My RC10 World's Re-Re Pre-Build Q's

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

Re: My RC10 World's Re-Re Pre-Build Q's

Post by GoMachV »

Yes, that would be fine or you could probably even use the 1/4" adapter on the drill if you have one (where you can quick change bits) and go right onto the slipper nut with it.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Yeah

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Thanks all! I ran it a good while and can see improvement. I greatly appreciate it!

So now...I know how tight the diff nut is will depend on many factors and is not truly set until I have the car set up w/ wheels/tires. But, at this point in the build, when I turn the spur, it only turns itself but does not turn the outdrives. However, when I turn the top shaft via the slipper spring or the nut, the outdrives turn.

Is this normal?
- Jack

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

No. The spur should turn the trans. Something is missing or loose. Take the slipper back apart and make sure the pads are seated properly and the spring should be compressed A bit when you put it back together.

The orange discs are where the slip happens. The spur is keyed to them. If you spin the spur before to change anything, you will probably notice the orange pieces are slipping on the large metal discs.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I watched your video again- I think your outer disc is not slid into the grooves in the shaft. Just take off the outer hub and spin it until it drops onto the flats on the shaft
Factory Works website

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Thanks! Yes, I re-attached everything and it works now. I appreciate the patience. Doing this for the first time puts a lot of self doubt...Plus, I am used the cartoony Tamiya instructions...Gotta love them. :D
- Jack

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Some progress! But still issues w/ the slipper.

I want to thank GoMachV and Sc8p for spending part of their Sunday with me!

Now to the slipper. After GoMachV's hints, I did get the spur to operate correctly but realize the pad was not aligned property so I took it apart. Now I can't get it to work properly. Some pictures:

As you can see, the diff nut is pretty tight but yet my spur is still loose and spinning freely. The hubs seem to be seated properly and the pads seem to be nested within the grooves of the spur gear but yet the nut, washer and spring cannot get tight enough for the spur to turn the gearing. I've tried as evidenced by some stripping (need to get nut drivers instead of using pliers.)

Thoughts?

PS...How the heck do people put the wing tubes in w/o some mechanical help?
- Jack

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I'm not sure exactly what's going on there. Here's mine, as you can see the nut is not on very far and plenty of threads left.
Attachments
IMG_7302.JPG
Factory Works website

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Ok. Thanks. I just think the sandwich between the slipper hubs aren't set properly but I can't seem to figure out exactly what the issue is...Almost like the pads are too slippery or not entirely set within the nesting of the spur but that doesn't seem the case..Very weird. I'll continue to look at it. I just don't want to strip the nut...
- Jack

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Yeah its way too tight in the pic, but if the spring isnt compressing then there is something not right. Id start over, and make sure the pads are in the right spot and the slipper hubs are keying into the shaft correctly.
Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

So, if you spin the topshaft the trans will spin. But if you hold the topshaft you can easily turn the spur?

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

GoMachV wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:07 pm Yeah its way too tight in the pic, but if the spring isnt compressing then there is something not right. Id start over, and make sure the pads are in the right spot and the slipper hubs are keying into the shaft correctly.
OK, will look at it again.
scr8p wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:16 pm So, if you spin the topshaft the trans will spin. But if you hold the topshaft you can easily turn the spur?
If I spin the topshaft, everything spins correctly. If I turn the spur only, nothing else spins. I can hear the friction of it touching the pads but that's it. Topshaft doesn't spin.

I wonder if the spring is too compressed? Could be from my messing w/ it too...
- Jack

howaboutme
Approved Member

Post by howaboutme »

Don't think it's the spring..Here's a video of my spinning it. (Thanks for the tip on embedding videos.)

- Jack

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Wow that's weird. I took mine apart and reassembled with pics. See if you can see things that are different as you follow my pics...
IMG_7306.JPG
IMG_7307.JPG
IMG_7308.JPG
IMG_7310.JPG
IMG_7311.JPG
IMG_7312.JPG
Factory Works website

joey_zrl
Approved Member

Post by joey_zrl »

I may be taking a shot in the dark here, but doesn't one of the slipper hubs have a notch in it so that it "keys" onto the top shaft? I don't remember if both slipper hubs have that key, or only one of them. You might re-check your slipper hubs, and see if one of them has a flat keyed area that locks into the corresponding shape on your top shaft.