7001 RC10T

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

7001 RC10T

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I have been slowly aquiring parts for her, sorry again for the poor pics--all very early parts, thin 2 hole shock towers, paperthin front & rear arms w/o webbing, old stlye ball cups, off center b-stamp chassis, 6122 body (MrLexan's), and new original tires

blown5.0
Approved Member

Re: 7001 RC10T

Post by blown5.0 »

Very nice, love the ones that look like they were just built out of the box.
Were the batteries only meant to be mounted sideways in these early chassis?
Because it looks as though a battery would not fit lengthwise with the offset.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

They fit, just kinda--skewed--, I guess they were in such a hurry to put them out--they messed up on some, Temple has one of these chassis, but I haven't noticed many others

reign79
Approved Member

Post by reign79 »

Sweet stuff thats super querky with the battery box some bright novak stuff in there should look sweet against the black. :mrgreen:
Ryan

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Looks good Reg!
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

That particular version of the B chassis is also shown on the Team Car box and in the manual, although if you look at some of the pictures it shows an A stamp.

Good stuff.
Attachments
A Stealth chassis.JPG

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

And it's because of the details as to why we love temple so much! :mrgreen:
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

Charlie don't surf wrote:They fit, just kinda--skewed--, I guess they were in such a hurry to put them out--they messed up on some, Temple has one of these chassis, but I haven't noticed many others
Was that the official reason from AE/someone from AE or was that just the rumor going around?

First one I ever saw was a Gold Pan on ebay many months ago. It was actually really nice. Very few light scratches and brite white parts. I remember I passed on it because of the offset battery. I thought to myself who would want a flawed chassis! LOL! I must not have been alone because it didn't go for much.

One of those kick yourself in the a$$ moments for not getting it. If I only knew......................

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Up until the Championship gold tub car, all of them were offset because they were all transverse batteries, and the addtional holes were alternate servo mounts--after that they were all center battery. The early "incorrect" black tubs were just an oversight, or production "oops"

BillV

Post by BillV »

Great looking Truck. I just aquired one myself. I'm just starting to dismantle the truck and give it a good cleaning. Can anyone tell me how to get all the white parts super clean and white. I would like to know which cleans to use and which to stay way from.

tizeye
Approved Member

Post by tizeye »

BillV wrote:Great looking Truck. I just aquired one myself. I'm just starting to dismantle the truck and give it a good cleaning. Can anyone tell me how to get all the white parts super clean and white. I would like to know which cleans to use and which to stay way from.
Welcome to our play ground..you could look here http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10999 or use the search function it is a very common question..

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

fastang wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:They fit, just kinda--skewed--, I guess they were in such a hurry to put them out--they messed up on some, Temple has one of these chassis, but I haven't noticed many others
Was that the official reason from AE/someone from AE or was that just the rumor going around?

First one I ever saw was a Gold Pan on ebay many months ago. It was actually really nice. Very few light scratches and brite white parts. I remember I passed on it because of the offset battery. I thought to myself who would want a flawed chassis! LOL! I must not have been alone because it didn't go for much.

One of those kick yourself in the a$$ moments for not getting it. If I only knew......................
I have an original truck from 1991, a 'B' chassis, and the battery cup is offset, and too close. I bought a used truck a few years ago and it has a 'C' chassis, and the battery cup is in the proper location. I don't know when they switched over, I never gave the 'B' and 'C' much thought before this thread.

I don't think it was necessarily a screw up, because stick packs with no end caps fit perfectly, just an old design they left unchanged for too long. It is to allow you to mount the battery in-line, but still leave room for the mechanical speed control on the left side of the chassis. This goes back to the gold chassis, as my LHS told me about it when I got the truck the week they came in.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Anything is possible, but as a former business manager in charge of a sales team--it sounds more like a "good excuse" manufactured by a hobby shop--the MSC was intended to be mounted in the rear of the car/truck, all of the other holes associated with the MSC are there.
I tend to lean towards--immedatly after winning the roar 91 winternats--they "needed" to get these trucks out fast (because who buys the truck that came in last?) and it was just one of those things-after all I isn't off that much.

There are two very different ways of selling/marketing something 1) design-test, redesign-test repeat until perfect--or the shotgun approach (much cheaper/easier) and you redesign as needed (such as the 4 different thicknesses of the suspension arms & towers

Reggie

Daddeo
Approved Member

Post by Daddeo »

Cool truck and very interesting info on them. That truck (you know, that truck with all kinds of trick options ;) ) I got off of ebay a short while back has one of these early "B" chassis with the offset battery cup holes.

Good looking truck by the way!

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Anything is possible, but as a former business manager in charge of a sales team--it sounds more like a "good excuse" manufactured by a hobby shop--the MSC was intended to be mounted in the rear of the car/truck, all of the other holes associated with the MSC are there.
I tend to lean towards--immedatly after winning the roar 91 winternats--they "needed" to get these trucks out fast (because who buys the truck that came in last?) and it was just one of those things-after all I isn't off that much.

There are two very different ways of selling/marketing something 1) design-test, redesign-test repeat until perfect--or the shotgun approach (much cheaper/easier) and you redesign as needed (such as the 4 different thicknesses of the suspension arms & towers

Reggie
The holes were misaligned for years before the RC10T. The shop knew about it because the fields for dirt oval racing at the shop were about 99% RC10s. Looking at the rear bulkhead, it was designed to fit the battery, and the original hand built cars had the battery running down the center. If you look at the holes running down either side of the chassis besides the battery boxes, they fit servos perfectly.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt on the original reason for the battery cup being crooked, but it was definitely a error in judgement to let that carry on into the RC10 Team Car and RC10T; even by 1991 saddle packs were the norm for racers, and all stick packs came with endcaps, and there is no way either would fit with the offset holes. The S&K battery spine came with instructions on how to use the spine as a template to drill new holes.