The Future of Vintage 2wd Racing? (Rant)

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tommy911t
Approved Member

The Future of Vintage 2wd Racing? (Rant)

Post by tommy911t »

With all the development and possibilities of mid mounted motors, will rear mounted motor layouts be the good ol days?
Designers are PUTTING WEIGHT IN where they want it, is the future of all this a perfectly balanced 2wd buggy?
Is driving skills and style able(to a point) to make up for design?
I'm just excited about the possibilities of all this and have to thank all the companies for continuing to make development fun.
In 20 years, I'd love to show up with a rear mounted motor layout and show em how to lay down the power exiting a turn.
Drivers,
Less than five... Go OnTheTone
onthetone.blogspot.com

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: The Future of Vintage 2wd Racing? (Rant)

Post by Coelacanth »

"The Future of Vintage". Hmm, you just coined a new phrase! 8)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

tucker330
Approved Member

Post by tucker330 »

"Nostalgia is not what is used to be."

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

tommy911t wrote:With all the development and possibilities of mid mounted motors, will rear mounted motor layouts be the good ol days?
Designers are PUTTING WEIGHT IN where they want it, is the future of all this a perfectly balanced 2wd buggy?
Is driving skills and style able(to a point) to make up for design?
I'm just excited about the possibilities of all this and have to thank all the companies for continuing to make development fun.
In 20 years, I'd love to show up with a rear mounted motor layout and show em how to lay down the power exiting a turn.
I agree that weight is a relatively non-issue with today's power, but I think that the free weight/traction that motors provide will always make the very rear a popular choice among 2wd. I'd be happy with any sort of 2wd buggy racing 'round here though... :roll:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

don't worry - mid- or rear- motor, added weights or not, it's still 2wd and still waaaaay overpowered esp. as everyone's dropping sick mills in there. It'll still be the elite skillz class vs. 4wd, let alone SC :mrgreen: (going to make a few friends with this one).

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

airbats801
Approved Member

Post by airbats801 »

pretty soon there will eb traction control and stability control on rc cars, just like the newer race cars. Taking away from driver skill and letting the car do the work. end rant... I really can see that with all this brushless stuff going on. I just dont wanna mess with it as im still having fun with my old ancient brushed cars n trucks.
2x rc10 A stamped, rc10t, rc18t, 3x rc10gt tamiya stuff - fox, lunchbox re-release, Custom chevy clod crawler, cc-01 pajero, 2x cc-01, kt full option, and 3 HL tanks. Looking for a rc250 and rc500

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

For me vintage 2WD racing isn't only about the cars but also about the drivers. I remember back in the day you'd have a couple or even a few cars that were all comparable in performance and had equally capable drivers and watching them battle was fun. You'd see patience and strategy. One person would wait for the right time to pass or would wait for the other to make a mistake. Of course you had the occassional wreck as well.

Today I see people that bully their way around the track. The faster cars will tail the slower ones and wait until that car is about to hit a jump and then they'll ram them to send them out of control over the jump, purposely trying to take the car out of the race entirely. You'll see them not worry about a good line through a curve but rather slam into a car ahead of them to bounce their way through the curve and mess the other up. It seems to be all about bragging rights as the logic is the first across the finish line is the best driver when this isn't necessarily anywhere near the truth.

You'll see people out during practice sessions where you may find 1/10 and 1/8 scale cars running at the same time. Some of the 1/8th guys may want the spot that the 1/10th car is running in so they'll just literally run them over and they'll laugh about it. There are fist fights at the track over this sometimes.

In the good old days, you didn't see this at all. If you had one punk who tried that, everyone else would gang up on them. The track announcer would call out this behavior and you could get black flagged for it. Now it's a free for all bash fest where no one knows how to actually drive anymore. It's about as much speed as you can(t) handle and who you are going to take out of the race to get there first.

I miss the good old days when everyone was there to have fun and if you needed help, the guy you were racing against was willing to help you if he could rather than hurt you. I actually don't care what the cars look like, how they are configured, or which ones they are. I want the old style of drivers back.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

airbats801 wrote:pretty soon there will eb traction control and stability control on rc cars...
This had happened about 10 years ago already. Some German brands did invent traction control using sensors at the wheels.
GM-Racing even went one step further and used a gyro (like helicopters) inside one of their ESC.
You had to connect your steering servo to the ESC now instead to the receiver as usual and servo movement was controlled this way. The ESC was the GM-Racing ASP (ASP = active steering and power control).

This worked so good you didn´t have a chance without this technology on slippery tracks. So this was banned and since this time you can find the according rules in the rulebook.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

V12 wrote:
airbats801 wrote:pretty soon there will eb traction control and stability control on rc cars...
This had happened about 10 years ago already. Some German brands did invent traction control using sensors at the wheels.
GM-Racing even went one step further and used a gyro (like helicopters) inside one of their ESC.
You had to connect your steering servo to the ESC now instead to the receiver as usual and servo movement was controlled this way. The ESC was the GM-Racing ASP (ASP = active steering and power control).

This worked so good you didn´t have a chance without this technology on slippery tracks. So this was banned and since this time you can find the according rules in the rulebook.
v12- are you any related to GM? your alias and the fact you remember the GM gyro (was it in croisilles?), which not people know of.

Thanks
Paul

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Well I know the founder of GM-Racing before he even started the brand but I´m not a member of their racing team or working for them. I was just hanging with them at the pits and I know some of the guys personally.

I´m about 30 years into RC also I´m interested in electronics and things (making my own ESC back in the days) so I have some knowledge.

BTW what means croisilles?

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

V12 wrote:Well I know the founder of GM-Racing before he even started the brand but I´m not a member of their racing team or working for them. I was just hanging with them at the pits and I know some of the guys personally.

I´m about 30 years into RC also I´m interested in electronics and things (making my own ESC back in the days) so I have some knowledge.

BTW what means croisilles?

Croisilles was the french city were the 95 euros were held... where the GM gyro debate happened iirc ;)

If you can hook me up with a Hel 3000 (I think that's the one... with the keyboard) well I'd love to beneficiate from your network :mrgreen:

welcome to the forum :)

Paul

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Thanks Paul.

Well I think there are no Hel 3000 anymore left. I also regret selling my own Hel 3000 years ago (as most of my cars from the past). You can find a Hel 3000 at Ebay sometimes but even that is very rarely.
Yes this ESC with the keyboard was one of the most impressive ESC ever.

I wasn´t at that 95 Euros. I think this was after my offroad era. I did run Pro10 that time.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Got a Hel 3000 ESC today. Actually I persuaded a friend giving me his nonworking unit. This will go into my Vintage RS10G pan car as I was running the car with this ESC in the past.
But now I have to give him another working ESC in trade. That was the deal.