fortune in what I thought would be a cheap fun project. :roll: Anyway, before I start the tear down does anyone have any idea how to fix/improve where the chassis has faded. I guess dirt up under the battery with it shifting around has worn away at it. The battery will cover it anyway, but I'd like to make it better. I thought maybe some RIT dye on a rag would help, but if this material doesn't take dye, even a little then that's no good. A Sharpie would stand out like a sore thumb. I should have this done within two weeks if I can find a little time here and there. Anyway, any ideas on that chassis fading? By the way, I'm at home so I had to take a VGA photo due to slow upload from here. I think you'll get the idea though. Thanks
Ken

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: A Sharpie would stand out like a sore thumb. I should have this done within two weeks if I can find a little time here and there. Anyway, any ideas on that chassis fading?
If your going to run it dont worry about it but if its going to sit on the shelf a new one is cheep enought

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXM845&P=OW
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Try some teflon spray. some cans mention it can be used to make fake leather and plastic car interior get their shine back.

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

I've had good luck scrubbing areas like this with Soft Scrub and a Scotchbrite pad.
Gary

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: HPI RS4MT (UPDATED PICS 4/3)

Thanks for your input on cleaning the chassis guys. My wife usually ignores me when I'm working
on an R/C project, but when she heard me shuffling through her cleaning stuff I guess her curiosity got the best of her and she asked what I was doing. She suggested the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge. She said it cleans anything and she was right. There was still some wear so I went over it with a lint-free cloth and a little WD-40. It's not perfect, but I can live with it. After tearing this down and cleaning it I really like this truck. It's my first HPI and it seems built like a tank. I put bearings, rims, tires and new body. Other than that just cleaned and re-built it. I may take the motor plate out and put a buffer to it. I didn't glue the tires yet either because I may switch out rims. These aren't quite the look I was going for, but they might grow on me. I think I'm going to go with the Castle Sidewinder esc, 2s Lipo and a brushed motor. I'm kinda tired of brushless until I get some milder ones. The Monster Horsepower will match the rest of the truck nicely. I hope to get the body painted this weekend, but I think my daughter has Easter egg hunts both days. I need to be there to knock the other kids out of her way. :lol: Kidding obviously. Anyway, sorry to go on so long...it's a sickness. I'll put some pics up with the body when I get them.
Ken

bearrickster
Approved Member

Re: HPI RS4MT (Updated Pics 4/3)

Post by bearrickster »

I like it, I just ordered the parts to finish mine up. I cant wait.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Post by minimini »

I think HPI used to have the woven graphite shock towers for this truck.........really want to get a set of it....... :x

and here is my car (before rebuild).......... :)
Attachments
69.jpg
69.jpg (101.85 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
69.jpg
69.jpg (101.85 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
72(500).jpg
72(500).jpg (99.59 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
72(500).jpg
72(500).jpg (99.59 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
74.jpg
74.jpg (97.07 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
74.jpg
74.jpg (97.07 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
mini@vintage Team Yokomo/Associated

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Mini, after seeing yours and scampi's I am clearly missing some parts. :? I got two in an ebay lot and traded one for a Mamba Max. They both had exactly the same parts so I assumed they were whole. I wondered what a couple of unused areas were for, but wrote it off as HPI using the same chassis parts to make multiple cars. I may need to do more shopping. I traded the other to my cousins and they said that the chassis would flex coming off jumps causing the belt to slip when using big power. They assumed a CF chassis brace would solve the problem, but it could be the missing parts.
Ken

minimini
Approved Member
Location: KWS@Hong Kong; 3.5 hours' trip to meet tiger1 and only 7,777 miles from Doug

Post by minimini »

yes.........that CF chassis brace is the only part I like the most.........coz' I am a "woven graphite maniac" !!........ :mrgreen:

and that is the reason why I want to get the CF shock towers....... :lol:
mini@vintage Team Yokomo/Associated

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Finally got it painted Saturday. It was too windy and I had a bad can of yellow. It wouldn't spray evenly even when warmed up a bit. It's the first bad can I think I've ever had from Pactra. I just need to drill it. I'm still not completely happy with the wheels. I wanted to go for a tough look and they're a bit fancy. We'll see...
Ken

bearrickster
Approved Member

Re: HPI RS4MT (Updated Pics 4/13)

Post by bearrickster »

I have Scampi's truck now Your's looks great!! I like the wheels I wish I would have ordered black now not chrome? looks great
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: HPI RS4MT (Updated Pics 4/13)

bearrickster wrote:I have Scampi's truck now Your's looks great!! I like the wheels I wish I would have ordered black now not chrome? looks great
Thanks. Either Tower or ebay had "black chrome". They looked pretty cool. They're only like $5.99/set. I may get some myself.
Ken