NIB RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rcguy5
Approved Member

NIB RC10

Post by rcguy5 »

Hey Guys,

I know a lot of you have one or more of these kits in this condition but I just could not resist, I had to show mine off. I just don't know what to do with it at the moment. I do plan to build it and finish the body in boxart and then of course it will be a shelf model. What I can't decide is weather to unwrap it and cut the seal now as I am anxious or wait until I do the build which will be months or longer?

I picked it up off a guy in Michigan and it has a price tag on it with "RIDER'S" in the middle. It is a hobby shop chain in MI and I actually contacted them about the seven numbers on the top of the price tag and they told me the first four numbers are the date (March 87')

Here's the pics.
Attachments
DSC02348.JPG
DSC02347.JPG
DSC02346.JPG
DSC02345.JPG

SteveK
Approved Member

Re: NIB RC10

Post by SteveK »

Worth a ton sealed, so wait until you're ready to build it.

CPL_Guimonster

Post by CPL_Guimonster »

check out ebay.sealed in box=$$$$
I would find a rc10 in good shape and either get a third as a runner,or stick with the two shelf queens.A clean rc10 with the mint UN-Opened box in background would be a great display!saw a "shelf queen"auctioned recently.Been kicking myself for not bidding higher.got burned on a so-called"nice rc10".car is hammered,tires bald,front end JB-welded.screws are razor sharp from the beatings.Only useable part is the pan,and that had to be welded and stripped of the gold anodizing.But this is my platform for Project:X-10A, Custom Titanium stiftners,hand made aluminum 4" wing,and brushless motor.I do have some parts that are in good shape and I will make a shelf queen.But to have an un assembled '10,that is a shelf queen all on its own.IMHO.
Project:X-10A
RC10T (1st Generation)
RC10L
AX10

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

SteveK wrote:Worth a ton sealed, so wait until you're ready to build it.
I don't know that you could say "worth a ton", it's worth more sealed, but in an honest auction without a mark and a shill, it's a reasonable or decent price. Not knocking that kit, but it's not an early kit, and without it being open, there is no real way to know what's in there ( I bought a SNIB 6036 Graphite team car from ebay to find it re-wrapped and full of newspaper and parts )

If you want to build it and shelve it, then have a blast doing it :wink: I say open her up

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
I don't know that you could say "worth a ton", it's worth more sealed, but in an honest auction without a mark and a shill, it's a reasonable or decent price. Not knocking that kit, but it's not an early kit, and without it being open, there is no real way to know what's in there ( I bought a SNIB 6036 Graphite team car from ebay to find it re-wrapped and full of newspaper and parts )

If you want to build it and shelve it, then have a blast doing it :wink: I say open her up
"No one questions shrink wrap." -Hotel For Dogs :oops: (I took my daughter).
It's funny you posted this because I wondered if anyone ever produced those sealed kit stickers. I'd just like to have a few to decorate some shells I have. :idea: I'm not implying that the kit is a fake at all. Reg's post just reminded me of that line...
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

ask customs at the airport to throw her through the xray for you :wink: a six pack of beer works wonders :mrgreen:

rcguy5
Approved Member

Post by rcguy5 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:

I agree with the kit being worth a reasonable amount. It's not an early one and it is not the bearing version. I definitely plan to build it so I may just unwrap it and cut the seal, I am pretty sure the wrap is original. When and if I do I will post pics of it opened up. I won't open the bags inside until I actually do the build.

I am just happy to have gotten the original RC10 wrapped and sealed NIB as if I bought it new 23 years ago.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

VERY COOL rcguy the opening will be awesome.
:mrgreen:

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

marui hunter 73 wrote:ask customs at the airport to throw her through the xray for you :wink: a six pack of beer works wonders :mrgreen:
I have heard this can sometimes be an issue with rare plastic models; a guy spends $100+ on a shrink wrapped model from the 60s, opens it up and finds some random kit in there, or worse some parts trees. One of the ways to tell was that the older shrink wrap was more plastic and brittle, while the newer stuff is stretchier. If you planned to build it, you should make the guy open it up first.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

( I bought a SNIB 6036 Graphite team car from ebay to find it re-wrapped and full of newspaper and parts )
Hey Reggie,
So what did you do? And should you be giving us a heads up on the seller or is he long gone?
Thanks,
Brian

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

This was in 2004, long before I had an outlet to let anyone know who and what- I just know that I buy opened ones only now unless I know the person, and for example I have a Nitro DS Racer that was factory sealed, and shrink wrapped but had a price sticker under the wrap, so I opened it to find it all square, but no stickers :?: I know it was nothing fishy with the seller, because it is the 4th SNIB kit that I have purchased from him and was likely the LHS ( no biggie anyway ) :wink:

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

In some cases ive seen them shipped back from hobby store to associated. they put in what was missing or used out of a box since wont in stock and they reshrink wrapped them.Probably forgot the decals.Don

rcguy5
Approved Member

Post by rcguy5 »

Hey Guys,

I had to do it, I took off the shrink wrap, carefully cut the seal and light is now shinning on the inside of this box after 23 years plus.

I know some of you will be heartbroken but this was my intention even before I got a NIB kit. I promise it will be built and finished in boxart only for display. It won't be anytime soon but I will revive this thread when it does get built.

Mike
Attachments
DSC02356.JPG
DSC02353.JPG
DSC02354.JPG
DSC02352.JPG

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I cant blame you I would have to. I have a Autographed Losi XXX BK2 I am going to build it one day.
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I would have opened it as well. For me it would bring much more joy having the buggy sitting on display than the box would.