B3 Vintage?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

zjrog

B3 Vintage?

Post by zjrog »

Front lower control arms are really hard to come by... While waiting for my RC10B4.1 Brushless to arrive, I bought a Thunder Tiger Phoenix BXII buggy. I figured for the price, if it was junk, the ESC and radio included could be used in some of my other cars. Well, then I found out its really a re-issued Associated B3 buggy... But probably a cheapy version.

Took the BX2 and my shiny new B4.1 to the track yesterday, broke the left front lower control arm on the Phoenix, and the front shock tower on the B4.1. Hobby shop at the track didn't have B3 parts at all, but had the shock tower.

Trying to find a really good source for the B3 parts. Thunder Tiger is our of stock on the control arms right now. RPM lists the arms, but they are discontinued. Tower doesn't have them, Hobby People shows them on order (but I can get the graphite ones easily enough!)...

I haven't removed any parts yet, but I wonder if the B4 arms could fit the BX2? I know they aren't the same but, I want economical replacements where possible. I already have one Vintage project (Traxxas Hawk 2), I don't really need another if I can help it.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Re: B3 Vintage?

Post by PBR Allstar »

dynotech makes machined nylon arms that will fit a B3, I run them on one of my oval cars.

Front:
http://dynotech-racing.com/partDetail.php?RefNum=2999-4

They make a nice rear too:
http://dynotech-racing.com/partDetail.php?RefNum=2107

zjrog

Post by zjrog »

How will those arms handle offroad tracks and jumps?

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

They will be the last parts on your car to ever break, they are machined, and really beefy. Lots of guys use dynotech arms on their Old-New RC10's
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I know my Dynotech Delrin arms took a beating on my RC-10 at the VONATS. I started to feel bad having to have my car flipped back over. :oops:

zjrog

Post by zjrog »

I'll keep the Dynotech parts in mind. I just got back from my favorite hobby shop in Salt Lake City and they had the B3 arms I needed. And though I bought the last ones, they are getting more soon and have a bunch of other B3 parts on hand. I think I will go back later and grab front and rear arms and shock towers. Just to have on hand. This Phoenix buggy is meant to be my basher, though it might hit the track at times.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'm pretty sure the dynotech front arms are shorter, and swept back harder than the stock b3 arms.

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

zjrog

Post by zjrog »

Don't want graphite... Regular ones are on order too... But, I got some already from my local shop... Thanks!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

scr8p wrote:i'm pretty sure the dynotech front arms are shorter, and swept back harder than the stock b3 arms.
The dynotech are the same as the RPM B2 carpet arms ( don't even bother trying to find any) But the B3 RPM arms are easy to find

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

zjrog wrote:Don't want graphite... Regular ones are on order too... But, I got some already from my local shop... Thanks!
B3's don't have the same problem as B4's with the brittleness of graphite arms, i've never broken one.
They sort of have a flexible front end, if you force one arm back it 'parallelograms' the whole front bulkhead pulling the arm on the other side forward so the bulkhead absorbs the impact.

torrnado_firemagikk

Post by torrnado_firemagikk »

have you tried www.rcboyz.com?

Konich
Approved Member

Post by Konich »

I got almost a new B3 from RCboyz on e-bay just because of the amount of parts they still have.

zjrog

Post by zjrog »

Have to check RC Boyz...

Anyone ever fit SC10 short course wheels and tires on a B3?