Runner project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Runner project

Post by MelvinsArmy »

This car started as a bash together of parts out of my parts boxes. Basically, a huge collection of extras I've kept from the various RC10's I've bought, restored and sold over the past few years.

I've recently added graphite shock towers, Andy's rear arms, and aluminum bell cranks (been looking for pair of those for ages 8) ). It's got an AE graphite chassis, Stealth, AE 05, and original 6010 shocks. I'm going to replace those ugly paint stripped front arms with some RPM arms, and attempt to convert the wheels to 2.2 wheels for more practical use as a runner. Not sure about what to use for electronics yet, not a big deal. I've got a body for it, but I'll wait till it's done to put it on.

I'm going to coat the bottom with AE chassis protector to prevent further scratching (bottom is in pretty decent shape) and cut about 1/8 off the front of the nose so I can make a skid plate out of a spare 6010 aluminum nose. I'll just screw it under the nose like a bumper. 8)

badhoopty
Approved Member

Re: Runner project

Post by badhoopty »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I'm going to coat the bottom with AE chassis protector to prevent further scratching (bottom is in pretty decent shape) and cut about 1/8 off the front of the nose so I can make a skid plate out of a spare 6010 aluminum nose. I'll just screw it under the nose like a bumper. 8)
thats a killer idea dude...

i dont know if it would work with the width of the graphite chassis but you may be able to use the nose brace tubes by getting a set of the rc10gt nose brace tube chassis mounts. that might add just a little more rigidity up front, maybe too much.

jjacobsn
Approved Member

Post by jjacobsn »

Looks good Mel. Is that a Novak Ner2x (or something like that) receiver. I used to have one of those in my original RC10 way back when.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

if you use that chassis protector i would very much recommend you lay something down that covers up most the chassis, thus leaving only the outer edges of the chassis to stick to the protective stuff.

i had to remove that gawd awefull stuff from both a graphite and a tubbed rc10 chassis. it took many many sessions of wd40 and a plastic scraper to get it off.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Yep, that's a NER-2X. I need to take it out and put it in to my 6010 queen, right next to the T-4. They would look good together. I think I may have another one somewhere though.

I've used that chassis protector a lot with no problems. I always use it on the bottom of my cf touring cars. Never had a problem removing it. It's a hard pull, but a clean one. Are you talking about the AE protector Hoopty? I've had nothing but great results from it.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

yea, i'm talking about the ae chassis protector. it could be cause it was on for awhile i guess.

i bought 2 rigs around 5 years ago off ebay from a guy who raced them. one was a graphite team car that i used as a parts donor for my sprint car and the other was a rc10t. both were really well built and hopped up like crazy. got 'em both for around 150 bucks...

maybe it was so hard to get off 'cause it had been on so long. the aluminum rc10t tub wasnt so bad, but it took a couple wd40/scraping sessions. but the graphite was HELLA hard to get off. i couldnt get it to pull off clean at all, it would just come off in little pieces and leave half of the sticky stuff still on the chassis.

hardenedways
Approved Member

Post by hardenedways »

When you say you're going to "convert" the wheels, I assume you mean replace them? I'd hate to see you cut up a pair of vintage wheels. I love the old 3-piecers. Who needs glue? :lol:

Regarding the the chassis protector: I have no experience with anything sold as chassis protector. Why won't a few layers of clear packaging tape or duct tape work?

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

hardenedways wrote:When you say you're going to "convert" the wheels, I assume you mean replace them? I'd hate to see you cut up a pair of vintage wheels. I love the old 3-piecers. Who needs glue? :lol:
No, no, I would never mutilate those wheels. I'm not totally insane. I want to convert to 2.2 wheels and tires. Like try to retro-fit some B3 or B4 wheels and tires onto it. I'll keep the wheels and tires you see as spares or runners for my shelf queen.