Old is New JRX2 (Arms mounted)

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Seabass
Business Member

Re: Old is New JRX2 (machined new arms)

Post by Seabass »

William, I would love to go to the vonats next year. If I do i will bring this one, my red RC10, the 870, and a JRX Pro I have lined up after this build is done.

First test fit of the arms on the rear is no good with sliders. Suspension travel is limited where the sliders are coming in contact with the arms. I will be working on the arms in the next few days to correct these issues. The final arms will be machined with these corrections in place. I want to keep the option of running bones and sliders open with these. I need to remove approximately 3/8 from the arms in order to make the sliders fit properly.

Question for some of you guys since I am not the most squared away with settings. The rear hubs I got on this car have two mounting positions where the hinge pin connects the hub to the rear arm :? . One is higher than the other. What difference would changing holes make on the suspension? I am sure they are there for a reason, I just don't know what the difference would be. Maybe other that changing the ride height. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

Jake

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The adjustment of the 2038 rear hubs are about driveline angle, run them in the lower holes, and make the camber link parallel to the arm.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Thank you Reg.

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

love to see those machined arms, artwork!! :D

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

tiger1 wrote:love to see those machined arms, artwork!! :D
Indeed! Mmmm...custom-machined control arms....very drool-worthy! :P
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

very sweet! and dyeable too :D

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

Arms are beautiful Jake. Any reason you went with the swept geometry front arm, since you are already on the x2 short chassis? I only ran the swept arms on the pro chassis BITD.

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

Stupid question though, that arms is stock length right and not the RPM length right?
possible to make the same lenght as the RPM when you do the run? ? ;-)

./jun
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

Wow, I think I am going to take apart one of my X2's or Xt's and do the fake CF layup. That looks fantastic in the pics. Great for a shelf queen where you dont have to worry about marring it up. Would even be good to preserve the bottom of a runner chassis, with moderate use.

Great idea!

If I ever get access to the BST area I'll be interested in a set of those arms as well.

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

huminski wrote:Wow, I think I am going to take apart one of my X2's or Xt's and do the fake CF layup. That looks fantastic in the pics. Great for a shelf queen where you dont have to worry about marring it up. Would even be good to preserve the bottom of a runner chassis, with moderate use.

Great idea!

If I ever get access to the BST area I'll be interested in a set of those arms as well.
since I can vouge for your honesty and intent for being a member here, and love for vintage RC, let me help out with the magic number 25 posts... :D

would you be interested in a chassis protector for the X2 conversion you purchased from me?

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Well to be completely honest I went with the swept arms for two reasons. First I had the swept arms on this car when it arrived from ebay. Second I have an RC10 here that has a set of arms that are very similar to the RPM worlds, (close in length and width).

I compared the JRX2 with the arms it had VS the RC10 old is new I finished. The wheelbase and track width was pretty close to being the same so that is what I went with.

Since this is an old is new Losi, why not try something new. I am not trying to make this car compete with the 22, just something different that will get people talking if I ever pull the car on the track. Are the arms going to perform the greatest, I have no idea? Is the car going to be controllable, yes, better than any Tamiya product ever made. You may just have to drive the thing a little more than the newer cars.

I am sure the shorter wheelbase car will be a handful on the track but only time will tell. I am still a good bit away from even getting this car into roller status. If there is much of an interest I could always machine arms that are not swept back. I don't have an RPM arm so making arms the same length as those is impossible unless someone had one they wanted to send to me for measurements.

huminski
Approved Member

Post by huminski »

UltraHIVE wrote:
since I can vouge for your honesty and intent for being a member here, and love for vintage RC, let me help out with the magic number 25 posts... :D

would you be interested in a chassis protector for the X2 conversion you purchased from me?
Yes I would, let me know what you've got! I used to have a dahms under body lexan shell for the X2 buggy plate body but sold it on ebay a few years ago.

Seabass
Business Member

Re: Old is New JRX2 (Arms mounted)

Post by Seabass »

I am still waiting on some of the parts to arrive for this car but I was able to get the hinge pin holes drilled and the arms completely mounted without binding with the sliders in the rear. I also had to machine new mounting block for the rear since the one I had was toast and would not stay in place.

I got the tranny built using B4 slipper parts and a hydra shaft donated by Rick (thank you). I will be using B4 buggy wheels for this build. I am still mocking this thing up so final assembly is far way.

Some of you have metioned about the front arms being swept and making the wheelbase too short. The wheelbase on this car is about 1/8 shorter than my RC10 old is new. Not sure how much of a problem it will create. Hopefully I can get some arms machined without them being swept back so much. We will see.

I also had 2 sets of arms I was going to list but when I drilled the holes for the shock mounts, I goofed up and measured wrong. Off coarse I didn;t check any of the parts until I drilled all the holes except for the last set. I will have some of these in the next few weeks for those of you wanting a set. There is a comparison shot of the JRX2 VS my RC10. Don't mind the missing turnbuckles, LOL.

Enjoy the pics.

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Looks great Jake, cant wait to see the finished build

geeforce59
Approved Member

Post by geeforce59 »

Those white arms are so 'Prototype' looks good on your project! :)