Rebuilding a RC10 Graphite

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

hookedtarpon

Rebuilding a RC10 Graphite

Post by hookedtarpon »

I Have Had A RC10 Graphite Since 1990 Or 1991.Everything works In It Runs Great. Just Checking To See If I Can Upgrade The Motor To A bushless And Witch One Would Fit. And I Like To Up Grade The Electronics In It What Would Be Good Upgrades That Will Fit In It. Even If I Can Not Upgrade To Brushless I still Like To Upgrade The Electronics And The Motor I Have A Green Machine 2 In It. Could I Put A Orion Billit v2 Element 19t Spec Mod Brushed Motor or a Orion 22022 Orbital 2r pro bb 11t Tpl Motor
Thanks
Attachments
RC10 4.JPG
RC10 2.JPG
RC10 3.JPG
RC10 5.JPG
RC10 1.JPG

CamplinP
Approved Member

Re: Rebuilding a RC10 Graphite

Post by CamplinP »

Welcome. All the 1/10 brushless motors will fit. You have the six gear transmission which will not hold up very long with a hot brushless. I think if you use a 4600kv motor or lower you should be OK. Most new brushless ESC's have a start limit or initial torque limiting feature. Reducing the initial torque will greatly help the longevity of your transmission. These cars don't handle worth a crap with the front wheels in the air anyway. :)
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

I personally think you have a great looking graphite car there and would take the money you were going to spend on a brushless system and get a cheap runner off ebay. Clean this one up and enjoy it with a nice 27t for leisurely memorable drives in the park. IMHO :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

pattywagon34
Approved Member

Post by pattywagon34 »

ive always want to take a sheet of graphite and cut a flat chassis , and screw on the front nose plate of an rc10. i never seen one ,but im sure some one has done it. i think itd be the ultimate fix for a wrecked graphite rc10

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

Post by realoldschooldude »

I don't know why people insist on saying the old rigs can't handle brushless power. Back in the day we ran hot motors with the 6-gear trannies, so unless you go nuts and try and drop one of the super high-powered BL motors into it you won't have any more problems running a 10.5T BL motor than you would installing a 19T brushed motor in it. There ARE plenty of lower-powered BL options available, that will offer all the low-maintenance advantages of BL systems while still allowing you to upgrade the electronics to something more current.
ImageImage

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

realoldschooldude wrote:I don't know why people insist on saying the old rigs can't handle brushless power. Back in the day we ran hot motors with the 6-gear trannies,
Who said anything about not handeling a brushless here ???

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

drbelleville wrote:
realoldschooldude wrote:I don't know why people insist on saying the old rigs can't handle brushless power. Back in the day we ran hot motors with the 6-gear trannies,
Second poster pretty much said it, as well as the one that suggested keeping a leisurely 27T stock motor in it. I've seen it other places as well.

Just sayin' :wink:
ImageImage

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

pattywagon34 wrote:ive always want to take a sheet of graphite and cut a flat chassis , and screw on the front nose plate of an rc10. i never seen one ,but im sure some one has done it. i think itd be the ultimate fix for a wrecked graphite rc10
We did it "back in the day." :)
ImageImage

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I raced mine back in the day with hot motors, and needed to replace the idler gears often.

Sure it will run for a while, but if you really want to run a brushless motor I suggest installing a stealth transmission. You can find them used for around $30.00 on the bay.

ED

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

realoldschooldude wrote:
drbelleville wrote:
Second poster pretty much said it, as well as the one that suggested keeping a leisurely 27T stock motor in it. I've seen it other places as well.

Just sayin' :wink:
I was talking more about conserving the overall condition of this particular RC10. Not that it wouldn't handle the power, but more in relation to the severity of and likelihood of crashes. If you want to go with really big power maybe put it in a model in lesser condition. I think that one would clean up great and one extreme speed crash could change that immensely. And yes a 2200kv or 17.5 brushless would be great for cruises in the park. Everyone gets the urge for some insane speed at some point. It's best to do it and get it out of your system, but I'd hate to see someone trash a good looking piece in the process. Get a cheap beater and rag the hell out of it... :twisted: :wink:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

hookedtarpon

Post by hookedtarpon »

What Would Be A Good 27T Brand To Run In It.What Can I Use To Clean It Up With. I have Another RC10 It Looks Like The RC10 Gold But Instead Of Gold It Is Black It Has Never Been Ran It Has A Steel Transmission Caseing. What Model Is This,Is It A Good Model Or A Junk Model? Witch Model Is Worth More? I Took It To The Hobby Shop To Get A Speed Controll Put In It And I Had Two Ventage Servos Made By Novak And One Made By Futaba I'm Not Sure Witch One He Will Put In.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

hookedtarpon wrote:What Would Be A Good 27T Brand To Run In It
Any brand you can find is fine really. The market is considerably depleted due to the ease and reliability of brushless. The Orion that you mentioned above would be fine also. Sorry, your thread sort of went astray. To answer your question, yes, pretty much any brushless system would fit fine. What will you be doing with the car and what type of area will you be running in? That may help for more specific answers. :D
Ken

realoldschooldude
Approved Member

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: I was talking more about conserving the overall condition of this particular RC10. Not that it wouldn't handle the power, but more in relation to the severity of and likelihood of crashes.
OK, but I was considering the fact the OP had owned the particular vehicle for 20 years and could drive and he hadn't destroyed it back in the day. The early RC10s were pretty bulletproof, not like they were some plastic tamiya cars or anything. I was talking about that people try to infer that the cars couldn't handle it, whether it be the trannies or the inevitable crashes. ;)

If you're that worried about it, shelf it. :D
ImageImage

hookedtarpon

Post by hookedtarpon »

I have Another RC10 It Looks Like The RC10 Gold But Instead Of Gold It Is Black It Has Never Been Ran It Has A Steel Transmission Caseing. What Model Is This,Is It A Good Model Or A Junk Model? Witch Model Is Worth More? I Took It To The Hobby Shop To Get A Speed Controll Put In It And I Had Two Ventage Servos Made By Novak And One Made By Futaba I'm Not Sure Witch One He Will Put In. I Will Put Up Pics When I Get It Back

Thanks For Everyones Help

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Pics would be a big help, post 'em up!