Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Re: Bored? Come To The Chit / Chat Thread

Post by Dangeruss »

When you want the cheapest Chinese motor money can buy, just say...

RC Motor.JPG

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Dangeruss wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:02 am When you want the cheapest Chinese motor money can buy, just say...

RC Motor.JPG
Focket!
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

What is a "climbing car"?!?!?! :|
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Halgar wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:14 am What is a "climbing car"?!?!?! :|
Probably "crawler". But a 12T seems hot for a crawler. The mystery remains...

BattleTrak

Post by BattleTrak »

-Brad

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

BattleTrak wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:54 am Image
Yep. Bingo.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Halgar wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:14 am What is a "climbing car"?!?!?! :|
I know of Icelands hillclimb cars. But I still thought of this too :lol:

I don’t know how to attach YouTube links but here’s a direct link.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

romulus22 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:11 am I don’t know how to attach YouTube links
Quick tip. When you are posting, hit the YouTube button, and it will put some brackets in your post. Copy your youtube link address in between the brackets, and then delete everything from the beginning through the second = sign. So you end up with that last 10-12 digit code in the brackets. For your link, it is "bdHKGbddqko."

I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I don't do that with YouTube links because then they aren't viewable on my DuckDuckGo mobile browser.
1000011032.png
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

BattleTrak wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:54 am Image
It's amazing the scale realism they got with that! They even put up miniature people and an excavator at the top! Just amazing! :wink: :lol: :lol:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Someone built a 1/4 scale formula offroad R/C that's been on eBay for quite a while now. It's pretty incredible, but isn't worth anywhere near $15,000! :shock: :roll: :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145092333269

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Breaking in transmissions with an air gun/chuck reminded me of an F around and find out shop hijinks experience. Now, normally, you don't tell people you've done something this dumb....Anyway..

OK, so never spool up a bearing with compressed air, right? Right, we all know this. But, why not?

Conducting annual trailer maintenance, I found myself with some condemned tapered roller bearings. I give one the old two fingers on my left hand and spool it up with the air chuck in my right. I'm running about 150psi thru the non-OSHA compliant tip, get it going real good. Sounds like a tornado siren. Now I'm not so dumb that I didn't have eye pro on (Z87+). Anyway, cage worbles apart, instantaneous catastrophic failure/dynamic imbalance, inner race twangs from my fingers. Everything just disappeared. I hear rollers ricocheting all around the shop. I found a couple rollers and the cage 70-80+ ft from the building, out in the bay approach/parking lot and my fingers were numb for three hours. I found out. Wouldn't do it again, but I'm glad I did it. Now I can tell people why you really shouldn't do it. Kinda like lighting firecrackers while holding them with your teeth. :lol: :roll:

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I have a whole "wow, what was I thinking?" work story, but I will just give the result. I ended up with my thumb trying to plug a 1/4"npt hole on a pump that contained 180*F water under pressure .............. and ended up having to keep my thumb there for 2-3 minutes. The resulting blister ended up being huge and nasty and lasted for what seemed like weeks. Completely avoidable, stupid mistake.

Late month reminders:

BOTM: 2ish days left to vote! https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=49382

Waffle: Ends this coming Friday! https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=49383&hilit=waffle
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Stopped by a table at the flea market this morning, pretty excited to see a Tami Mk5 Porsche, and the seller yells from his truck, "$60 for all of the RC stuff." Yessir! :D The Mk5 looks complete, and I should have a new body and decals sitting around for it. With a new bottom chassis plate, it should restore nicely. Heck, I may have a Technigold or Black Sprint in the stash for it.

The little Losi Mini LST is kinda interesting. I didn't notice until I got home that it appears to be about 100% built from aftermarket aluminum parts. I don't think there is a piece of plastic on it. :shock: I think I can throw it on FBMP and it pay for the whole lot maybe.
Attachments
FLEA MARKET 5-26-24.jpg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

After the fun of the flea market this morning, it was time to commence with Operation Workshop Reclaim. This room had been leaking from about the time we moved in 14 years ago, and I bandaided it for awhile, and then about 10 years ago, I had the house and everything re-roofed. For the workshop, they replaced some plywood, and I just jerry-rigged sister'd some of the joints, and I thought the problem was gone. I added a wall to create a shed on the other side, and put up some new sheetrock, and I had a functional workshop for awhile. It only took 2-3 years before signs of leaking starting showing up, and in my lazy, maybe it will just go away, mindset, I just ignored it and used the room less and less, and started using it for storage mostly, and really it just became out of sight, out of mind. It is built off the back of the garage, so it can become easy to ignore. But I am out growing the hobby room in the house, and I have this space that I can be using, so time to get off butt and fix before it becomes unfixable.

I really was hoping it wasn't going to be very bad, and it was going to be concentrated in one area, but nope. The issue is (and was) failure of the headwall flashing, and it should have been fixed the first time around. The first 2' of plywood is shot from one end to the other, and 4' in some spots. Most of the joists are bad 2-4' from the top also. I am not a framer or a roofer, but I am going to see what I can do here. Cut out the bad, replace with good. The only part that I have to really think about is the original problem, the flashing. I am going to take that part slow.
WS1.jpg
WS2.jpg
WS3.jpg
WS4.jpg
WS5.jpg
WS6.jpg