front body mount: where to put it?

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

zoomzoombang
Approved Member

front body mount: where to put it?

Post by zoomzoombang »

stupid question. I see some cars with the front body mount fitted to the nose plate while others like the one in the World's car manual is fitted on to the steering mount. Is it just a preference thing or some kind of philosophy behind it?
FYI, in the process of cleaning and reassembling a Worlds car and found this (strange to me) placement of front body mount. If I go with the nose plate position, will I need a new body mount (shorter/longer) too or will the stock one fit? Also trying to look for green Al screws (8/32 x 1/4 and 8/32 x 7/8) am I sol or are they still available. Thanks.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: front body mount: where to put it?

Post by Charlie don't surf »

It's a preference thing, drivers BITD did either one, but the bellcrank mounted one is easier to make in the body. But, the worlds car RCPS Turbo Mirage needs to be trimmed in a funny way up front
to use the nose mounted body mount, I would use the other one. And those screws can still be found today, but they are more gold in color than the originals-

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

Post by realoldschooldude »

I don't know for sure, but once they invented sticky-back Velcro, I pretty much did away with using the stock body mounts to save weight. A lot of others did likewise.
There's a guy on eBay that's selling alloy screw kits in different colors, and his ad said he'd do custom colors. You might look him up.
ImageImage

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Lots of us hated the angled nose mounts because a) it was a pain to find an accurate place to put a hole on an angled body post, and b) well, because of "a" it usually gave you a 1" long hole in the nose of the body as you randomly searched for the proper location of the hole.

I saw lots of guys use the steering post as a body post location out of ease and convenience. A few others used Lexan flaps taped to the nose with Velcro and many just used Velcro down the sides of the tub (me). Whatever works for you is what you should do, there's no black science to it.

dc

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

Eau Rouge wrote:...A few others used Lexan flaps taped to the nose with Velcro and many just used Velcro down the sides of the tub....
That's precisely what I did - I glued down the "lexan flap" using shoegoo - and even after we started using CF plate chassis', I was able to get thin pieces of angled cf to mount to the sides of the chassis and attach velcro to secure the body. 8)
ImageImage

zoomzoombang
Approved Member

Post by zoomzoombang »

thanks everyone. It's been so long since I've had a buggy that I totally forgot about using velcro (doh + smacks hand against forehead). Time to shop for the 1/2" and 1/4" screws then.

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

zoomzoombang wrote:thanks everyone. It's been so long since I've had a buggy that I totally forgot about using velcro (doh + smacks hand against forehead). Time to shop for the 1/2" and 1/4" screws then.
Here's a link for the guy on eBay who makes screw kits, different colors -
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-RC10-red-anodized-aluminum-screw-nut-kit-/300487548245?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f6741d55
ImageImage

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

I've had good service from Fastener Express.

http://www.fastener-express.com/blue-anodized-aluminum-fasteners-for-your-rc10-car.aspx

A little cheaper
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

zoomzoombang
Approved Member

Post by zoomzoombang »

thanks to all for suggesting where to get screws. Well, a harlequin mammoth fell out of the sky and hit me on my noggins yesterday, made me realize that I've seen that shade of green screw somewhere before. So after some digging I found a brand new 1/2" one in one of the spares box and proceeded to cannibalize another one from my 12L3 front body mount. All told, three 1/2" screws. Sorted! The one in the middle sticks out but I can live with that. :D