Graphite Runner Build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

oldmanian
Approved Member

Re: Graphite Runner Build

Post by oldmanian »

vintage AE wrote:lol, so I guess you could build a tub and a graphite one...told ya :P

RPM arms for the graphite and Bigjeepz arms for the tub chassis :D
I know, I know....... I am on ebay eyeing up chassis now....

I think that I am going to go with a b4 tranny in the new pan. We'll see....

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

oldmanian wrote:....

You know I was thinking the other day that it might be possible to use the transmission case, top shaft, and idler from an Axial AX10/SCX10 with the diff and outdrives from a B4.1/SC10 to "easily" get a 2.6 ratio transmission onto a gold pan.

The Axial trans has a 20t top shaft and 52t diff gear like the B4.1 but the diff is locked on the rockcrawler. If it's the right width the metric version of the B4.1/SC10 diff/outdrives could be swapped into the Axial case in place of the locked diff. You'd need to also swap the 8x16mm bearings the Axial uses for the 10x16mm bearings the Associated parts need.

The reason for using the Axial case is that it's bottom is flat, unlike the B4 case, and it wouldn't require a square hole cut in the RC10's tub. To mount the Axial case you'd only need to drill four new screw holes...unless by some miracle of a coincidence the Axial's tran matches the stealth holes.

Here's the Axial transmission: http://www.rc-recycler.com/axial-scx10-ax10-rock-crawler-transmission-w-slipper-2263.html

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Phin wrote:

You know I was thinking the other day that it might be possible to use the transmission case, top shaft, and idler from an Axial AX10/SCX10 with the diff and outdrives from a B4.1/SC10 to "easily" get a 2.6 ratio transmission onto a gold pan.

The Axial trans has a 20t top shaft and 52t diff gear like the B4.1 but the diff is locked on the rockcrawler. If it's the right width the metric version of the B4.1/SC10 diff/outdrives could be swapped into the Axial case in place of the locked diff. You'd need to also swap the 8x16mm bearings the Axial uses for the 10x16mm bearings the Associated parts need.

The reason for using the Axial case is that it's bottom is flat, unlike the B4 case, and it wouldn't require a square hole cut in the RC10's tub. To mount the Axial case you'd only need to drill four new screw holes...unless by some miracle of a coincidence the Axial's tran matches the stealth holes.

Here's the Axial transmission: http://www.rc-recycler.com/axial-scx10-ax10-rock-crawler-transmission-w-slipper-2263.html

Sounds like a very good idea to check into see how parts will interchange. Would be almost too good to be true if the bottom mounts holes were the same!

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

Phin wrote:

Damn. Now I need to get on Ebay and try this out.....

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Maybe one of the RC10Talk members from the Formula Offroad thread could offer some testing/measurements/opinions.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Phin wrote:Maybe one of the RC10Talk members from the Formula Offroad thread could offer some testing/measurements/opinions.
Could that possibly be directed towards me, lol

Lmk what you want to know for measurements and what not. I should be able to do a good comparison to the Stealth trans.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

vintage AE wrote:...

Lmk what you want to know for measurements and what not. I should be able to do a good comparison to the Stealth trans.
Not aiming directly at just you but you were a prime target. :wink:

Really only three things to check on for fit:

1) How close does the stealth mounting holes come to the Axial tran's mounting holes. Not completely vital since you can always start with an RC10 chassis that isn't drilled for a stealth and make new holes. Matching mounting holes would just be super convenient.

2) Is a metric B4.1/SC10 diff too wide to fit inside the Axial trans case. Too narrow wouldn't be bad since the diff can be shimmed between the bearings. If you've got the Asc. parts that would make it easier to check but if not measurements of the space between the bearings in the case will do. Then we can find someone with an B4.1 or SC10 and ask them to measure their diff. :D

3) If the Axial gears are 48p and not a metric module. I'd be really surprised if they were metric.

Once we figure out if the Axial case can fit we can move on to how the CVDs/dogbones sit and whether or not the slipper for the Axial trans works well enough for buggy racing.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Sounds like a simple enough task. I cant get to it tomorrow, so this might take a couple of days. I will have photos, measurements and comparisons though :mrgreen:

I guess I have to uninstall both the Wraith trans and a stealth trans from two builds. Too bad I didn't just have one of each sittin around.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

oldmanian might be a little anxious but as far as I'm concerned you can take all the time you need. Appreciate the help.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I'll see what I can do, but I will be away from the house for most of the day. I'm in the process of selling my house and need to be away during viewings. I'm lucky enough not to have to pack up my entire hobby room. Most of my stuff is packed away, but I will dig some stuff out for you guys.

ck33
Approved Member

Post by ck33 »

I keep reposting this link, but here is a quick method to put a B4 trans in an RC10. No new holes in the chassis.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=26304

I have a rev 2.0 I'm planning to publish soon! Uses stock shock tower, and a thinner bulkhead.

oldmanian
Approved Member

Post by oldmanian »

vintage AE wrote:I'll see what I can do, but I will be away from the house for most of the day. I'm in the process of selling my house and need to be away during viewings. I'm lucky enough not to have to pack up my entire hobby room. Most of my stuff is packed away, but I will dig some stuff out for you guys.
Whenever you can do it, I'd appreciate it. No real rush though.

I'm going to finish my graphite build and when you let us know about the axial compatibility I'll know what to pickup for the next build.

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Phin wrote:
vintage AE wrote:...

Not aiming directly at just you but you were a prime target. :wink:

Really only three things to check on for fit:

1) How close does the stealth mounting holes come to the Axial tran's mounting holes. Not completely vital since you can always start with an RC10 chassis that isn't drilled for a stealth and make new holes. Matching mounting holes would just be super convenient.
For those who don't know what the Axial trans looks like, here ya go

I think I got this question nailed down. I will work on the next question shortly.

Looks like if you want to install this beast, then there will be some drilling

Here are the Associated hole measurements

These are the Axial measurements

I was curious of their weights, as is, so I took a look

Associated

Axial

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

Just read question 2....

It mentions a B4.1 diff, so does that mean you want to compare the B4 trans? I assumed that we were dealing with a RC10 trans case. If we are dealing with a RC10 stealth trans case then I wasn't aware that the B4 diff could be used in it :?

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I feel a bit ADHD right now, I get ya. You want to put the B4 diff in the Axial case, the RC10 stealth trans is only used for hole measurements....I'm a tard :oops: