Discuss.

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Discuss.

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Look, I don't want to see any images of Roosters next-

benny

Post by benny »

Image?????

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

:shock: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

How about an entrance exam to be accepted on to this forum?

Questions could span a range of topics covering all areas of technical vintage rc. Additionally, the exam could also include testing people's wit by way of the submission by them of samples of things they find funny (might avoid future pictures of birds (including roosters) being posted... :D )....

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

I would be tickled if noobs would just actually read the "what's it worth rule" :lol:

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:I would be tickled if noobs would just actually read the "what's it worth rule" :lol:
And the "you must state a price" rule....

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

CNA75 wrote:How about an entrance exam to be accepted on to this forum?

Questions could span a range of topics covering all areas of technical vintage rc. Additionally, the exam could also include testing people's wit by way of the submission by them of samples of things they find funny (might avoid future pictures of birds (including roosters) being posted... :D )....
As alluded to above, I would be all for considering any process that might continue to allow/encourage membership while limiting the number of people manipulating the forum to sell stuff. I think that it would have to require little-to-no additional input from the mods in order to be feasible.

You could increase the number of posts required ... that way it would set a higher bar for people to reach if they want to participate in the BST forums. Anyone will make 25 inane comments in order to sell their battered RC10 for $50, but 100 inane comments and we *know* you belong.

You could limit starting new threads to people who have made a minimum number of posts. A large proportion of the most annoying threads are started by people who *just* signed up and show a blurry cell-phone picture of an unidentifiable r/c car that is covered in cobwebs/glue/peeling double-sided tape, perforated with drunken-monkey-style drilled holes, and crucified with an ecclectic assortment of wood screws, accompanied by some uninteresting story regarding a neighbors basement, or a flee-market, an unnamed sibling, or whatever, who concludes the post by asking ...

...(all together now)...

..."HOW MUCH IS THIS WORTH?"

Or you could just leave it the way that it is now. It ain't broke, and the only people around here who fix things that ain't broke are ... um ... all those crazy people who pick up an RC10 / JRX2 / Ultima / etc runner on eBay or from another member on the BST and clean it up before relegating it to the shelf with an unpainted body ...

... which is just about everybody here.

Hmm.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

CNA75 wrote:How about an entrance exam to be accepted on to this forum?

shirochanwrx wrote: You could increase the number of posts required

We've discussed that here before, and agreed that 25 is fair...
shirochanwrx wrote:Anyone will make 25 inane comments in order to sell their battered RC10 for $50
We do require them to be meaningful posts, and have a valid ebay account-
shirochanwrx wrote: but 100 inane comments and we *know* you belong.

You currently have almost 3 times that amount, hoe many do you think are all considered meaningful ( ie ribbing, etc. )
shirochanwrx wrote:
You could limit starting new threads to people who have made a minimum number of posts.
And then how do you get to the 100 post mark?
shirochanwrx wrote: A large proportion of the most annoying threads are started by people who *just* signed up and show a blurry cell-phone picture of an unidentifiable r/c car that is covered in cobwebs/glue/peeling double-sided tape
uh huh-,
shirochanwrx wrote: perforated with drunken-monkey-style drilled holes, and crucified with an ecclectic assortment of wood screws,
sometimes..
shirochanwrx wrote: accompanied by some uninteresting story regarding a neighbors basement, or a flee-market, an unnamed sibling, or whatever,
[/quote] Wow, really showing a stout disregard for the "human condition" here, which surprises me-

This place is about sharing what you have, how you got it, what you might or might not do with it, Scr8p restored a cobwebbed, painted, dyed 6 gear into a perfect Edinger over the course iof 3 years- that's worth showing, and a story that I find interesting.

Can you direct me to some of your build threads? I don't know if I have seen any-

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
This place is about sharing what you have, how you got it, what you might or might not do with it, Scr8p restored a cobwebbed, painted, dyed 6 gear into a perfect Edinger over the course iof 3 years- that's worth showing, and a story that I find interesting.

Can you direct me to some of your build threads? I don't know if I have seen any-
I think that you got me wrong ... I was indulging in the discussion re: ideas about other criteria, etc. Earlier I had said that more criteria would probably be unnecessary, and I *did* conclude the above post by saying that it if ain't broke, why fix it (while pointing out that many people here "fix" things that work all the time i.e. "restoring").

I think that collecting and repairing battered RC is the greatest, whether or not it works in the first place ... I know that I've said that in other threads. I *prefer* repair and re-use of old parts myself, but I've got nothing against people who are doing new builds.

And sure, I haven't posted any builds, and I do feel like a tourist, but posting on a message board, picking up (mostly used) parts here and there, and looking forward to having some free time by mid summer to get back to building is all I've got time for right now. But it is a good point, and I am sure that you aren't the only person who shares that sentiment.

But if you think that my comments are inane, you're entitled to that. Most of my shorter comments are just to let people know that I appreciate them going to the trouble of posting pics and talking about their builds, and a lot of that is because I know that I don't have the time to do the same.

I can see how my previous post, that you quoted, may be read as to sound malignant, but I didn't mean it to sound that way. I was just rolling together some of the common features of "what is it worth" threads and pet-peeves of vintage r/c photography and eBay pitfalls. But if you think that I was somehow trying to pick on someone in particular, I'm glad you said something about it.

top cat mike
Approved Member

Post by top cat mike »

100 comments IMO would be way to many. I don't think many people currently here would have stuck around that long. Helping out members who are not as knowledgeable is what helps the hobby to grow. The new member who could have a part or car somebody is interested in purchasing might not stick around if they have to wait until 100 posts. Unfortunately there will be a few knuckleheads along the way that can be an annoyance, but it comes with the territory. The internet is full of them due to anonymity.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Your moderators have the situation (and the board) under control fellas.

Have faith in your mods. 8)

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

8rad wrote: Lots of idiots own RC10s too!
I take offence to this......haha.... :lol:

I found this joint when I picked up an old RC10 to restore....I raced back in the '80's. The negative of this place is that now I see all the "other" cool vintage RC's....car's I remember for BITD, and I want them too.....
So RC10Talk is tough on my bank account..... :mrgreen:
I do think that the "other" makes/models questions tend to overpower the RC10 stuff....at times.
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription.....is more cowbell."
Pinstriping by Josh

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

My 2 pennies...

When I joined I MAY have had an rc10, I don't really remember. I think if you're interested in rc10's whether you own one or not the site is for you. I think cutting anyone out that doesn't ALREADY have one would be a disservice to us all. If someone took the time to seek out the site and wanted to sign up knowing the name is "rc10talk" I think it's safe to assume they're a fan on some level.

With that said, I think the one and only time I really complained about anything was when we broke up the forums into different makes. I DO like that we have stuff for other cars but I think making the rc10 forum just another one in the mix took away from the focus. When we had just a single forum for everything else I think it gave the rc10 the spotlight still.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

HotRodJosh wrote: I do think that the "other" makes/models questions tend to overpower the RC10 stuff....at times.
Not in the appropriate RC10 sections. ;) I guess if RC10 fanatics ONLY want to see and read RC10 stuff, they don't need to venture into the other brand sections.

EDIT: I just did a little math.

The 4 RC10/Associated sections have a total of 45,708 posts. *All* the other brand sections, including "Other", only total 40,983 posts.

Of those 45,708 posts, over 37,000 of those are just dedicated to the RC10 cars & trucks alone. Of all the other brands, Losi had the biggest representation, at only 8704 posts compared to 37,000-ish.

So, I think the forum is working fine just the way it is. No need for you RC10 buffs to start feeling a little left out. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Coelacanth wrote:EDIT: I just did a little math.

The 4 RC10/Associated sections have a total of 45,708 posts. *All* the other brand sections, including "Other", only total 40,983 posts.

Of those 45,708 posts, over 37,000 of those are just dedicated to the RC10 cars & trucks alone. Of all the other brands, Losi had the biggest representation, at only 8704 posts compared to 37,000-ish.

So, I think the forum is working fine just the way it is. No need for you RC10 buffs to start feeling a little left out. 8)

2. You must have contributed at least 25 meaningful posts before access will be granted. DO NOT attempt to pad your post count.

But the real question is will I ever reach 25 meaningful posts?? :?

I doubt it.............................. :lol: :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken