The Time Machine #1 RC10T #7001 1993, pulled from storage.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bharper

The Time Machine #1 RC10T #7001 1993, pulled from storage.

Post by Bharper »

Hi all, new poster to the RC10talk, love these old pics of trucks, I am 42 now, and seeing these pics made me feel 23 again. I was in collage in 1993, and a class mate said get one of the new RC10T with the new bearings, so I looked at his, and well, lets just say the rent money went to this truck I am posting about now. Ran it in races in 1993 in Co., did O.K., could not afford any updates, had a two year old radio and ESC from a boat project I started, put that in the truck, and smacked a lot of people in front of me, no brakes on my speed controller, and wished for a better controller every day. I have pulled the truck in and out of storage for 19 years, and run it around the road and my property once in a while for the last 17 years. I have no kids, and my nephew came over once, and said what is that? I gave him the controller, said don't HIT any thing, what do you know, a natural. First thing I did was get rid of the MRC ESC, and bought a cheap one that I love. So this Saturday...I know I am running on here, you will all see the pics in a few....I bought him one off of e-bay, a 1991 or 92 truck complete with radio, laughed because it's the same model transmitter I have. Truck has not arrived, I will call mine Time Machine #1, and his #2. I have tons of questions, and will keep this post alive with questions. I do not want to upgrade Batteries / ESC to brushless this year, want to see if we get board, so keeping both stock, YES WHITE!, and week arms I know, but who knew that is a cool look today 19 years latter.

I have the x20 pics below in a post...
Buckaroo Banzai: Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

jayman24
Approved Member

Re: The Time Machine #1 RC10T #7001 1993, pulled from storag

Post by jayman24 »

Looks good! Post some shots with the body on it. Good much with it!

jayman24
Approved Member

Post by jayman24 »

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Bharper

Post by Bharper »

Will get the pics of body soon jayman24, and thanks for the welcome.

Being that I want to spend little money this first year on this projects http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=26161

1. Transmissions, should I tear them down, and clean or run them till they break? #1 is stealth tranny, not sure of #2, check link above, I am not running very power low turn motors, matter of fact….
2. How can you tell the turns on a motor?
3. Servo mounts, one truck I have is like glued in, the other I have double side tape, should I use the mounting holes that are on the tubs, there are like 4 holes?
4. Parts are going to be e-bay, I have not gotten a chance to look at local hobby shops, any one here ever donate the weaker type white parts, let me know.
5. Always wanted to know about why most places band the smaller tires that came with the trucks? Never used them, so not sure how they run?
6. Since it’s just me and nephew running, I have same radios, one is 88 MHz, what crystal should I put in the second one, how many gaps in spectrum should I run from 88?
7. Should I use for transmitters the full new AA’s or can I use NiMH’s? The Ones I have are twins, x2 channel Futaba Magnum Sport FP-T2PB with output meter. I know 1.2 vs. 1.5 so; the transmitter will be low on power, what are your thoughts? Full meal deal right?
Buckaroo Banzai: Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

jayman24
Approved Member

Post by jayman24 »

I would clean and inspect the transmissions, and rebuild differentials. I dont know what the second transmission is, I cant see it in the pictures.
Batteries, use new AA's. Or rechargeable AA's.
Servo mounts, If your not worried about it being 100% stock leave it the way it is. As long as it functions properly.
Tx crystals, I dont really know too much about that. If one truck is set up with 88 and the other 75 you should be fine.

AndrewSi
Approved Member

Post by AndrewSi »

Nice trucks! The second one has a stealth trans, you can see it in the first pic. All 10t's came with stealth transmissions from the factory

jayman24
Approved Member

Post by jayman24 »

I probably should have told him that, I'm so scatterbrained.

Bharper

Post by Bharper »

Both trucks I have posted in the Gallery section, had them discrete, but like how moderator combined them.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=26161

jayman24
Approved Member

Post by jayman24 »

The both of them are nice rigs!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Bharper wrote:Will get the pics of body soon jayman24, and thanks for the welcome.

Being that I want to spend little money this first year on this projects #1 > http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=26167 and #2 > http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=26161

1. Transmissions, should I tear them down, and clean or run them till they break? #1 is stealth tranny, not sure of #2, check link above, I am not running very power low turn motors, matter of fact…. Yeah, a quick teardown and inspection plus a diff rebuild would be at the top pf my list
2. How can you tell the turns on a motor? Brushed motor? depends on stock or mod
3. Servo mounts, one truck I have is like glued in, the other I have double side tape, should I use the mounting holes that are on the tubs, there are like 4 holes? Yep, servo mounts are the most reliable
4. Parts are going to be e-bay, I have not gotten a chance to look at local hobby shops, any one here ever donate the weaker type white parts, let me know.
5. Always wanted to know about why most places band the smaller tires that came with the trucks? Never used them, so not sure how they run? They didn't have the "look" of stadium trucks BITD so they banned them. They ran great6. Since it’s just me and nephew running, I have same radios, one is 88 MHz, what crystal should I put in the second one, how many gaps in spectrum should I run from 88? Gaps? you can't choose anything on spectrum. it's fine to run them together as they are completely different anyway7. Should I use for transmitters the full new AA’s or can I use NiMH’s? The Ones I have are twins, x2 channel Futaba Magnum Sport FP-T2PB with output meter. I know 1.2 vs. 1.5 so; the transmitter will be low on power, what are your thoughts? Full meal deal right?

jayman24
Approved Member

Post by jayman24 »

Don't know if you have ever rebuilt a differential in one of those trucks, but its not hard at all. Just make sure when you do it you have a lot of light and a big pan underneath where your working, those diff balls are really small. Drop one and before you know it it'll be on the other side of oblivion.

Bharper

Post by Bharper »

How can I tell from a picture, if a transmission has bearings or bushings? My case of time machine #1, I know it's bearings, cause I bought and built it in 1993. Time machine #2 I bought from e-bay has not arrived, and the seller forgot. Thanks for the advise on rebuilds, don't want to lose stuff.

Bharper

Post by Bharper »

O.K. who knew, being out of the game for so long (19 years), that batteries went though at least 4 different types after old NiCd.

Lithium Ferrite Phosphate
Lithium Polymer
NiMHs,

I bought a Radient ASCEND RDNA0002 changer that charges all 4 types, (Diffrent Leads for the types of batteries is nice) and an 1800 mh NiMHs battery today, I got tired before the battery died in the truck!!!! that's never happened. Remember, I do not want to tear up that old white transmission.

MAN this 19 year old truck, is FUN AGAIN, running NiMH, and run times are LONG....so is charge times. :lol:

I'm still waiting on my e-bay 2nd RC10T, will post my tear down of transmission on 1st RC10T once I find gears / bearings.

Oh Why Oh Why am I running brushed stuff, I want a NEW TRUCK, darn hobbie.

Bharper

Post by Bharper »

Update, my 8 year old neufew, came over. I had my blue truck ready and charge, and let him play it, while behind him, I had his truck out, and waiting on him when, he turned around, he said "Holy Crap". His is the green one, see link below. WE had a blast, let me repeat, WE HAD A BLAST!, and did not break a thing!!!. My plan of buying up all old parts before play day, did work, received a bunch of old WHITE parts the week before the day.

Post about old parts.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26278

Both trucks pics are here.
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=26161

My charger, from the above post, well, charges x1 battery, and we want to PLAY, and not wait for charging, and I did not want to buy another $30 or $60 charger. Picked up this Hitec x4 charger, and will be selling the above post charger for 1/2 of what I paid.

New charger below.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/chargers-setup-equipment/x4-multi-charger.html

Just keeping everyone up to date.

Bharper

Post by Bharper »

HA HA HA :lol: O.K. 1. New Motor, 2. Night, 3. Too many beers. 4. There is a car parked THERE now? =

across the street guy used to park his car in his drive way, not tonight, missed it 17 times, but not the 18th. Parts on order, will be a set of black Team Associated, I will replace with white ones again as they come up from e-bay. Or look at RPM.
Attachments
2012-04-17_14-55-39_138-2.jpg
2012-04-17_14-55-39_138-2.jpg (20.13 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
2012-04-17_14-55-39_138-2.jpg
2012-04-17_14-55-39_138-2.jpg (20.13 KiB) Viewed 3305 times