Pretty lousy quality for $250.00

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

R/Cat
Approved Member

Re: Pretty lousy quality for $250.00

Post by R/Cat »

CamplinP wrote:Well, you can only have it one way and people will bitch about whichever way it is. I have seen some threads of re-re's saying they changed this and that and are pissed because it is not to original form. Now we have a very close representation of an original and people are pissed that it doesn't meet 2013 manufacturing standards. Does anyone remember whole handbooks written to get the six gear working smoothly? This is/was hobby grade racing hardware and is why a lot of novice users were swayed into grasshoppers, hornets, and falcons. Tweak, modify, and fix away on a VINTAGE racer. It is not meant to be a B4.4.
I find it hard to believe that AE/TT thought it was important enough to modernize the re-re RC10 in several ways including it's ability to handle lipo/brushless power but decided that it would be better to keep the imperfect fit and finish for "nostalgia's" sake. Since AE is claiming they tested the re-re down to 6T/8T(?) brushless power I think the fit/finish should match in order to accomodate that power because improvement in one area should require improvements in another. It was legitimate, A-main hobby grade racing hardware 30 years ago. Nowadays it'll be limited to 30-40-something year olds backyard bashing and/or running in vintage events for fun.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I think this boils down to different expectations and while a lot of us are happy to have it in any form, others want it to have perfect fit and finish. Here's the thing about that...the people that are cool with it didn't design it, redesign it, and don't accept money from Team Associated to push its sales. We are all just enthusiasts. Complaining on a forum about it and dragging it on isn't going to get anywhere. If you have a legitimate issue the concerns should be taken up with Team Associated. We can't fix it for you here.

For all those that got their front end built and are giving up....Send it to me and ill finish it for ya. 8) I ain't scared of filing, shimming, shaving, and drilling the occasional servo horn access hole
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

Several ways; they made modern batteries fit, they basically used gold versions of the current top load shocks, and they made the gears so you didn't have to file them.. oh and some L R and other marks to differentiate the parts from original parts. I really don't see much modernization about the car at all, there was no car wide changes... they basically copied the parts for molds they had lost and reused the molds they still had. This is STILL a completely analogue (hand designed on paper) designed car. They made the minimum amount of changes needed to make it stand a chance using and surviving current power systems.

There is a reason people were suggested to buy an entry level car BITD... they did not require as much work assembling them to a decent state.

I concede that finishes on the aluminum parts may at times not be up to par, and manufacturer defects will and do happen... but this car will not go together like a Tamiya unless it is completely redesigned... and then it would not be a re release and likely many parts would not be usable on the original cars.

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Ugh, I lost my entire last post...... Just be thankful parts are available again

If you want everything to fit perfectly buy Lego.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

I don't like the direction Lego is going, too many specialized pieces.

SnoopMaxx
Approved Member

Post by SnoopMaxx »

SteveK wrote:I don't like the direction Lego is going, too many specialized pieces.
:lol: :lol:
Morten Max

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

SteveK wrote:I don't like the direction Lego is going, too many specialized pieces.
At least you don't have to file them to make them fit :mrgreen:
GARBO 1/8

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

SteveK wrote:
badhoopty wrote: cleaning an outdrive and bathing it it lube aint really gonna do jack
Shows what you know; I did just that and it worked a treat.

Actually the cleaning and lube was for the surface rust and the stuff in the teeth of the gears.
shows what i know?

:lol:

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

I think if you enjoy building kits, you will enjoy the RC10 re-release. The other cool thing about the various imperfections is the effort invested to make everything work is rewarded with a more competitive buggy. Call me wierd but I have always enjoyed the build and modifying more than the driving. Don't rush the build, take your time and enjoy it. If done correctly, you will have something you can be proud of, and will also have a competitive race car.

- Limestang

knixdad
Approved Member

Post by knixdad »

Totally agree with you there.
I miss brushed motors in that hazy, everything seemed better when I was a kid, kind of way.

oldschoolrcer

Post by oldschoolrcer »

kink wrote:
At least you don't have to file them to make them fit :mrgreen:
I suppose you think all this was built from parts available at the toy store and no filing or fitting was required either? :lol:

Legoland Florida
Attachments
image.jpg

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

slow_jun wrote:almost forgot this.
It's interesting after all the comments about Chinese quality that most of the problems are to do with the USA made chassis. :lol:

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... I just finished building my RC10 Classic and i had only one issue. That was that both body mount posts were 1/2 inch too short. I just used two longer vintage RC10 ones i had here. Besides that mine went together perfectly. Everything fit snug , no parts missing, all the holes were countersunk and the chassis was straight. Very happy with mine. :)
102 RC vehicles and counting...

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Got any pics of the short body post? Curious what's going on there!

Here is the fitment of an original buggy with the protech body and two aluminum washers
And with four washers and a protech

It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website