A rant about flocks of gaudy peacocks

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Re: A rant about flocks of gaudy peacocks

Post by Timmahhh »

Sorry about that! I hadn't seen the thread before so I was just adding my 2 cents.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Timmahhh wrote:Sorry about that! I hadn't seen the thread before so I was just adding my 2 cents.
I was totally kidding! :D Don't ever worry about offending me please. It's impossible! I just had to laugh at myself as I forgot all about these posts in here. :oops: I love when an old thread gets a bump. It means people are reading and pumping new life into the forum and resuscitating(sp?) all these old threads. Bump away!!! :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:resuscitating(sp?)
BTW that was a joke too. I used Firefox spell check on that one! It's just like my wife... tells me everything that I'm doing wrong. :? :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

slim_chance
Approved Member

Post by slim_chance »

I agree with you. My tast tends to lean to less quantity (colors) and more quality (good lines and flow) the most colors I think I have ever used was three if you count painting on the tail lights. My current project actually seems to be the most complex one and its only 2 colors. But doing a spider web even a simple one is quite involved as I have learned.
Super phenominal cosmic plans! itty bitty bank account.

Procrastinators unite!......tomorrow.
My new Fb page by bashers for bashers. Rc bashers unite! http://www.facebook.com/RcBashersUnite

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Since the thread has been resurrected, I'd like to update it with my thoughts on the last few months' pages of painted bodies over on RCTech.net. I think I go through 3 pages of submissions before finding a single one that's unique. Everyone's doing the same crap. To itemize some of the silliness I see ad infinitum:

1. Stripes or tribals going through the front & rear windshields; what's the point of this technique, anyway??

2. Skull templates ghosted into the paint. BOOORRRRRING.

3. Lines for the car headlights ignored to instead paint on squinty "angry eyes" instead of headlights. This just looks so dumb to me.

4. The oh-so-done-do-death carbon-fiber technique using every color in the book.

This is of course in addition to all the previous things I discussed, which I see done over and over and over again. Tribals, bloops, droops and wild & insane, eye-assaulting colors that just don't belong together.

Oh well...to each their own. :roll:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I've been on a simple paint job kick lately. Orange/white with a charcoal stripe (black on the bed of the SC)

on a buggy

same SC scheme, different colors

I'll be painting up a new SC body soon, plan on the same orange/white set up.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Nothing at all wrong with those, tasteful, the paint takes some advantage of the body lines, and doesn't use all those idiotic techniques already mentioned. 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

I happen to be a fan of the Orange, :)...

Although I do agree with some of the tribals and stuff that is "Popular" right now being cliche, I like to think its just a time that maybe some of us do not understand. If you talk to some of these kids in racing today, you may not understand them either. But its the "Fashion" per say today and although some of us do not agree with it, nothing we can do but sound like grumpy old farts. I remember a time when I thought the same of people my current age and if I knew what I knew now back then (And understood it) there are many things I would do differently. But it is what it is...

For me though, I don't know if its me or jealousy as to some of the talents out there, but I do know if I wanted, I could put some simple thought into a body and finish as a finalist in Concours at a World Championship event. It does happen to be mostly a paint scheme that I have been using since the early 90's with a twist and the exception I have used different colors as the main color before I stuck with Orange.... Now, after reading some of this thread, I know that many of you will not like it because it has flames... but like I said, I have been with this particular "Scheme" even back in those days that we are here glorifying in this forum. So I guess I don't understand the "Vintage is only straight lines and few colors" idealogy?

So without further ado, here is the body I designed, cut out and painted with my own hands and ideas and was a top three finalist in Concours at the Sedan World Championships in Houston 2010.

Side with American Flag and yes there is 50 stars on there, they were a bitch (Some paint has come off towards the front of flag from not being handled so well:

Other side representing the state I reside:

And the top three from left to right:

Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Now... after showing that, I do know that I was the only one entering a car in that contest that I painted myself. Almost all the cars on display (There were about 50 or so) were not painted by the people that were driving them. And yes, they are not nice clean straight lines that follow the contour of a body (Which bore me btw, ;)), but they were my scheme (The flames and orange paint) that I have used for many years with just a couple flags added to it.

I painted 4 of them of which I raced with 2 others and I have one that is still not cut out. It took me about 4 hours to mask, cut trim paint all 4... Myself (As you can see I'm quite irritated that I lost to someones work that was not even at the race, :)) Although the one with the eagle on the hood was dialed!
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
My feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I know you won't want to hear this Sean, but since you posted...

Those 3 cars embody a good deal of what I don't like about the way so many cars are painted these days. Colors that clash, too many things going on a the same time (murals, tribals, overly busy)...but anyway, to each their own. :) Now someone needs to start a topic on all the otherwise boring paint-jobs that don't exhibit all the modern skills & techniques you see these days. :lol:

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Nah, it's all good... I painted the orange one. My point is that I have been using those same flames on my race cars since 89... So I don't know how you claim how one is "retro" over another I guess?
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
My feedback

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Well, there's nothing retro about flames, of course. Flame jobs have been done on 1:1 hot-rods since the 60's, maybe even earlier, I'd imagine. I think this rant was more about people who use flames, tribals, checkered flags, tears, paint blobs, skulls, stripes, carbon fiber treatment...any more than 2 of those used on the same body has a big risk of being overdone & overly busy. Well, that's my rant, anyway. Welcome to it! :D

loftfind
Approved Member

Post by loftfind »

I don't see what's wrong with getting me old badger brush out = putting me readers on (not me see'ers) and slathering a bit of old skool lexan on the reverse, smells great too...

box art.. old skool plain schemes :arrow: .. every time

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Coelacanth wrote:Well, there's nothing retro about flames, of course. Flame jobs have been done on 1:1 hot-rods since the 60's, maybe even earlier, I'd imagine. I think this rant was more about people who use flames, tribals, checkered flags, tears, paint blobs, skulls, stripes, carbon fiber treatment...any more than 2 of those used on the same body has a big risk of being overdone & overly busy. Well, that's my rant, anyway. Welcome to it! :D
Oh okay, I get it now... Some of them are okay to me, But ya I can see your point, they get a little busy sometimes, :)
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
My feedback

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

The one with the eagle on the hood above, was cool to me because of the eagle... You can't see it very well, but they also painted the race logo on the roof in the background from the black paint... And on the side they Had Texas in gold and a Texas flag in the background representing the state that race was being held in. The guy that had the body entered in concourse was from Japan. He didn't paint it, but I thought the body was overly busy myself.

If I did mine over again, I think I would add the texas flag in it somehow to represent where the race was being held...

the green one on the right, I thought was very cool having the Ausie flag incorporated in the tear away portions of it. you can see the stars from the flag on the roof. I remember an outfit that was in texas (Bodies by biff or something like that) in the early 90's that did a lot of bodies with the tear away affect as well, motion graphics did some stuff with the graphite effect... drips also were quite big in early 90's along with flourescent colors and checkerboards totally coming from the 80's...

The only thing to me that is fairly new to the scene, is tribals and the background skulls... Some people have evil clowns... They are all stencils anyone can buy, so not a whole lot special. I do find the art in how they use those things amazing because it is done very uniform. But if you think about it, art for RC bodies has kinda taken the turn similar to tattoo art which is a thing that has become very popular with the younger crowd.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
My feedback