Edinger Rc10 NIB: Great find and buy arrived!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Edinger Rc10 NIB: Great find and buy arrived!

Post by Ruffy »

Got lucky!
I found and purchased a new in box (unassembled) either early to mid-edinger #6016 kit full bearing. The box (ROAR / ORRCA) is even brand new condition and has the writing stamped on both sides very clearly (no box labels).
According to previous owner, he purchased this and put it into a storage-bin inside a closet around 20 years ago and at the time did not have the money to buying a remote, charger or battery for it and he just never got around to building it. Eventually he says he forgot all about it, when he and his wife had their 1st, 2nd and 3rd child until he just started to clean out his very old stuff for garage sales and opened the storage bin up and there it was.
The Box has the writing stamped on either side, so tonight I plan on opening it up and taking pictures that I will post here.
This is my second still NIB original RC10, the other one is a Cadillac.
:D

flipwils11
Approved Member

Re: Edinger Rc10 NIB: Great find and buy arrived!

Post by flipwils11 »

Jeez, how did you find this? Was it on ebay? Looking forward to pictures.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

had i known about it, and had the money buy it, i would have definately bought it, too. but aren't you getting a little bored with gold tubs yet? :lol:

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Notified via a friend, and a lot of luck it did not go to a garage sale or flea market.
The kit arrived today and I have yet to take pictures of everything, because I also received this afternoon, Tim's (liquorboxracing's) Box-Art "Boxter" project car with a box full of items. Both boxes state ROAR and ORRCA but this NIB kit is like new and has the stamped text on both sides instead of the glued on labels.

Just for some quick information, it's better than I thought! I opened the NIB kit and the chassis, nose and shocks are all the very light gold anodizing (like my Curtis Edinger RC10). Some things I noticed right away, is it came with the early rare diamond wing buttons in with the wing, the rear wheel wing nuts (not the knock-offs), transmission spine bag has the upper and lower pivot E-clips (no nut), early parma style speed control wipers, earliest hard clear differential cover, early cut-style shock towers, early ball cups, early tires (read below), early brand new manuals, AE stickers, servo tape and Edinger stated on everything like the bearing kit & motor and also everywhere in the manuals. The most striking thing to me is the very light gold brand new anodized parts.

The things it did not come with that would have made it an "earliest-style" RC10 like my Curtis Edinger are the shock pistons are two-hole type instead of the notch, spring cups are solid without a cut but are like the cadillac style, servo saver is like the cadillac style, no fiberglass battery straps, and the tires are the front two rib round edge type with no writing on sidewalls, the rear tires have no writing on the sides and look like an early dogfighter style of tire, where the tire carcass is a rounder profile than normal.

Overall I am extremely happy with this kit and look forward to having a great photoshoot with it for you all.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

{quote} aren't you getting a little bored with gold tubs yet?{quote}

Naw, Its actually the only thing I am interested in collecting...Gold Tubs cars. Earlier the better. :D
I honestly have never had an inkling to collect anything else than these early gold tubs, because it is what I started and ended with. Heck a bunch of us Associated Team Drivers used to even run gold tub cars at big races (Matt Francis, JD Beckwith, Brad Reelfs, Derek Furatani, Scott Hughes, myself and a few others) from time to time because we liked it more than the black chassis ones or the world's cars. It wasn't until the B2/B3 that suddenly everyone was on the same sheet of paper.
So this is why you won't see me buying, collecting or admiring much of anything else RC car wise. The old original RC10 just does it all for me, and nothing else.
Heck we have been running at this new huge indoor track that was just made in Florida (big enough that they also run 1/8th electric and nitro too) and my gold tub Rc10 with gold shocks can run the same laptimes as the B4 in the hands of Jeff's fast kids. I still prefer to run it box stock, except for the new tires glued to the old 2.19 and 2.2 rims, but other than that she's stock. No need to improve the car, it's all setup and driving.

The RC Asylum
track.jpg
ccc.jpg
[youtube]TyhdvkEq9hE[/youtube]

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

wow that track looks very nice, reminds me of my racing days @ mnm hobbies in corona ca back in 96

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I would be like the driver of that short course truck. :lol:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Ruffy wrote:Notified via a friend, and a lot of luck it did not go to a garage sale or flea market.
The kit arrived today and I have yet to take pictures of everything, because I also received this afternoon, Tim's (liquorboxracing's) Box-Art "Boxter" project car with a box full of items. Both boxes state ROAR and ORRCA but this NIB kit is like new and has the stamped text on both sides instead of the glued on labels.

Just for some quick information, it's better than I thought! I opened the NIB kit and the chassis, nose and shocks are all the very light gold anodizing (like my Curtis Edinger RC10). Some things I noticed right away, is it came with the early rare diamond wing buttons in with the wing, the rear wheel wing nuts (not the knock-offs), transmission spine bag has the upper and lower pivot E-clips (no nut), early parma style speed control wipers, earliest hard clear differential cover, early cut-style shock towers, early ball cups, early tires (read below), early brand new manuals, AE stickers, servo tape and Edinger stated on everything like the bearing kit & motor and also everywhere in the manuals. The most striking thing to me is the very light gold brand new anodized parts.

The things it did not come with that would have made it an "earliest-style" RC10 like my Curtis Edinger are the shock pistons are two-hole type instead of the notch, spring cups are solid without a cut but are like the cadillac style, servo saver is like the cadillac style, no fiberglass battery straps, and the tires are the front two rib round edge type with no writing on sidewalls, the rear tires have no writing on the sides and look like an early dogfighter style of tire, where the tire carcass is a rounder profile than normal.

Overall I am extremely happy with this kit and look forward to having a great photoshoot with it for you all.
So it's like the middle one? what gear cover did it have?
aaa 6010 001.jpg
Nice find

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

it's earlier than my old one. he said it has the diamond wing buttons, that one didn't. aswell as the gear drive pivot. mine had the nut, not the clip. if you look in the box, there's actually a piece of paper about 1" x 5" that says something about it.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

The kit isn't like that middle one, except for the front tires are just like that. The rear tires are something different.
Things like the chassis, nose, shocks and motorplate are all the very light gold ano like on my Curtis Edinger (I held them side by side and they are identical in the light gold ano).
The diff cover is like the Curtis Edinger too (pictured below), it's the hard clear earliest diff cover they first put into the kits.
105.jpg
It appears to me, that this kit is one assembled into the box just as they were switching from the 7 rib fronts to the two rib fronts, as it has the diamond wing buttons in the wing bag, early hard clear diff cover in the transmission bag, transmission spine with two large e-clips, wing nuts in the rear suspension bag to hold the rear wheels onto the axle with and the early parma style speed control wipers as well.
Everything points to a very early Rc10 Edinger kit that is NIB, except for things like the shock pistons.

Update:
Found a pic of what the rear tire kinda looks like below, except it doesn't have any writing on it, but the general look/profile of the tire looks kind of like this:
yokomo tire.jpg
yokomo tire.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
yokomo tire.jpg
yokomo tire.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
yokomo tire2.jpg
I will post pics after this weekend as I just haven't had the time since before I got both of my latest cars in.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Sounds like a early transition car! I'm looking forward to the pictures. You sure are lucky Ruffy!

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Congas Ruffy this is awesome, I think i know how exited you get with these gold tubes because you cant stop talking about them :lol: , I am happy for you.

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Man you are going at it with the early kits. I am glad you are able to find these. I know how hard they are to find and you seem to be doing quite well in your searches.

I am also glad you are going to open the box. Can't wait to see the pics.

Jake

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Finding such a kit sounds like the stuff of dreams! Can't wait to see your pictures 8)

I think your outlook.. one track obsession for the gold pan buggy, is rather refreshing - I know that my downfall is that I can't help but be interested in all the different marques & models - I wonder if it is because, all those cars that I 'hanker' after now.... Schumacher CATs, Kyosho Optimas, Yokomos, Losi etc etc are all those cars that I read about in magazines or saw being raced by the 'top' guys at the local club in my early days of R/C racing, but were all cars I couldn't afford back then... but can now. In fact I don't own any of the cars that I owned in these early years of R/C racing.

Ruffy - I guess your continued success with the RC10 pretty much throughout your R/C racing career mean't that there was nothing 'greener' to look over the fence at... you didn't have the desire to own anything different then, so you don't now! It must also be a car that brings back such happy memories during your time racing it :?:

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

DerbyDan you have hit the nail on the head with this statement
"Ruffy - I guess your continued success with the RC10 pretty much throughout your R/C racing career mean't that there was nothing 'greener' to look over the fence at... you didn't have the desire to own anything different then, so you don't now! It must also be a car that brings back such happy memories during your time racing it"

This is not to say I didn't have any actual experience with all of the other race cars, where in fact I do and I bet many would be very surprised as to the extent. I mean think about it, what better way to know the strengths and weakness' of your opponents than hands-on?! :P But to keep the story short and sweet, I just never found myself wanting anything more than a basic unmodified RC10 and some fine tuning from years of experience.