Turbo Optima Re-Re Transmission

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: Turbo Optima Re-Re Transmission

Post by klavy69 »

and us in the peanut gallery would love to find out where that random bearing came from :wink: :P ...
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

I'll give that a try; thanks. I'm glad at least for my OCD in that I ordered a new gear box before it became impossible to get Kyosho parts (I sorta stripped the part where that set screw goes in :oops:)...so I'll just swap out those cruddy spacer things.
gearbox.jpg
XLR8 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:32 pmWow, this is a serious head-scratcher.
Now that it's apart, maybe you could assemble the entire slipper assembly outside the car (from plates to nut - the whole thing) and confirm that you can tighten the nut against the spring sufficiently to lock the big gear so that it can't spin on the shaft?
If the slipper assembly is working correctly, it should not be easy to spin the big gear with one hand while holding the small gear with the other after the nut is tightened.

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

Thanks again for all of your help. Once I got into a groove it went back together quite easily. I can't be 100% sure but I think it was all the result of this little OT208d gear in step #3 being off-kilter because one of those BRG007 bearings wasn't secure. Seems to be running like a top now, tranny smooth as silk. I'm glad I persisted....came really close to dumping it all in a box & selling it or trying to find someone else to finish it for me. It was a humbling experience to struggle so much with what would have taken me a couple of evenings when I was 14 (without message boards or YouTube around for guidance). The lost vision, dexterity, patience, attention span, ability to sit comfortably, etc....was beginning to depress me!

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

It Must be the Covid 19 blues!!
Seems everyone with spare time and totally board stiff is finding or digging out there old cars to tinker with :D
It's all GOOD!
Can't go to Church
Can't go to the Bar
Can't Dine Inn
Can't have big family get togethers
Can't go on dates ( If you are single )
Can't have long Kisses with the wife ( WELL??? Maybe ? ) if your under ?? what 50? it's the wife germ thing you know

But We Can play with are RC Cars and Trucks!!

Sound like it is a new rebuild tranny time

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

FOR SURE - The one silver lining to all of this. Without the pandemic, it might have taken me another year. There's no shortage of unfinished R/C projects 'round here...tho I think I'm going to log some more wheel time before getting back to the workbench. Too bad I still can't take this thing to the track ... and I don't think I wanna bring it out into the rough where I bash my E-Revo...

So the next question is just what to do next?
Merlin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:21 pm It Must be the Covid 19 blues!!
Seems everyone with spare time and totally board stiff is finding or digging out there old cars to tinker with :D

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

I took it out for the first off-road mission, and everything was great ... (though still too slow)

Anyway, it looks like too much gunk got stuck in the belt drive area... Should there be that little opening? Any ideas for keeping more of the dirt out of there? I guess I'll just put a piece of tape over that, but it's not the only spot that collected the gook. I wish there was one of those outerwears-type shrouds for this car...
IMG_4774 (1).jpeg

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

For my belt drive cars, I think it's important to do whatever I can to keep dirt out of the belt.
I'll use packing tape, silicone sealant or whatever is handy and seems like it will provide a positive seal then invest some time making sure that every hole is covered.
Also, since the belt runs adjacent to gears in the rear gearbox, it can function like a conveyor belt and pull dirt into the gears. This makes it even more important to seal everything as best I can.
That gap shown in your photo looks odd. I don't recall seeing that in any of my optimas.
Doug

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

sundevil67 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:56 pm I took it out for the first off-road mission, and everything was great ... (though still too slow)

Anyway, it looks like too much gunk got stuck in the belt drive area... Should there be that little opening? Any ideas for keeping more of the dirt out of there? I guess I'll just put a piece of tape over that, but it's not the only spot that collected the gook. I wish there was one of those outerwears-type shrouds for this car...

IMG_4774 (1).jpeg
That space shouldn't be there...on the underside of that little square plastic cover hold-down on the right side, there's a bar that protrudes from the flat part, and it's offset, it's not symmetrical. It's all too easy to install it reversed. :P If that bar is oriented correctly, when bolted down, it should prevent the clear chain/belt guide cover from sliding forward and making that space appear. Remove the 2 screws holding that hold-down piece, look at the bottom surface and make sure it's positioned correctly.

I went a step further with my Optima resto-mods, using some spare flat Lexan to add additional dust covers:

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=17726&start=67

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

Oooh that's fancy.. I have some spare lexan, maybe I'll give that a try. Thanks for the heads up. I guess it needs to come apart again :shock:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

sundevil67 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:49 pm Oooh that's fancy.. I have some spare lexan, maybe I'll give that a try. Thanks for the heads up. I guess it needs to come apart again :shock:
Nah, just 4 top deck bolts and loosen the chain protector cap at the front, slide the flat Lexan into place, mark drill holes, drill and install. 15 minute job, if that. :) The piece in the back might not be easy to get to if you've already installed electronics, but that's only held on with 2 screws. Another example:

Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

It just so happens that my offroad shenanigans caused me to have to remove my ESC anyway to add some fresh double-sided tape, so it's as good a time as any.. I wish I had some new gears to install while I'm at it, but my pinion order just got cancelled... I guess the Kyosho distributor issues aren't getting better yet.

I'll get at it as soon as I get this monster off my table. One day after the pandemic is gone I'm going to need to hire an assistant to help keep up with R/C projects .. yeesh :shock:
IMG_4764.jpeg
Coelacanth wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:58 pm Nah, just 4 top deck bolts and loosen the chain protector cap at the front, slide the flat Lexan into place, mark drill holes, drill and install. 15 minute job, if that. :) The piece in the back might not be easy to get to if you've already installed electronics, but that's only held on with 2 screws. Another example:

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Oh my! The Kraton is a BEAST. :shock:
I think some states require a permit. :lol:
It's like the Hayabusa of RC's. You gotta be careful where you point that thing. :D
Doug

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

The fact that I got it like 4 days ago and have yet to run it says something....I had to buy a freakin bicycle trailer to haul the thing to a place where I can drive it. It's sure to draw a crowd of 11 year olds wherever I do (that's how I know I bought a cool toy :) ) Batteries charged, skid plate installed... today might be the day...

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

Lost count on what # rebuild this is... so disappointing

#1 The straightaway in this video is full throttle.. why oh why is this thing so slow ?! Le Mans 240S motor & ESC?

#2 There is still something wrong with the (@*# transmission. I don't know how many times I can do the same thing & expect a different result :cry:

Anyone hear anything familiar or have any idea why it's so pokey?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Your first video with the straightaway is mis-linked; it actually is the Kyosho ESC website.